• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio (Single ended, Balanced XLR etc.) cable providers

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi, I've been upgrading my audio setup and as I moved along the journey, I've noticed that with the kind of costs balanced XLR cables have... They easily have the potential to cost just about most of the reasonable DAC+AMP Combos themselves... Sometimes more! This is especially true of you have 2 or more headphones and you want to upgrade their stock single ended cables to balanced... The costs add up.

So, I'm having to upgrade 2 of my headphone cables as I've gone from fully single ended to fully balanced in my setup. I wanted to know the best and most reasonably priced suppliers of quality cables for this purpose. To put things into perspective, I need to upgrade my HD 650 and my HiFiMan Sundara cables and they both cost each $68 plus tax plus shipping at PeriApt and slightly less at Dyson Audio... I feel cables shouldn't be this expensive but who am I to know. Hence the question.

Does anyone know of decent suppliers or providers of audio cables (balanced XLR 4 pin, 3 pin extensions etc.) who don't cost an arm and a leg and are reasonably constructed. Anywhere in the world would do! Thanks

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I buy my balanced headphone cables off eBay.
and other cables from Monoprice.

deafenears

Forum Donor
Buy some 4-pin XLR male+female adapters and a soldering iron. Cut the existing cable wiring both the male and female in between. You'll then have a versatile cable which could be used for both balanced and single-ended.

Google online for instructions.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Hi, I've been upgrading my audio setup and as I moved along the journey, I've noticed that with the kind of costs balanced XLR cables have... They easily have the potential to cost just about most of the reasonable DAC+AMP Combos themselves... Sometimes more! This is especially true of you have 2 or more headphones and you want to upgrade their stock single ended cables to balanced... The costs add up.

So, I'm having to upgrade 2 of my headphone cables as I've gone from fully single ended to fully balanced in my setup. I wanted to know the best and most reasonably priced suppliers of quality cables for this purpose. To put things into perspective, I need to upgrade my HD 650 and my HiFiMan Sundara cables and they both cost each $68 plus tax plus shipping at PeriApt and slightly less at Dyson Audio... I feel cables shouldn't be this expensive but who am I to know. Hence the question.

Does anyone know of decent suppliers or providers of audio cables (balanced XLR 4 pin, 3 pin extensions etc.) who don't cost an arm and a leg and are reasonably constructed. Anywhere in the world would do! Thanks
Have to say that I don't think $68 is outrageously expensive. You will find decent quality a bit cheaper but not much if you want known quantities such as belden/canare/mogami cable and amphenol/nuetrik connectors.

Last edited:

dweekie

Thanks. What about Dyson Audio.... Has anyone had any experience with them?

https://www.dysonaudio.com/products...in-xlr-headphone-cable?variant=17426170740793

I don't know the company, but the parts are fairly standard for diy cable builds. It looks perfectly functional. I'd prefer breaking apart the cables and wrapping in techflex or paracord to make it more flexible and prettier, but that's where the extra cost of the Periapt comes in. For the bargain basement price, re-terminating stock cables is the cheapest method as previously mentioned. Periapt, DIY, retermination - they're all decent options based on how much time and money you want to spend.

Veri

Master Contributor
Last edited:

Celty

I went Periapt for both HE4XX and HD6XX headphones, and have been pleased with the quality.

Top Bottom