• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Interface choice

esci

Hi everyone!

I want to renew/replace my current audio interface (Focusrite 18i20 gen1) and stumbled upon this forum looking for reviews of devices that come into question, now seeking for advice :)

Usecase is recording me (couple of synths) and my friend (guitar/mic) in a rehearsel room.
I extended the Focusrite with a Behringer ADA8200 for more inputs, as I run out of inputs on the Focusrite. I need a lot of inputs in general (synths in stereo and drum-computer multi-channel). Rack-mount would be preferred.

Though we are mostly using dedicated preamps for guitar and voice, I also want satisfying preamps on the interface (the dedicated preamps are sometimes in use in studio though not available or if friends join a session). I don't need more than 2 preamps though.

Regarding quality I guess it's important to mention that we are no professionals. So I don't want to take a sledgehammer to crack a nut - still we mind recoridng quality and it's an investment for several years, so I don't want to save at the wrong end and preferr reliable products (stable drivers, long term support,...). Currently running Windows 10, probably moving to Apple sometimes.

So I basically thought about Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen3 vs Motu Ultralite MK5.

Is one of these the definite better pick or are there other devices worth looking into?

Thank you!!

PS: After posting this I saw that the Focusrite Clarett+ 8Pre might also be an option.

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
Hi everyone!

I want to renew/replace my current audio interface (Focusrite 18i20 gen1) and stumbled upon this forum looking for reviews of devices that come into question, now seeking for advice :)

Usecase is recording me (couple of synths) and my friend (guitar/mic) in a rehearsel room.
I extended the Focusrite with a Behringer ADA8200 for more inputs, as I run out of inputs on the Focusrite. I need a lot of inputs in general (synths in stereo and drum-computer multi-channel). Rack-mount would be preferred.

Though we are mostly using dedicated preamps for guitar and voice, I also want satisfying preamps on the interface (the dedicated preamps are sometimes in use in studio though not available or if friends join a session). I don't need more than 2 preamps though.

Regarding quality I guess it's important to mention that we are no professionals. So I don't want to take a sledgehammer to crack a nut - still we mind recoridng quality and it's an investment for several years, so I don't want to save at the wrong end and preferr reliable products (stable drivers, long term support,...). Currently running Windows 10, probably moving to Apple sometimes.

So I basically thought about Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen3 vs Motu Ultralite MK5.

Is one of these the definite better pick or are there other devices worth looking into?

Thank you!!

PS: After posting this I saw that the Focusrite Clarett+ 8Pre might also be an option.

You don't say what your budget is, but there are audio interfaces from RME that have proven very long support and seen as having very good drivers.

The RME Fireface UCX II is an excellent audio interface that is compact but also is rack mountable by adding a couple of ears to it.

There is a review of UCX II with measurements here on ASR, and further into the thread even comparisons (measurements) against other audio interfaces he has. I own the UCX II myself and are very happy with it for my simple uses.

Top Bottom