• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Interface software comparison: MOTU Ultralite Mk5 vs RME Fireface UC

Hey there! I'm not sure how many producers frequent this forum, but on the off chance someone has familiarity with both RME products and (newer) MOTU products, I wanted to ask for a bit of comparison. I am confident at this point that MOTU interfaces all have great hardware specs, and at less than half the price of the equivalent RME product, the new Ultralite Mk5 really does seem like a steal. HOWEVER, my one experience with MOTU software & drivers in particular led to a resale within a week. This was from an older family of products though, and they have completely new software now.

While I don't have experience with RME software & drivers, by all counts it's pretty good, so I'm going to perhaps unwisely take that as a given, so. The short version of my question would be: Does anyone have experience with MOTU's CueMix 5? Does it suck?

I need the software to be responsive and robust as I do an *uncommon* amount of device switching, and generally *weird* stuff that makes a lot of audio interfaces lose their shit (like switch between 3 different operating systems on one machine). I am currently using a Steinberg UR44, and while it has really irritating shortcomings (terrible headphone amp, less I/O than immediately apparent), the drivers are extremely fast to startup and reconnect if dropped, and it's generally pretty smooth to use.

Nonetheless, I'm looking for an upgrade, and I've narrowed it down to these two products.

MOTU UltraLite-mk5: https://motu.com/en-us/products/gen5/ultralite-mk5/
RME UC: https://www.rme-audio.de/fireface-uc.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom