• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio routing question for Mac running virtual Windows 10.

1niltothe

Hi. I am trying to set up Audiolense XO on a MacBook running Windows 10 inside Parallel. I posted a similar question on the Audiolense forum but wanted to see if anyone has a more general opinion about possible options.

My DAC is a 1st gen Scarlett 18i20. It works fine on the Mac, e.g. for REW - measurement mic and monitors are all seamless.

However, inside Parallel, Windows 10 can't find the Scarlett. I've installed the PC driver, but neither the Scarlett MixControl, nor Audiolense, nor the Windows sound control options can locate the interface.

Now, on one level, it doesn't matter - any sound that's played from inside the virtual machine is routed by Parallel out through the Scarlett via my Mac. If I just wanted to listen to Audirvana or whatever, no problem.

However, currently, Audiolense doesn't work. I am assuming this is because it needs to be directly connected to the Scarlett, because the native sound card inside Mac is not right, or not currently set up properly.

I don't know what to do next.

Does anybody have any ideas?

It seems like the broad options are:

1) Find another routing option inside Windows 10 that Audiolense likes. I assume this might be to do with ASIO? Or some other routing software like BlackHole or Element? Is there anything I can do to the sound card to make it work with Audiolense?

2) Try something on Mac that can be exported / routed into Windows Virtual machine? I don't know what this might be.

3) Figure out why the Scarlett 18i20 is not being picked up by Parallel. I have tried a lot of options. I have a horrible feeling it's because it's a 1st generation USB 2.0 interface, just a bit outdated, though if anyone has ideas then I'd love to hear.

pcdocstl

To connect your external device directly to your parallels virtual machine first power down the mac and disconnect the DACs corresponding cable.

With the DAC disconnected from the mac, power up the mac and ensure that your parallels virtual machine is UP AND RUNNING.

Connect your DAC to the Mac using the same USB cable you disconnected earlier and select the WINDOWS VIRTUAL MACHINE in the dialog box that pops up after connecting the DAC. DO NOT choose the MAC or you will have to start these instructions over again.

NOTE: If the DAC was already connected to the Mac side before the virtual machine start, follow the steps below.

In the Mac menu click on Devices > USB & Bluetooth > "device_name". If you reopen the same menu, a tick should be shown next to this device's name if it's connected to guest OS.

Your device is now connected directly to the parallels virtual machine and is no longer visible on Mac.
This type of connection allows you to enable your parallels virtual machine to use all the functionalities of your device just as if you were on an actual windows PC.

Reference: https://kb.parallels.com/122993

Top Bottom