• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Science Review VS Sound & Recording : who has the more accurate on-axis measurements?

HereYaGo

didnt read thread just wanted to say trash mids are trash

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-05 083116.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-05 083116.png
    270.8 KB · Views: 149

Ilkka Rissanen

Technical Expert
Audio Company
Although...that has me wondering if I'd pay 20% more for an individually equalized response :D. I imagine that's gonna give you just about the flattest response ever.
I wonder if Genelec measures every single 8351b? Probably not, but if they do, it would be awesome if GLM could use the monitor's serial number and measurements as a part of its equalization algorithm. That would give GLM a boon that other DRCs (Dirac, Audiolense, etc.) could never have. I did see where @Thomas Lund said that GLM 4 takes into account the speaker's response, but I don't know if he was talking about the speaker as a whole, or each individual speaker. I'm assuming the former, but the latter would be awesome, even if they had to charge a little more for it.
Well Neumann measures each individual speaker they sell and saves those measurements so it's certainly possible that Genelec does the same. Maybe @Ilkka Rissanen knows?
Genelec measures AND individually calibrates/equalizes every monitor and subwoofer we manufacture. Yes, it is part of the EOL calibration process to apply individual equalization using built-in filters beyond what you see available in GLM. We don't do pair matching because that would be too easy, instead, for example every 8351B coming off the line is matched to each other and the golden reference unit. There would not be any benefit in applying additional individual equalization in GLM beyond what we already do. We can send you a bill for 20% extra, thank you! :D

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec measures AND individually calibrates/equalizes every monitor and subwoofer we manufacture. Yes, it is part of the EOL calibration process to apply individual equalization using built-in filters beyond what you see available in GLM. We don't do pair matching because that would be too easy, instead, for example every 8351B coming off the line is matched to each other and the golden reference unit. There would not be any benefit in applying additional individual equalization in GLM beyond what we already do. We can send you a bill for 20% extra, thank you! :D

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Also, are you able to share what the calculated distance is that you normally use in the measurements you publish?
It follows the spec requirements of 2 meter and reported at 1 meter. This is set by Klippel software and hence the reason changing it takes a bit of work.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It follows the spec requirements of 2 meter and reported at 1 meter. This is set by Klippel software and hence the reason changing it takes a bit of work.

Thanks Amir, and yeh, no need to actually do it. Just thought it would be an interesting exercise.

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
wait...isn't it the other way around?
You may be thinking about air absorption - which, with increasing distance, will indeed absorb high frequencies more than the lows.
However here it was explained how sound source directivity impacts SPL with distance, which is a separate mechanism and indeed behaves as @andreasmaaan described.

whazzup

Addicted to Fun and Learning

The next time I see another 'they may measure the same, but they won't sound the same' comment, I'm going to ask the guy to go ABX a pair of genelecs.

Top Bottom