• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Research in trouble

jensgk

Forum Donor
It seems that Audio Research is in deep trouble:

Fidji

they were sold by McIntosh Group couple of years ago, so probably one biz case more that did not work out for the buyer. One of handful truly iconic Hifi brands, so I assume somebody will acquire the rights.

I had full set of their electronics and it was not bad, although tube power amp is always a chore. it pared well with Wilson Audios. Happy to own them, equally happy to have sold them at good price.

I even had Class D amp from them (not a lot of people know, that they produced such thing) as second Amp. Power supply was noisy like hell.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thanks for this. I posted over on WBF. My experience with ARC has been mixed over the years but I would hate to see them go under. Sounds like another sale and/or transfer of ownership is in the works.

Waxx

Major Contributor
What i hear is that this procedure is to settle the debt before a sale to a new owner. The financial situation is bad, but it's not bankrupt or stopping operations. It's a financial clean up before a new owner will take over the bussiness as the old was not capable anymore to run it right. It was requested by the futur owner to clear out it's dept/asset balance so he gets no surprises and pays the right price. More info should be soon on the FB and website was said.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm. Maybe private equity will pick it the assets.
Probably... then expect this:

New Audio Research.png

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
^^^ yeah, that's what I was thinking. The name may go the same way as many once-iconic brand names (e.g., Altec, Fisher, Sylvania, Admiral, Sansui*) and begin showing up on generic audio (and/or video) products on sale at one's neighborhood Walmart! :(

1684012940394.png

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Seems like it was sold for $1M?!

I am surprised Samsung didn’t buy it just to get one more brand to apply to their automotive line up.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Seems like it was sold for $1M?!

I am surprised Samsung didn’t buy it just to get one more brand to apply to their automotive line up.

$1M is probably about what you'd pay for the trademark so you could slap it on some of the questionable gear pictured in this thread.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$1M is probably about what you'd pay for the trademark so you could slap it on some of the questionable gear pictured in this thread.
Seems like it is a deal! The rest of the debt was secured. Coming up with a new domain name and logo is hard enough, even if you had no brand equity

The real question is what they can do in the face of supply chain issues. ARC tried Class D early on, and they could pull a McIntosh and utilize HypeX. They could build a 300B product and have access to WE or just work with JJ electronics to secure enough for the next round.

Tom C

Major Contributor
What was sold was the assets no creditor had a claim on. The name may be the most valuable unencumbered asset remaining.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The real question is what they can do in the face of supply chain issues.

If they don't keep the distributor network from the previous company, that will also be a huge challenge. For $1M, you wouldn't expect them to even get the existing inventory, let alone employees and whatnot, so you really have to wonder. Are they starting from scratch?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Haven't they been in trouble for quite a while and not done anything about it?

Tom C

Major Contributor
Of course they don’t get the existing inventory. The creditors already have claim on that.

Waxx

Major Contributor
It seems that nobody read the article. Everything (incls the factory and it's inventory) is sold and the new owner is already running the company inclusive the factory. And he is not planning to change the products, only manage it better to earn.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I read the article, but didn’t see where the details of the liquidation were specified. Wait, the company wasn’t liquidated. For the time being, it’s a going concern, so in addition to the cash price, the new owner must have assumed responsibility for the debt. The cash price would then determine what the seller is entitled to, before receivership costs. Again, seller can’t collect on what the debtors have legal claim to. It’s the whole point of this process.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Top Bottom