• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Sequencer with IR Learning - Turning Powered Monitors Off Before TV

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
General: Need a way to use a power sequencer that can be controlled via the TV remote, something that can learn the IR "code" for when I turn off the TV, and quickly shut down powered monitors in the 2-3 seconds it takes for the TV to turn off and make a pop sound.

Specific Situation: I have Genelec 8260 monitors being fed AES over XLR via a Dolby DP564 surround sound decoder plugged into my TV via optical. The TV turns off, and a couple of seconds later the DP564 realizes there is no signal, and sends out a loud pop through the BNC connectors running 75 ohm AESiD which gets converted to 110ohm via some seacom XLR adaptors.

Not sure if there is a way to trigger turning things off, but I could look at using something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...title_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A15FO7ZPW6GUAV

And maybe that would shut of the Genelec monitors before the DP564 does its hard cutoff.

If not, are there any power sequencers that work with TV remotes? I have a MiniDSP that is able to power down the analog outputs just fine without popping when it doesn't detect optical audio anymore. I wish the Dolby DP564 would do the same.

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
New possible solution: Take the AES output from the DP564, run it into a HOSA 312 AES/Optical converter, take the optical output and loop it to the optical input, then take that AES output to the Genelec system.

This should: Remove the possibility of a DC thump, and if there is one, it would be experienced by the HOSA unit and not likely encoded and sent out to the optical, and if it did, hopefully not pass another conversion to AES.

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Update: there is no thump/no pop when using the XLR output of the Dolby DP564. There is also no thump in the connected 7271 Genelec subwoofer which is connected digitally.

Note: the DP564 outputs digital and analog signals simultaneously... Putting it in competition with $16,000 systems that do the same like the Theta Casablanca for people who just want 5.1 or 7.1. The DP564 also doesn't seem to add any hiss to Genelec 8260 monitors whether for digital input or analog input.

Hopefully this thread is useful for someone in the future curious about a cheap surround sound processor with xlr outputs and digital AES output.

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Updated: The Dolby DP564 seems to have some pop now in the surround speakers if ProLogic is turned on. They are hooked up with analog XLR, and after realizing that ProLogic is fake surround and has issues with many songs and volume pumping and shifting the sound-stage, I've disabled it.

No more popping.

OP
stevenswall

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It does not work out of the box with remotes. It will accept a 12volt trigger signal or a switch closure. Or a button press on its panel.

PM me your email address and I will send you the manuals.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This would be possible with a Logitech Harmony remote with a macro programmed to switch off the Genelecs, with a delay before switching off the TV. You'd need a US equivalent to the Lime IR controlled mains switch that I use to control my MTM monitors (with a spare key on my Topping remote)...

On the LIME Energy Saving Plug: Review (2011) - Earth Notes

I use an IEC splitter cable to connect both monitors to the Lime switch...

kenable IEC Splitter Cable C14 Plug to 2 x C13 Socket Y: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

You could also achieve the desired result with smart plugs controlled with Alexa routines and voice control.

Last edited:
Top Bottom