• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Interface for REW and Laptop

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm hoping to use REW to test my stereo and other non-HDMI audio systems.

It doesn't appear I can do this with just a UMIK1 and a laptop as I did with my Home Theater AVR using the HDMI connection. Since my stereo gear is either rca or balanced inputs, I believe (I could be wrong) I need some type of audio interface.

Recommendations under $300 would be appreciated. I'm not in need of professional quality as I'm most interested in doing RT60 measurements.

GDK

Forum Donor
Can you not connect your laptop to your DAC via USB? That's how I have normally done it.

OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
Can you not connect your laptop to your DAC via USB? That's how I have normally done it.
I have an RME ADI2 DAC. It has a USB input.

Should I use standard USB cable or get a USB-C to USB cable (my laptop has both USB-C and regular USB).

GDK

Forum Donor
I have an RME ADI2 DAC. It has a USB input.

Should I use standard USB cable or get a USB-C to USB cable (my laptop has both USB-C and regular USB).
So that is exactly the same as my setup. Yes, just use a USB-C to USB-B cable to connect your laptop to the RME and REW should work fine. No need for another interface.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My measurement microphone has a standard microphone balanced analog input, and I needed an interface with a mic preamp and phantom power to run it. I use a cheap Presonus Studio 24C. One advantage of REW is that you can do a loop back test of the interface and make a calibration file for it. Mine was within a fraction of a dB across the spectrum.

Cal-mic-0321.JPEG

Rick “whose Benchmark ADC had insufficient gain for microphone levels and no phantom power” Denney

OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
So that is exactly the same as my setup. Yes, just use a USB-C to USB-B cable to connect your laptop to the RME and REW should work fine. No need for another interface.
I know it doesn't seem like much, but that is so awesome. It took me forever to hook up REW with my AVR, I just assumed it would be just as big of a hassle for something else. But I just plugged the RME into my laptop, set it as the default output, and everything worked perfectly. Just took a quick measurement.

Thanks a lot!

Top Bottom