• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Grade Capacitors?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My expectation was for zero change.
That's your conscious mind thought, unconsciously you may get a completely different result than expected.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I agree, but my reply was intended to refute that positive expectation bias is always the case. My expectation was for zero change. Instead I not only heard a change, but I liked the change. My expectation, remember, was that it would sound the same. The outcome, probably imagined, was the opposite of my expectations.

btw. I don't really need to do a blind test. I would be completely convinced if measurements showed nothing had changed.

Your conscious expectation bias may be zero, but your subconscious isn't. That's why it has to be done blind.

0bs3rv3r

Your conscious expectation bias may be zero, but your subconscious isn't. That's why it has to be done blind.

Right, but again, that was not the point. I replied to the statement

"If you spend the $ and do all the work to get that amp percolating like new, your expectation bias and (near) human brain is going to make you hear a huge improvement in the sound no matter the reality. ;) Win Win Win."

my point being that just because you spent the $ and WANT it to sound better, does mean it will, just as what I heard was not the ZERO change I wanted to hear.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I agree, but my reply was intended to refute that positive expectation bias is always the case. My expectation was for zero change. Instead I not only heard a change, but I liked the change. My expectation, remember, was that it would sound the same. The outcome, probably imagined, was the opposite of my expectations.

btw. I don't really need to do a blind test. I would be completely convinced if measurements showed nothing had changed.

Not 100% sure I understand what you're saying here. Do you believe that the change you heard was psychological, or the result of material differences in the output signal (or something else)?

0bs3rv3r

Not 100% sure I understand what you're saying here. Do you believe that the change you heard was psychological, or the result of material differences in the output signal (or something else)?

I don't know if it was real or not. The point was it was different to my expectations

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
This year has been different than my expectations...

And it ain't over yet.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if it was real or not. The point was it was different to my expectations

Ok, that makes sense.

I think what others were trying to point out was that expectation bias is one, but certainly not the only, potential source of psychological influence on your perception here.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That Linus dude in the video is known for vast amounts of BS.
Don't worry.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Right, but again, that was not the point. I replied to the statement

"If you spend the $ and do all the work to get that amp percolating like new, your expectation bias and (near) human brain is going to make you hear a huge improvement in the sound no matter the reality. ;) Win Win Win."

my point being that just because you spent the $ and WANT it to sound better, does mean it will, just as what I heard was not the ZERO change I wanted to hear.

I agree with what you're saying here, but you're not really addressing the subconscious bias, and that was more the point of my post.

You say you "wanted" to hear ZERO change. My point is that you have no idea what your subconscious "wanted". If you did, then it wouldn't be subconscious ;).

Scastaneda

I didn't get to far on that reading list. The first page of the 'Humble' test was plenty. I love that his rating system goes from 0 to 20, in 1/4 point increments. At least he admits it's a subjective test, but it's not real 'humble' to have 80-point subjective rating system for devices for which an exceptional published tolerance is 5%. That makes his ears nearly as accurate as the manufacturers' quality assurance processes. Of course, his highest rating so far is around 15, meaning he has yet to hear a capacitor that even earns a C+ grade. I imagine listening to music must be very painful to such discerning ears.

Top Bottom