• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Interface: Separate Preamp and Recording Device or w/ Integrated Preamp

SSA

I am after recommendations for an audio interface to record vinyl. I have looked at reviews on here and other forums but still unsure what would be the best set up for a modest budget.

Initially I was considering a seperate preamp and recording device such as the Art DJPRE II Phono and Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. But now also considering an interface with integrated preamp such as the Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB.

The Art and 2i2 or equivalent would be cheaper then the Clarett even brand new but I could probably pick up a second hand Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB for a little more cash.

- Which set up would provide better recordings or would it be negligable?
- What other options should I consider?

This is purely for recording and will not make use of the device for anything else as have other equipment for headphone and speaker playback.

Thanks!

MCH

Major Contributor
The cheapest of the cheapest would be a Behringer ufo202 (10-20 eur new and ca. 5 used) and next i believe a used sound blaster xfi HD (ca. 20-30 euros). Both can take line in and phono in (no need for additional phono stage). In my modest opinion, without measurements to back it, the sound blaster via line in gives very decent results. Even the Behringer can be good enough, depending on what your expectations are.

jp4573

The Sound Blaster X-FI HD (SB1240) is notably better than the Behringer UFO202.

jae

Major Contributor
Cosmos ADC (+APU?) or RME ADI-2/4 PRO SE. Would get MOTU M2/M4 over a focusrite if that's the option you go.

morillon

Major Contributor
if things are quite obvious with the new rme (thank you rja) ... I do not understand the input impedance of the cosmos .. for this use it is important ...
the riaa dsp correction is not everything ...

but the complete solution must be in what price range????

morillon

Major Contributor
The ART is cheaper than APU (and you'd need two APUs) and the RIAA correction is included.
yes at an affordable price.. art is a fairly obvious solution.. and "made for" (with some functions dedicated to vinyl)
or nad pp4, project etc
;-)

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not understand the input impedance of the cosmos .. for this use it is important ...
the riaa dsp correction is not everything ...
The phono would see the Art's input impedance, which is meant for that purpose..

The Art would see the APC, but it has a pretty hefty output, so that should not be a big problem (even if we don't have any info about the Art's output impedance).
I think it's best to push the Art gain as high as the ADC will allow without saturation.

RIAA correction would be done by the Art as well.

Last edited:

morillon

Major Contributor
The phono would see the Art's input impedance, which is meant for that purpose..

The Art would see the APC, but it has a pretty hefty output, so that should not be a big problem (even if we don't have any info about the Art's output impedance).

RIAA correction would be done by the Art as well.
but what is the input impedance of the cosmos? (which will allow it to be used in phono stage.. mm or mc)
art made for like le petit nad or project for example

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
but what is the input impedance of the cosmos? (which will allow it to be used in phono stage.. mm or mc)
In the solution I propose, the Art is the phono stage. The ADC is just used... as an ADC.
What it does best.

And you may push the sensitivity range higher if you push the Art gain, which will also increase the ADC's input impedance and make it an easier load for the Art.

morillon

Major Contributor
these little machines are very suitable and the art is particularly complete and affordable.. doing more than a phono + adc by the way.. but their limit in the end is more the fact of being often at the max at 48k16bits

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
these little machines are very suitable and the art is particularly complete and affordable.. doing more than a phono + adc by the way.. but their limit in the end is more the fact of being often at the max at 48k16bits
I don't know which machine you speak about.
The Art DJPRE II is a purely analog phono preamp.

I read in its specs that the maximum output level is 1.4V. That's a bit low.
They also say that the output impedance is low.
(But we don't know the figure)

morillon

Major Contributor
etc
I thought you were talking about this very classic phono usb d art
sorry

Last edited:
Reactions: MCH

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
An audio interface is not generally the most cost-effective way to do vinyl recording... the latter is firmly consumer audio. A 15-year-old Creative soundcard may be more than adequate, to the point where I'd concentrate my efforts on the hardware preceding it. Even an onboard line-in of the better kind may prove adequately serviceable.

OP, please state what you currently have in terms of turntable (cartridge), phonopre and computer.

OP
S

SSA

An audio interface is not generally the most cost-effective way to do vinyl recording... the latter is firmly consumer audio. A 15-year-old Creative soundcard may be more than adequate, to the point where I'd concentrate my efforts on the hardware preceding it. Even an onboard line-in of the better kind may prove adequately serviceable.

OP, please state what you currently have in terms of turntable (cartridge), phonopre and computer.
I have a Rega Planar 3, RB300 tonearm and Nagaoka MP11 cartridge (cartridge will be replaced), nothing too expensive. This is a recent purchase so it's not set up as yet. I don't have a phonopre or recording device as yet hence the discussion on this thread. Computer wise I have various options in the house: a relatively fast desktop, gaming laptop and work laptop. Thanks

morillon

Major Contributor
the modest solutions integrated at art nad project etc are both autonomous normal prephono (see somes mm and mc ..) and possibly capture adc
;-)

OP
S

SSA

I think I am quite happy with the Art DJPRE II as the phonopre. it measures well and is cheap. It's connection from the phonopre to the computer/recording software which I am a bit unsure of.

I have ripped vinyl with older equipment which was sold off a few years ago, and I was quite happy with the results. I had a Rega Planar 3, Musical Fidelity V90-LPS and an old M-Audio Quattro.

Top Bottom