• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio generator

OP
syn08

syn08

Ok, it’s me :). For an unknown reason, my XMOS USB bridge doesn’t support 384k, even if compiled accordingly.

Since I have a JlSounds board, I loaded that XMOS driver, and it supports 384k on all computers, except the MacBook Pro.

I‘m in the dark, but at least I know where to look. BTW @phofman, Apple devices don’t support procfs and using sysctl instead is not something I am willing to spend time investigating.

OP
syn08

syn08

Aaaand... (drums are rolling)...

1649899978745.png

It was actually quite simple to fix :). I'll try 768KHz too, just for the heck of it (unfortunately requires some extra code diving), I think it may work too...

BTW, actually REW is the only host software that populates the rate drop down on the fly, based on the device capabilities. ARTA, TTG, Virtins 3.2 others that I was able to test are hardcoded to an 192KHz or 200KHz limit. Thank you guys for the REW suggestion, exactly what I need!

Last edited:

AudiOhm

So it does depend on the ASIO Device...

Ohms

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
BTW @phofman, Apple devices don’t support procfs and using sysctl instead is not something I am willing to spend time investigating.
I was talking about diagnostic output of linux alsa, not OSX coreaudio.

OP
syn08

syn08

I was talking about diagnostic output of linux alsa, not OSX coreaudio.
You said "Again - linux reports it out of the box in /proc/asound/USB_CARD/stream0 file."

The /proc files do not exist on Macs, since procfs is not used. On other Linux distros, /proc contains (among other things) one subdirectory for each process running on the system

phofman

Hm, I have not seen a linux distro without the /proc fs mounted, standard processes use it permanently (systemd, udisksd, rsyslogd). Also I do not see any reason to do so, it's purely software dependent. Which linux distro do you use on your mac hardware?

OP
syn08

syn08

Latest MacOS. MacOS historically never used procfs, since procfs was not in the original BSD code base. It was developed after SJ made BSD his proprietary OS. BSD and Linux are very similar, but not binary compatible.

phofman

MacOS is not linux and does not have the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (alsa). Logically it cannot have the diagnostics provided by alsa kernel drivers to userspace, conveniently placed into the kernel-userspace interface /proc (nowadays the devs would use the newer sysfs facility in /sys but alsa originated back in 1998). No reason to discuss procfs on MacOS in this regard.

You mentioned ubuntu in one of your posts, even running it from a USB stick booted on any x86 would have provided the detailed information about your USB audio device.

OP
syn08

syn08

MacOS is not linux and does not have the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (alsa).
Technically not, although one can use almost all linux knowledge to manage a MacOS box, from a system perspective.
Logically it cannot have the diagnostics provided by alsa kernel drivers to userspace, conveniently placed into the kernel-userspace interface /proc (nowadays the devs would use the newer sysfs facility in /sys but alsa originated back in 1998). No reason to discuss procfs on MacOS in this regard.
procfs and alsa are not linux core component; one cannot define a system as "linux" based on the presence of these components. There are alternatives and, as an example, sys/sysctl can be used as a procfs alternative (which is what MacOS does).

But we are already way off topic...

phofman

I think you are confusing the word Linux with Unix. Both MacOS and Linux are unix-based.

Nevertheless my point is obvious - I talked about using alsa, the audio subsystem of linux, to troubleshoot your USB device. Not about using any other unix-based OS like MacOS.

Top Bottom