• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AUDIO INTERFACES, CROSSOVER, EQ, Active System ... DRC .... ;)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I am interested to learn how DSP can help me get the best out of an Audio system . This site has convinced me that one doesn't need to spend an arm and a leg t get decent to great performance.

I have an HT centered around a traditional (appliance) Pre/Pro and 5 JBL LSR 308. Bass duty will be handled by 4 Bucket Subs (yes people!! Made from 5-gallons plastic buckets) driven by a Behringer 4-channel amp and that is where I need you :)
There will soon be a 2-ch audiophile system :p and it will have also 3 to 4 subs .. not the bucket subs, perhaps better
For now I want only to do crossover with a Lynx AES-16 ... controlled by Acourate or Audiolense or dePhonica or other Crossover plug-in, app, etc? What do I need? What do I need to know?

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
@FrantzM Cool! Acourate or Audiolense would do the job... One benefit of using Audiolense for digital XO is that it will automatically time align your subs to mains. If you are using JRiver, the convolution engine will host the Acourate or Audiolense generated XO's. You can also use JRiver for XO's and also rePhase: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,87538.0.html My money would be on Audiolense as the least amount of effort to get up and running with the added ability for loudspeaker and room correction.

OP
F

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@FrantzM Cool! Acourate or Audiolense would do the job... One benefit of using Audiolense for digital XO is that it will automatically time align your subs to mains. If you are using JRiver, the convolution engine will host the Acourate or Audiolense generated XO's. You can also use JRiver for XO's and also rePhase: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,87538.0.html My money would be on Audiolense as the least amount of effort to get up and running with the added ability for loudspeaker and room correction.
Here is my current situation.

I have ordered the Linkwitz Mini kit from Madisound. The kit can include the miniDSp 1 x 4 or the 4 x 10. I have in mind to create a hybrid of sort: LX Mini helped by Geddes-style subwoofers. The plan is to attenuate the bass going to the LX Mini at a crossover of 80 Hz and getting the bass from a quartet of bucket subs ... I plan to acquire a FocusRite 18i20 ... with 20 channels I can do all kind of things. My main issue is how to replicate the LX Mini "crossover"-EQ. How do I perforrm that?
Not married to any particular DRC/EQ/Crossover software... Your recommendation and DallaJustice's use pushes me toward Audiolense though. Which version woudl you recommend?
TIA

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. If using computer based audio, then a software player like JRiver can host the digital XO's, eq, etc. You only need 8 channels of DAC output to plug into whatever amps you are going to use to drive the LW Mini's and subs... In Audiolense or Acourate you can set the XO point to the the same as the Mini and draw in the target frequency response to match the acoustical response of a finished Mini, if you want a similar sonic signature...

Top Bottom