• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio interface (recording) suggestion

Reinhold

my 404hd send a popping noise to my headphones when turning it on.
Has the scarlett and clarett the same effect?

Andy91

I can say with certainty that the best audio interface for recording is focusright. It is somewhat more expensive than those listed by you, but it's worth it. The audio interface produces clear sound, super low latency. There have never been any problems with the drivers. It works just fine on Windows 10. Focusrite has better preamps. For persuasion, you can read this article.

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I do not know pricing where you are but the Focusrite Clarett line is very good. A step up from the Scarlett line. Several people I have talked to said they upgraded and were very pleased after direct comparison.
Think you would need to go up in price range to better. Someone here uses a Forte, no longer around. But it should be close to the Clarett models. They have the same converters.
It would be nice to see Amir Test one. They claim the published specs are actual performance numbers from a sample unit and not just specs from the converter chips.
I offered up one of my Clarett 4Pre units for testing. But it is Thunderbolt and the up to date software is Mac only. They also make a Windows line of units, Clarett USB.

I have the Clarett 4Pre USB, just watch outputs 3-4, they don't have a soft start relay, and will pop on anything connected to them. You'll even see it on the meters. However, outputs 1-2 do have such relays.

Moreover, the headphone output is subpar IMO, with an output impedance of 7 ohms I believe. So, the common studio cans like m50x or other 32 Ohms units may not play well with that.

The unit is not the last thing in gain, nor flexible input sensitivity, but it gets the job done. Motu is probably on par with them, though RME would probably be a huge step up, though also in outlay...

Edit: You might be better suited with this post being in https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?forums/audio-interfaces-adc.52/

chebum

Forum Donor
I do not know pricing where you are but the Focusrite Clarett line is very good.

Double that. I have Clarett 2Pre. Bought it two months ago for about 280 euro in German online store. The recording is very clean to me, without any voicing. I have disable "Air" function though.
I'm using it with Neumann 183 mics to record how loudspeakers sound in my room. Here are a couple of recordings:
On YouTube:
Or on my webpage:
https://www.listentospeakers.com

telecode101

I can say with certainty that the best audio interface for recording is focusright. It is somewhat more expensive than those listed by you, but it's worth it. The audio interface produces clear sound, super low latency. There have never been any problems with the drivers. It works just fine on Windows 10. Focusrite has better preamps. For persuasion, you can read this article.

Hi, sorry to ressurect an old thread. But just wondering, what is a good way to test whether the pre-amps and DAC converters in Focusrite are better than an older interface? The link you posted seems to refer to a person comparing interfaces while recording real drums. Does that mean you would only get benefit of pre-amps and DAC converters if you are recording acoustic instruments? What if you are mostly using virtual instruments and software and no live mics and acoustic instruments? What benefits do those pre-amps and DAC make in that case?

Sombreuil

If you only use VSTs, digital synthesizers, etc, a pre-amp would not be useful. The audio interface would be interesting to assist your CPU (reduce the latency, 48k hz), the possibility to plug a pair of headphones into it with a volume control knob, a direct monitor knob, etc, but that's pretty much it.

telecode101

If you only use VSTs, digital synthesizers, etc, a pre-amp would not be useful. The audio interface would be interesting to assist your CPU (reduce the latency, 48k hz), the possibility to plug a pair of headphones into it with a volume control knob, a direct monitor knob, etc, but that's pretty much it.

Thanks. I have a Clarett 2 pre and also my old NI Komplete 6. I am debating to return the Clarett as I can't tell if those supposed better high end pre-amps are doing anything of value that I paid for. Also, the headphone monitor output seems much quieter than my old K6. On the K6 at 50% is loud. On the Clarett I have to crank it up to 75 or 80 to get same loudness.

I guess I should try recording some acoustic guitar it sounds like it compare.

Top Bottom