• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio phenomenon with violins

OP
PingWine

PingWine

If it is mainly only about this frequency range, it should be possible to isolate the problem.

Are there objects that could function as resonators (small alcoves, fireplace, ...)? Does the behavior change if the speakers are positioned differently?...
Is the listening position free from possible (resonating, reflecting) influences...
You didn't give us much information about what you have already tried.

In the range 0.8-1.2 kHz the horizontal angular frequency responses of the KH80 show increased sound pressure, this could be treated with EQ.
View attachment 94876
I don't see anything that could be resonating and I don't believe that it would be the issue. Reflecting surfaces there are plenty, the nearest horizontal wall to my left speaker is about 50cm and 25cm on the right side. The speakers have been raised to 40cm from the table.

And what comes to EQ:ing, I tried the 800Hz-1200Hz as you recommended but it didn't really affect the sound. I believe that this problem is a room problem, not a frequency response one. Though of course you can cut peaks, but I can't really identify any one range of frequencies contributing to the painful effect

Ps. Those measurements you attached were the first of Amir's and if I understood correctly, it wasn't properly measured that time around.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And what comes to EQ:ing, I tried the 800Hz-1200Hz as you recommended but it didn't really affect the sound. I believe that this problem is a room problem, not a frequency response one. Though of course you can cut peaks, but I can't really identify any one range of frequencies contributing to the painful effect

Your speakers are really close to the sidewalls. Whether it resolves this particular problem or not, I'd suggest absorbing that reflection with thick rockwool or similar absorbers, if at all possible :)

OP
PingWine

PingWine

Your speakers are really close to the sidewalls. Whether it resolves this particular problem or not, I'd suggest absorbing that reflection with thick rockwool or similar absorbers, if at all possible :)
The "wall" on the left side of me is a window and I can't quite cover that and on the right... In theory I could put something there but it would largely interfere with my mouse space :/

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The "wall" on the left side of me is a window and I can't quite cover that and on the right... In theory I could put something there but it would largely interfere with my mouse space :/

You could also try angling the speakers away from the wall and towards (or even slightly past) the listening position (if they're not already) :)

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see anything that could be resonating and I don't believe that it would be the issue. Reflecting surfaces there are plenty, the nearest horizontal wall to my left speaker is about 50cm and 25cm on the right side. The speakers have been raised to 40cm from the table.
This information would have been helpful at the beginning of the thread.

For example, when Toole writes about the advantages of early reflections in his book, it is in the context of hearing in the diffuse field - which is usually fulfilled in normal stereo listening (equilateral hearing triangle of 2.5-4m side length).

Your listening distance (which you didn't mention) seems to be rather in the near field of the loudspeakers, i.e. with a lot of direct sound.

The reflections occurring there are destructive and do not contribute to an improvement of the sound.

If we look at the contribution of the reflections of the side wall 25cm away and the table surface 40cm away, the following results at 70cm listening distance at the height of the tweeter (with low absorption of the surfaces):
1605976202703.png

Although the tool used is for the simulation of baffle effects, what it does show us is that the near boundary surfaces can lead to comb filter effects, which can be in the range of +-5dB in the frequency range around 1kHz (depending on the absorption of the surfaces, at 70cm listening distance).

OP
PingWine

PingWine

In my REW measurements the peak is a little lower in frequency but yeah it does peak a little and then drop off pretty bad about at 1,2k

Ps. I put my REW measurements as an attatchment (apparently not as the site doesn't accept mdat files. The file can be found here) if someone can read them better than I can. Note that I have adressed the peak at 130Hz with my equalizer APO so no need to help me there. The measurements were done with Sonarworks microphone pointed at my ceiling. My listening distance is about 65cm and the distance between speakers is 85cm. Smoothing in the pic is 1/12

1605981648032.png

OP
PingWine

PingWine

You could also try angling the speakers away from the wall and towards (or even slightly past) the listening position (if they're not already) :)
Currently I already have the speakers further apart than they should be (for a triangle formation) just so I can toe them in more and reduce wall reflections :p

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Currently I already have the speakers further apart than they should be (for a triangle formation) just so I can toe them in more and reduce wall reflections :p
My room is 10.6 feet wide. When I moved my speakers inward to 7.5 ft from tweeter to tweeter, and forward so that their front faces are 2.5 ft from the front wall and 7.5 ft from my seat, and angled slightly away from the walls but crossing behind me, they became much more enjoyable to listen to. Less direct and more detailed. I presume reducing the ratio of reflected sound in the mix is the reason for the benefit.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Ok, but IIUC before, you have them only 50cm and 25cm from the sidewalls - is that right?

I'd understood that it wasn't possible to bring them any further in from the walls. Now I'm confused, lol.

Anyway, the relative level of the sidewall reflections will be increased the closer you have the speakers to the sidewalls. In addition to that, you'll reduce the delay of the reflections, i.e. they will arrive closer in time and relatively higher in level. Both of these things are not good!

Sorry if I still haven't understood your setup there...

Last edited:
Top Bottom