• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Science Review is not listed @ Wikipedia.

JSmith

Master Contributor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
ASR has a mention here in "Audio Equipment Testing";
Cool! What does it take to make the mention a link to us? "The leading objective audio equipment review site is Audio Science Review"

MalinYamato

Wiki has become woke and Political Correct, not very reliable as a source anymore.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Josq

Did a search for us on Wiki and was surprised to see links to us in audiquest page! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AudioQuest

1. "AudioQuest Wind High-end Cable Review". Audio Science Review.
Yeah this is where ASR can be really useful on Wikipedia. Company has received a lot of awards, but Wikipedia needs to be neutral and take into account all relevant sources. And, thanks to objective measurements, ASR is a relevant source that says not all is well with company products.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
Did a search for us on Wiki and was surprised to see links to us in audioquest page!
Well... that was rather unexpected! :cool:
What does it take to make the mention a link to us?
I think it is just a matter of a registered user making an alteration and it being approved by Wiki mods, will look into it further for you.

JSmith

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Wiki has become woke and Political Correct, not very reliable as a source anymore.
The issue is not political outlook but that what Wikipedia recognizes as evidence is published books, articles, etc., following a more scholarly standard. However ASR is mostly mentioned on fora and blogs, which are deemed informal and therefore not acceptable or reliable sources.

This is the talk page I started. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Suonii180#Deletion_of_Audio_Science_Review

Amir, frankly, has enough of a personal history to merit his own Wiki entry (for example the Emmy technical awards, or his Unix book). That doesn't lend any credence to the ASR entry, however, since it's considered separate.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
The admin got back to me.
Hi! I don't think the Wall Street Journal article contributes much to the notability of Audio Science Review as the quoted statement only mentions it in passing and does not provide in-depth coverage of the website.
Also most YouTube videos should not be used as references as per WP:RSPYT. Blogs are also often self-published sources and most of the time they shouldn't be used as sources as per WP:SELFPUBLISH.
Looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Notability "notability" is not determined by importance, but by verifiability through secondary sources, and what we have isn't enough.

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There seems to have been a wiki article on ASR at some point:

@amirm how would you feel about getting a wiki page? There is an exactly analogous situation here with Dave. He also has a YouTube channel for his forum:

Microsoft's article is a source on Amir Majidimehr, General Manager, Windows Digital Media Division, so I guess Amir is not gonna object:

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There seems to have been a wiki article on ASR at some point:

@amirm how would you feel about getting a wiki page? There is an exactly analogous situation here with Dave. He also has a YouTube channel for his forum:

Microsoft's article is a source on Amir Majidimehr, General Manager, Windows Digital Media Division, so I guess Amir is not gonna object:
There was a Wiki page on ASR. It was hacked by pricks a few times and then after ~ a year or so Wikipedia closed the page because there are no publicized references to it. They said it seemed like a infomercial or something like that.

Last edited:

Audiofire

Forum Donor
There was a Wiki page on ASR. It was hacked by pricks a few times and then after ~ a year or so Wikipedia closed the page because there are no publicized references to it. They said it seemed like a infomercial or something like that.
Incidentally, there are publicized references to the notable achievements Amir has made to Windows media technology, and making popular audio product reviews as well as exposing audiophile BS. This makes him a candidate for a wiki page, even if he does object:

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Incidentally, there are publicized references to the notable achievements Amir has made to both Windows media technology, and making popular audio product reviews as well as exposing audiophile BS. This makes him a candidate for a wiki page, even if he does object:

Yes, all true and relevant although they said it was not relevant and was advertising of sorts. The admin of Wiki was very sticky about it. You wanna give it another go? I'm up for it if I can find my notes or another peep has updated notes. What ASR needs is a late night TV show to interview of @amirm it sounds outlandish but I've seen it before with a electronic website owner from Kelowna BC with his website called Sphere Research. It used to be a amazing website of parts and equipment but that has dissolved a lot.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't think it is worth the effort. It is not like someone will research us on Wiki. In the olden days, we didn't have as much reach so having a link from Wiki would have been good. But today, it won't matter much.

We can revisit when we have more external references.

As to doing one me, I don't think I need a page there. Appreciate the suggestion anyway.

Audiofire

Forum Donor
Amir mentioned in the Joe N Tell interview that he spent a lot of time on writing a book once, kind of interesting to find the title and it must be this one:
"Amir Majidimehr is Senior Director of Engineering at Sony Microsystems, San Jose, California where he is in charge of workstation development. Previously, as an engineer in the UNIX Development Group at Gould, Inc., he wrote many device drivers and extensively rewrote major portions of BSD and System V operating systems. He has taught many classes in UNIX internals and performance tuning."

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hey you all. How about we take another shot at creating a Wiki page?

I am thinking of a short, matter of fact page about what we do. There are now Wiki pages that link to us (MQA, Tidal, Schiit). I have my AES paper. Sean Olive's headphone paper refers to ASR. As does the AES paper on 5128 headphone fixture.

Something along the lines of:

"Audio Science Review (ASR) is a website that has reviews of audio equipment and software plus discussion forum. Reviews are based on objective measurements and cover amplifiers, dacs, speakers, phono stages, etc..." As of XYZ date, there are XXXX reviews published. The site also includes discussions of underlying research and engineering of audio products and sound reproduction in general. ASR was founded by Amir Majidimehr (we can link to my LinkedIn page).

We don't need the publicity but it irks me that there is nothing there. :)

What say you?

Top Bottom