• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Audio-gd Master 7 Singularity Review (DAC)

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
Tricking someone using technical terms is fraud.
Not in US law it isn't. Tricking someone is trickery. To engage in fraud you need to use trickery to obtain something of value with a false assurance that goes beyond a mere claim.

The terms used in audio are COMMONLY used terms that amount to an assertion that a company serves "the best" of something. It is to be blunt HYPERBOLE.

We have a very young readership here that thinks in very literal black and white terms.

Look around and think about how many court cases there would be if the law enforced as criminal or civil the claim of 'fraud' as you suggest. How does the court prevent fraudulent fraud claims, if every court decision based on literal exactitude.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not in US law it isn't. Tricking someone is trickery. To engage in fraud you need to use trickery to obtain something of value with a false assurance that goes beyond a mere claim.

The terms used in audio are COMMONLY used terms that amount to an assertion that a company serves "the best" of something. It is to be blunt HYPERBOLE.

We have a very young readership here that thinks in very literal black and white terms.

Look around and think about how many court cases there would be if the law enforced as criminal or civil the claim of 'fraud' as you suggest. How does the court prevent fraudulent fraud claims, if every court decision based on literal exactitude.
I have news for you: there is a world outside the US.

Lupin

I'm not from the US but I still agree with this.

rmsanger

The general consensus with hifi crowd is that Audio-GD tends to be lackluster in technical performance. There is an inner circle of fanboys just as there is for Wells Audio and Yulong but the wider community will look down upon AGD gear.

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A complete and utter de(con)struction by Amir, as expected.

What a waste of components.

Meanwhile I wanted to find out more about that
“First Prize Winner” of the National Semiconductor (USA) Audio Design Contest
blurb as found on Audio-GD's front page. All I could find was this: https://rockgrotto.proboards.com/thread/6614
1634839065168.png

Image source: screenshot from link above

So as it turns out, this was a competition held in mainland China, and not in the USA as I understood.
This raises questions, as any connections between National Semiconductor and this "design competition" appear tenuous at best. National Semiconductor appears to have opened a fab in China back in 2004, which was subsequently closed in 2009. [source: Wikipedia article on National Semiconductor] Was the competition hosted by NS? Or was it merely "sponsored" by NS? Regardless, I can't dig up more info than that on the (English) Internet. Perhaps one of our Chinese members would know more? @WolfX-700 do you know anything about this "design contest"?

Bonus information: The gentleman at the left of the picture above appears to be Mr. Gary Adrig.

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
:facepalm: You got to hand it to the Chinese to make some incomprehensible manual :eek:
Oh I've seen worse.
DSC_0355.JPG

This is from the official installation manual of a shipborne radar system manufactured by JRC. :facepalm:
The funny part (to me) is that since I speak some Japanese, I can sort of elucidate how these phrases were originally written, and I just know that JRC used some sort of machine translation...

Top Bottom