• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Software Data

DaveM

I would really like to see objective test results for the different audio software options for both Windows and MacOS (Intel based) computers. JRiver, foobar 2000, iTunes, Windows media player, Audionirvana+, others? I imagine this might be complicated and the results may be dependent on the controlled test platform components (cable, computer hardware, audio drivers, etc.). I don’t know. Personally, I am interested in results for the USB computer to DAC interface. I would think there would be great interest in this data. I’ve read that iTunes doesn’t have great sound quality but haven’t seen objective data that supports that conclusion. I am currently using the TEAC HR Audio Player software with my MacBook Pro (late 2016) and TEAC NT-505 with the CG-10M clock. I am thinking of moving to JRiver.

DownUnderGazza

Forum Donor
Welcome aboard.
I think you'll find that because this subject has been throughly and objectively tested here and elsewhere, the answer is simple. Unless the software is fundamentally broken, or the DAC is, then you will hear NO (Zero, Zip, Nada, Zilch) difference in Audio Quality between them.
Therefore chose your software based on its convenience to you and features offered.

Try these for starters:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...yers-audirvana-jriver-roon-musicbee-etc.9247/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/about-player-softwares.7759/
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2018/01/audiophile-myth-260-detestable-digital.html

Good luck on your journey.

OP
D

DaveM

Thanks I would have thought this came up before but was unable to find any information on the subject after doing several searches here. I will review the information you’ve referenced!

Tks

Major Contributor
I imagine this might be complicated and the results may be dependent on the controlled test platform components (cable, computer hardware, audio drivers, etc.)

Pretty much this, and is why this won't be happening. The best you could hope for is to know how one specific setup functions on a person's computer.

But the more important thing is, what exactly were you hoping to reveal? Like are you just interested the differences between software? If that's all, then keeping to a single setup and testing various software, is ideal as a first phase. But if you want to know how different hardware functions along with software, that's just not going to happen.

Not that I think any of these pieces of software function much differently than one another (certainly not when people single-out iTunes for bad playback audibly speaking, seeing as how it's a free main-stream solution that would placebo people into adopting this sort of idea once a few people parrot it). As far as hardware, as long as you're not saturating interfaces, or your processing power limits from CPU/RAM perspectives, this stuff is essentially all inconsequential.

DownUnderGazza

Forum Donor
For what its worth, I've used iTunes as my primary playback software since forever.
No problems, no issues, and absolutely no complaints about sound quality.
The loudspeaker <=> room interface is by far the dominant factor in getting a great and satisfying outcome.
Effort put into digital loudspeaker and room node correction pays for itself in huge, obvious and measurable improvements.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I would really like to see objective test results for the different audio software options for both Windows and MacOS (Intel based) computers. JRiver, foobar 2000, iTunes, Windows media player, Audionirvana+, others? I imagine this might be complicated and the results may be dependent on the controlled test platform components (cable, computer hardware, audio drivers, etc.). I don’t know. Personally, I am interested in results for the USB computer to DAC interface. I would think there would be great interest in this data. I’ve read that iTunes doesn’t have great sound quality but haven’t seen objective data that supports that conclusion. I am currently using the TEAC HR Audio Player software with my MacBook Pro (late 2016) and TEAC NT-505 with the CG-10M clock. I am thinking of moving to JRiver.

I recommend JRiver, but the learning curve (if you want to know most features) is rather steep. Their extensive wiki and (somewhat confusing and info scattered) forum should be heavily relied upon and referred to...

Actually, a lot of people here use multiple players -- got iTunes, Foobar, JRiver, Spotify... Same for video. None, I would say, can do absolutely everything. In terms of sound “quality”, they should all be the same.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
But the more important thing is, what exactly were you hoping to reveal?
Not speaking for the OP, but for me, beyond "audibility", this isn't an easy question to answer. Information about playback, processing capabilities and features takes work to find and is hard to track.

In another area I once made a list of every available DAW on the market with the intention of doing some specs-based comparisons. I soon gave up. So much of software is to do with user workflow, the "mental map" of what you're doing. Actual features take second place to reliability and lack of frustration (no obvious bugs, weird behaviour, random clicks, pops, meter readings).

Reactions: Tks
Top Bottom