• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio out USB port or ?

LouB

We just bought a Sony Bravia OLED (wow what a picture !) I'm wondering if there is way to use my 2 channel amp & speakers for the sound ? The amp is a Marantz PM8006 it only has RCA input connections. Is there a device that would have optical or USP inputs and have RCA outputs ? The TV has 2 USB audio outs, 1 optical out & HDMI eARC. Due to "new" living room situation my only choice is 2 or 2.1 channel set up.
Thanks

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We just bought a Sony Bravia OLED (wow what a picture !) I'm wondering if there is way to use my 2 channel amp & speakers for the sound ? The amp is a Marantz PM8006 it only has RCA input connections. Is there a device that would have optical or USP inputs and have RCA outputs ? The TV has 2 USB audio outs, 1 optical out & HDMI eARC. Due to "new" living room situation my only choice is 2 or 2.1 channel set up.
Thanks
Just get a DAC and use the optical out from the display and you're all set.. example Topping EX series.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What model Sony? I didn't know any of them had USB audio OUT ?

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks ! I'll check that out
That's how I do it, but with active speakers in a couple of bedrooms. The inexpensive Topping and SMSL DACs that Amir has measured would work fine, some have slightly different features, ie XLR and RCA outputs vs just RCA and headphone amplifiers, etc..

formdissolve

Forum Donor
That's how I do it, but with active speakers in a couple of bedrooms. The inexpensive Topping and SMSL DACs that Amir has measured would work fine, some have slightly different features, ie XLR and RCA outputs vs just RCA and headphone amplifiers, etc..
Topping DACs have issues with some Optical ports. They dropped constantly with my LG TV and a Pioneer DVD player. I have an SMSL and it basically has no issues with the optical over LG. Not sure if Sony's have issues with Topping, but I'd suggest an SMSL or something similar.

Zek

Major Contributor

Zek

Major Contributor
According to the specification, it seems that it only has an SPDIF audio output, and that the USB ports are intended for playback.
Screenshot 2023-03-25 at 15.59.12.png

Screenshot 2023-03-25 at 15.58.26.png

OP
L

LouB

They don't out of the box, you have to side load an app, in other words it's a PIA. I think he was asking not telling...
Yeah, I just assumed they were outputs because it says digital Audio out. Of course I didn't read the manual ! I'll google SMSL I'm don't know what those are & that Fioio Taishan looks really good at 15 bucks ! I was looking the Topping Dac at about 240 or the Schiit DAC for abou 130. If I can it done for 15 bucks that's pretty awesome. Thanks everyone for the help !
usb.jpg

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The inexpensive Topping and SMSL DACs that Amir has measured would work fine
Or maybe they won't. At all... Several Topping DACs have issues through toslink that they can't fix without DPLL settings. I've heard the same from SMSL C200, but there is at least a setting to fix it.

Anyway, this particular TV can't output audio through USB, only by toslink or eARC.

OP
L

LouB

Topping DACs have issues with some Optical ports. They dropped constantly with my LG TV and a Pioneer DVD player. I have an SMSL and it basically has no issues with the optical over LG. Not sure if Sony's have issues with Topping, but I'd suggest an SMSL or something similar.
Thanks for heads up on SMSL, I started looking at DAC's & was liking the Schiit Modi + for 129 bucks I emailed Schiit to see if there USB input would work with an Iphone & there response was the Optical port would work with the TV but it doesn't have Bluetooth ? So emailed em back & have not gotten a response. So I looked at this, SMSL https://apos.audio/products/smsl-d-...6QJZrWSiAfsMijmGNqYEDD6pz0-45pmBoCQ_MQAvD_BwE
And it has Bluetooth so I'm guessing it will work with any Bluetooth device which would be a nice feature along with TV audio & seems well worth the extra 40 bucks at 169.00.
Are you using a D-6 or a different SMSL ?
Thanks

JSmith

Master Contributor
I don't think the SMSL D-6 has a DPLL setting available. The DO100 does though;

JSmith

OP
L

LouB

Didn't know about DPLL at all, after reading some on ASR it seems what I'm trying to do with a DAC can be hit or miss ? I also read where a TV optical outputs are considered "dirty" whatever that means. I also read about popping & noise problems with the SMSL D100 and possible firmware updates ?
Anyway I emailed SMSL to get there advice on using a D100 or D-6 and how the D-6 handles DPLL or if DPLL is needed on the D-6. So bottom line I guess is buy one from a retailer that has a great return policy. Apparently user pvehling has an SMSL working with no problems.

Top Bottom