• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio routing

Feyire

I'm trying to see if I can route the audio from my TV (optical/SPDIF out) to a Raspberry Pie 4. But the question is how.

One possibility is a SPDIF to USB converter, but from what I've seen, these are very rare or expensive. Anyone have an idea for alternative connection options?

Here is the overview of my chain:

AudioSetupOverview.png

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
RPi has DSP that @Feyire is using.

@Feyire I don't have an answer to your question, but I wonder if the solution won't entail too much lag, especially for gaming. Doesn't the PS4 itself have optical out? That might be better if you end up going with that connection.

OP
Feyire

Feyire

RPi has DSP that @Feyire is using.
That's correct. I mention this in the graphic, but the text is small, so I apologize for that not being clear.

I don't have an answer to your question, but I wonder if the solution won't entail too much lag, especially for gaming.
I'd only like this particular setup for non-live critical music listening, where latency is not an issue. For gaming, I'd just put the optical out straight to the DAC optical input (i.e. ignore the DSP on the RPi4)

Doesn't the PS4 itself have optical out? That might be better if you end up going with that connection.
My PS4 does have optical out, and in the beginning I did have it connected directly from PS4 to the DAC optical in, but this caused audio/video sync issues - much to my surprise. So then I changed the setup and instead used the optical out from the TV and connected that directly to the DAC optical in, and the audio/video sync issue was gone.

OP
Feyire

Feyire

Another option I can think of, would be to route the optical out from the TV to a separate Bluetooth Audio Transmitter with optical in. The RPi4 should then be able to pick this up with its Bluetooth module. Bit ridiculous though, hmm..

Top Bottom