• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Interface For Digital Measurements - Looking For Recommendations

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
Hi ASR peeps - I have been using the MOTU M4 for some time now for analog measurements, some time ago I posted loopback measurements here when it was first released.

At the time I was unsure if I would ever need digital I/O, figured it would be a future problem. Well now it is a present-day problem as I am taking my first foray into digital audio design, a simple NOS PCM56P-K DAC.

I am hoping someone can point me to the current best value audio interface for digital measurements - ideally both USB and coaxial SPDIF outputs.

Thanks!
LG

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I kinda wanted to add digital inputs to compliment what I have with Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I was looking at the 8i6, which has coax in, and the RME Fireface UCX ii. I didn't find measurements of the RME, and the 8i6 doesn't have everything I want, so I have not decided yet.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
This used to be the domain of cheap and cheerful CMedia-based cards, but oh well. Will 48 kHz do? --> ESI U24 XL. If you want 96 kHz, expect double the price for a Behringer UMC1820 (which, mind you, also has tons of analog I/O and will do Toslink / optical ADAT + S/MUX as well). If you need optical + coax I/O at 192 kHz, chances are you end up with a MOTU Ultralite Mk5 or something, way more expensive.

If you really just need USB -> coax SPDIF, that should be way cheaper though.

I guess the idea behind a PCM56 NOS DAC in this day and age would be enabling 352.8 / 384 kHz input for use with software upsampling? And you're going to use one chip per channel and provide MSB adjustment, right?

OP
L0rdGwyn

L0rdGwyn

Forum Donor
Thanks for your input Steph. 96kHz would be preferable, probably the MOTU or a similar product would fit the bill, maybe I can find one on the used market, but I'll look into the Behringer as well. This is a DIY project, I am not an engineer, so a simple NOS DAC is a digestible first stab at digital design for me.

Last edited:

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It might seem like an odd suggestion but the Late 2012 and Late 2014 Mac minis have toslink inputs/ouputs and are reasonably priced. The Late 2014 will run the latest version of MacOS (Big Sur), I use one as my "audio testing computer" and it works great.

Michael

Top Bottom