• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Questions & Troubleshoot

antcollinet

Master Contributor
A question for the Audio Professionals in here, if I wanted to completely bypass the whole USB from PC sound, to something else that could potentially be better, what are my options? I know Bluetooth, but I would prefer something wired that gives me full quality. Is there a way? I don't know if it's possible to get sound off a PC apart from USB DAC...
Many motherboards have an SPDIF interface that you can connect a simple Toslink or Coax panel to. What motherboard do you have?

EDIT - never mind I found it ealier - MEG X670E ACE

Looked up the specs - it says it supports SPDF out. You can probably use something like this - but check your MB connections.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
But as soon as these Audio stutters/Skips happen, the FPS drop from 175 to 170.

Select a lower frame rate?

Why so high in the first place?

If it's an ignorant question, well, excuse me.

antcollinet

Master Contributor

Yeah - if you are gaming - especially at high frame rates - at the same time as listening to music there is a good chance you are hitting CPU or GPU performance limits which could cause everything to stutter.

OP
M

MarioSH

Many motherboards have an SPDIF interface that you can connect a simple Toslink or Coax panel to. What motherboard do you have?

Looked up the specs - it says it supports SPDF out. You can probably use something like this - but check your MB connections.

Thank you!

Yeah - if you are gaming - especially at high frame rates - at the same time as listening to music there is a good chance you are hitting CPU or GPU performance limits which could cause everything to stutter.

That's the refresh rate I've been running with since my older PC, I never had any issues, and the 175 FPS is not necessarily in games, it's just what the UFO detects my Refresh rate is set at.

OP
M

MarioSH

So looking at my MB, it has a S/PDIF Out at the back, but if I plug that to my Topping DX7, it works but sound signal seems to be going on and off. Like it picks 44.1khz but then randomly drops, and picks it up again. Is it because it's coming out of the MB On board sound or any idea?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
So looking at my MB, it has a S/PDIF Out at the back, but if I plug that to my Topping DX7, it works but sound signal seems to be going on and off. Like it picks 44.1khz but then randomly drops, and picks it up again. Is it because it's coming out of the MB On board sound or any idea?
Make sure the optical connections are fully inserted. They should click when they are in properly. If you can try another interconnect.

Otherwise it should be working fine.

Have you overclocked your system?

Last edited:

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A question for the Audio Professionals in here, if I wanted to completely bypass the whole USB from PC sound, to something else that could potentially be better, what are my options?
I think it's fair to say that if you are having audio issues on both USB and S/PDIF, there is something causing a bottleneck. Just for kicks, try temporarily reducing your "Screen refresh rate" to 60 or 75 Hz.

OP
M

MarioSH

Make sure the optical connections are fully inserted. They should click when they are in properly. If you can try another interconnect.

Otherwise it should be working fine.

Have you overclocked your system?

Nope no overclock. I’m pretty sure I inserted the connector fully, but for some reason the audio just keeps cutting out.

It picks up 44.1khz, then randomly drops to - - - then picks it up again. Not sure what could be going on there.

boxerfan88

check that your sound device has exclusive mode enabled.

configure your playback software to use exclusive mode wasapi to connect to your DAC. (this will prevent/block other software from grabbing or interfering with the DAC.)

hopefully this helps. it’s a long shot.

OP
M

MarioSH

check that your sound device has exclusive mode enabled.

configure your playback software to use exclusive mode wasapi to connect to your DAC. (this will prevent/block other software from grabbing or interfering with the DAC.)

hopefully this helps. it’s a long shot.

Sorry I have no clue how to do that?

I’m trying one last software thing and that’s installing Windows 10, if the problem is still happening in Windows 10 I’ll assume I have some sort of hardware failure somewhere.

boxerfan88

Sorry I have no clue how to do that?

Goto Sound Control Panel

2023-04-27-07-07-43-new-1-Notepad.png

Top Bottom