• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Marketing Reigns Supreme

mansr

Major Contributor
Apple certainly built world class audio development and testing facilities, and I agree their audio products (and audio systems in their computer products) have very good sonics for products of their type. As do the non-audio sonic characteristics of their computer cooling systems and the like.
Have you forgotten the G4 wind tunnel?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do at times take a dim view of marketing in general but have also to concede it is a necessary evil.. or one could remove the "evil", and call it "necessary".
I disagree 100%. Without marketing there is no market, no products to buy.

However, I agree that sometimes false marketing or misleading marketing should be called evil, depending on how you define it, and whitewash marketing is bad form.

If you don't say anything about your product's performance you are whitewashing what your product can achieve. If you are saying things that have no engineering sense but your product is engineered, you are not at best have no idea what you are talking about or whitewashing. If you are giving false data you are a liar. I don't want to be associated with either a liar or a marketer who whitewashes their products' data.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I disagree 100%. Without marketing there is no market, no products to buy.

However, I agree that sometimes false marketing or misleading marketing should be called evil, depending on how you define it, and whitewash marketing is bad form.

If you don't say anything about your product's performance you are whitewashing what your product can achieve. If you are saying things that have no engineering sense but your product is engineered, you are not at best have no idea what you are talking about or whitewashing. If you are giving false data you are a liar. I don't want to be associated with either a liar or a marketer who whitewashes their products' data.
@sarumbear

I actually think we are in agreement.. 100% :D
re-quoting myself here:
I do at times take a dim view of marketing in general but have also to concede it is a necessary evil.. or one could remove the "evil", and call it "necessary".

Peace.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to say Schitt audio is very clever. The name itself is the best marketing.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Unfortunately until the electronic industry is regulated like the pharmaceutical industry you will always see lies, exaggeration and false advertising!

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately until the electronic industry is regulated like the pharmaceutical industry you will always see lies, exaggeration and false advertising!
Funny thing is the FTC actually has rules for power amps. So they know it a problem but how much can they regulate? Hopefully we can self regulate with the help of evidence based audio.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning

DHT 845

I wish I had discovered the world of high-sensitivity speakers and low-powered amplifiers a lot sooner. I wish I had learned that price and performance are not necessarily correlated before spending considerable money on all the high-end gear I’ve had over the years.
I heard such stories so many times.
High sensitivity speakers change perspective :)
Even tube amps can be end game.
BTW I just bought R2R NOS tube DAC that probably measure like shit :)

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dynamics matter. Haha.

Waxx

Major Contributor
It is, i gave a small garden party last summer (about 25ppl) on a 98dB sensitive system powered by 2x15w (2x Pass ACA's in bridged mono config) and it was loud, loud enough to annoy the neighbours, get dancing going on and it was still good sounding. I put them against the wall of my house.

In my house, where i use the same config i measured about 50mW ageraged from 15min listening to heavy dub (bass heavy music) for my "active listening" level (probally arround 80-85dB).

I would love to try such thing with a much more cleaner low distortion amp also, but it's like that low power class D amps always suck and have a (relative) lot of disharminc distortion. Even my SMSL SA36 still sucks a bit on that (altough it's one of the better ones). The good ones are all high powered, to high to use with such a sensitive driver and drive it with a normal input (so the noise level of the system before is not to high). I would like to have the quality of an Ncore or Purifi amp but at 10-20W output, not 400W.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is, i gave a small garden party last summer (about 25ppl) on a 98dB sensitive system powered by 2x15w (2x Pass ACA's in bridged mono config) and it was loud, loud enough to annoy the neighbours, get dancing going on and it was still good sounding. I put them against the wall of my house.

In my house, where i use the same config i measured about 50mW ageraged from 15min listening to heavy dub (bass heavy music) for my "active listening" level (probally arround 80-85dB).

I would love to try such thing with a much more cleaner low distortion amp also, but it's like that low power class D amps always suck and have a (relative) lot of disharminc distortion. Even my SMSL SA36 still sucks a bit on that (altough it's one of the better ones). The good ones are all high powered, to high to use with such a sensitive driver and drive it with a normal input (so the noise level of the system before is not to high). I would like to have the quality of an Ncore or Purifi amp but at 10-20W output, not 400W.
Maybe use a huge resistor in the path of the 400w amp?

What’s sort of funny about that is I had a pair of JBL control 1. They had “protection”. So you could see through the front port that the protection was literally a light bulb. Seriously it would glow when the power was high.

Top Bottom