• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio measurement gear

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Blumlein 88 really recommend taking a look at this software. :)
Yes I think I will. Give the trial a go anyhow. I'll read the manual enough I don't feel I'm wasting my trial period.

Haven't forgotten your measurements on IMD btw. Been busy and doing some hardware upgrades to some computers. Might get to it tomorrow.

I hate that it is windows only. Was trying to divest myself of everything windows.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
For me the software is quite intuitive, the only issue that caught me out (because Im a bloke and I didnt RTFM ) is the block length for the FFT. If you dont set it long enough you wont get a proper FFT. Pay attention to page 58 in the manual, 2.3.4 Record Length per Sweep.

It can be enabled via [Setting]>[Display]>[Enable Record Length change via "Point" in Sampling Parameter Toolbar].

you also need a scope measurement active. Increase record length until FFT Segments = 1. It will depend upon your FFT resolution obviously

FFT Segment >1
1532844103091.png

FFT Segment =1
1532844239653.png

Not sure why you wouldnt make this automatic as other software does but it does give you more flexibility.

Also check out the group buy, I have signed up.

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audio-measurement-gear.113/post-82263

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...-autoranging-autoscaling-soundcard-users.html

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It is cool that it can show that display but the labels are hard to read in either configuration. Does it let you change the fonts/size on them?

Yes, to a limited degree. Here's screenshot with the fonts enlarged. I wish it would go bigger, but it's definitely more readable than the default.
screenshot.png

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes, to a limited degree. Here's screenshot with the fonts enlarged. I wish it would go bigger, but it's definitely more readable than the default.
I meant the fonts in the meters/panels like THD, etc. Seems like they are using standard Windows font sizes which would not changeable inside the app. I am sure they look OK when viewed originally but once compressed to the width we have in the forum, they become eye charts.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe someone can answer the question of a lazy person here. Either @SIY or @BE718 . In my case I'd like to measure one recording interface with another. It's obvious how I could do loopbacks, but will this software let me connect both interfaces and use one as an ADC, and one as DAC? Windows to my knowledge usually doesn't work that way with sound devices.

I see how I could have the DUT on another computer, and feed output of the DAC on the Virtins machine to the DUT, and then send the output of DUT back to the input of the Virtins machine. That however would involve an extra trip thru an unnecessary DAC and ADC beyond the DAC under test. Or am I missing something?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe someone can answer the question of a lazy person here. Either @SIY or @BE718 . In my case I'd like to measure one recording interface with another. It's obvious how I could do loopbacks, but will this software let me connect both interfaces and use one as an ADC, and one as DAC? Windows to my knowledge usually doesn't work that way with sound devices.

I see how I could have the DUT on another computer, and feed output of the DAC on the Virtins machine to the DUT, and then send the output of DUT back to the input of the Virtins machine. That however would involve an extra trip thru an unnecessary DAC and ADC beyond the DAC under test. Or am I missing something?
That would be a showstopper if it doesn't work the way you ask.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Maybe someone can answer the question of a lazy person here. Either @SIY or @BE718 . In my case I'd like to measure one recording interface with another. It's obvious how I could do loopbacks, but will this software let me connect both interfaces and use one as an ADC, and one as DAC?

Yes. Go to Settings, and the dropdown allows you to separately choose ADC and DAC.

MI menu.png

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I meant the fonts in the meters/panels like THD, etc. Seems like they are using standard Windows font sizes which would not changeable inside the app. I am sure they look OK when viewed originally but once compressed to the width we have in the forum, they become eye charts.
I have the same complaint. I will investigate a way round it

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Well, it can be done but Microsoft have removed the advanced text options so the title bar font can only be adjusted by a 3rd party application. Obviously this affects all windows

Is this better? It can be made larger

1532920354853.png

Top Bottom