• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Precision test equipment recommendations for vintage audio equipment

VAA

Hi All,
This is my first post here and it's of coarse to ask for some help, LOL. I'm a vintage audio collector, restorer, repairer who is strictly a hobbyist. I only work on my own equipment. Most of it is from the 1960's through the early 80's. I presently own some Sound Technology test equipment including a ST-1510A tape deck analyzer and a ST-3200A audio analyzer. I was thinking a piece of AP gear would be something that I would enjoy playing around with. Maybe trying to do some of the testing like was done back in the day by Stereo Review and other magazines. I'm figuring that a vintage piece of AP gear from the same era would work fine for my situation. I've done some internet research but I was wondering if anyone here would have a AP product or even another brand that might fit my needs that I can be on the look out for.

Thanks
Chris

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
I don’t have a good answer for you, but I love and follow your YouTube channel! I really enjoy watching you work on your vintage equipment. I always learn something.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi All,
This is my first post here and it's of coarse to ask for some help, LOL. I'm a vintage audio collector, restorer, repairer who is strictly a hobbyist. I only work on my own equipment. Most of it is from the 1960's through the early 80's. I presently own some Sound Technology test equipment including a ST-1510A tape deck analyzer and a ST-3200A audio analyzer. I was thinking a piece of AP gear would be something that I would enjoy playing around with. Maybe trying to do some of the testing like was done back in the day by Stereo Review and other magazines. I'm figuring that a vintage piece of AP gear from the same era would work fine for my situation. I've done some internet research but I was wondering if anyone here would have a AP product or even another brand that might fit my needs that I can be on the look out for.

Thanks
Chris

@restorer-john will likely have an idea

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've done some internet research but I was wondering if anyone here would have a AP product or even another brand that might fit my needs that I can be on the look out for.
A high-end audio interface and REW are good test instruments for vintage audio equipment. REW is Room EQ Wizard that has a spectrum analyzer and other functions:

A voltage divider is used for a power amplifier, so that its output voltage does not destroy the line level input on an audio interface. REW performs the same kind of measurements on input signals as an Audio Precision analyzer:
The transfer function measurement provides the complex frequency response function for a device, including the magnitude and phase (or real and imaginary components), using any broadband signal.

This feature, a powerful addition to APx software’s Sequence Mode, allows any APx analyzer to be used as a multichannel dynamic signal analyzer or as a so called dual-channel FFT analyzer. With transfer function and any broadband signal, including speech, music or noise, APx users can now assess the complex frequency response, coherence, and impulse response of their device or system.

Last edited:
Top Bottom