• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio GD - bad rap in the past -new breed !!

Dallas2122

Audio GD in the past has been bashed more then a pumpkin on Halloween.
In some respects I can understand that before 2020,2021 there were older technologies, and lower spec parts used. That being said with the New higher R8-MK2 using quality FPGA and other processors used into Ram buffer
Before outputting to the high performance Femto clocks ,and now using servo controlled makes this a much better performer ,running much cooler, as well as servo controlled much lower distortion. Maybe not class leading much very respectful and much more natural in tonal balance . If it was noisy a decent pair of headphones would pick it up , and against quality competition . I own this head phone amp as well as IMO the most versatile very competitive New R8 MK2 dac .in the under $3k category, it is a pain in the ass to runin the 3 R core transformers ,and Dual Femto clocks take a minimum of 500 hours to get 95+% and
Another 500 hours to get that last few % . Several owners in Europe as well as Audio GD said,it is far better then the 2019 R8 it weighs over 25 lbs ,built very well and well laid out.directly compared to ,and has 2 non oversampling settings one being a Vinyl setting-warm ,the other R2R which is very well balanced and 3 Oversampling 2x,4x, and 8x , with the8 x most detailed and neutral , all depending on your Audio systems tonal balance , and your taste having 5 user setting that truly Taylor the sound is a Big+ in my book . At our tri state audio get together . I did hear their flagship R7 HE MK2 with 10 MHz master clock which was around $6k. It was exceptional with its built in power regenerator it weighs in at 48 lbs for both dac and clock .I would buy it if I could afford it ,sadly I cannot ,that being said the new R8
Was is on par if not better then the well reviewed 2020 R7 dac. If in North America Underwood Wally
Is the sole distributor, and service center . I did compare my Denafrips Pontus 2 to it ,
And I owned the Schiit Yggsdrasil 2 which was very good in some respects but Waay to neutral for my
Taste and no adjustments, the pontus is a very good dac ,it is a bit more laid back but very detailed, not much for tonal adjustment settings though but very natural I have this in my upstairs system , the AudioGD much more controlled and dynamic .I have yet to hear anything
Under $3k that can better it in soundstaging and depth of image . I am impressed and have currently 450 hours on it .this is what myself and several listeners agreed on .it all comes down to your personal taste
And system synergies in the end. Having 5 user settings for balance is a big plus IMO.
The headphone setup I use only at night it’s as good as the review claims which is very good for reasonable money ,I bought this used from one of the Audiophile members who bought a $$ unit.
https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2020/05/unexpected-winner-audio-gd-master-19.html

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you don't want a neutral sound (too neutral :facepalm:) the DAC is a stupid place to look for added colour.
Take a neutral DAC, that is 99% + of them and use a plug in to simulate your taste of non-Hifidelityness, much cheaper and you can change the plug in for different effects.
Buying a ludicrously expensive DAC with a pointless accessory like an add on clock just to avoid neutrality makes no sense whatsoever.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
in the under $3k category, it is a pain in the ass to runin the 3 R core transformers ,and Dual Femto clocks take a minimum of 500 hours to get 95+% and
Another 500 hours to get that last few %
ezgif-2-73162c9083a8.gif

"Uh-huh"

Last edited:

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio-GD units measure very bad.. partially by choice partially by incompetence.

It is super popular on ASR to bash Audio-GD and call them all sorts of names. Everyone and his dog jumps on the band wagon and trash talk Audio-GD at every opportunity. I get it, their website is weird and they make all kinds of audiophile snake oil claims that makes no sense.

You see the measurements and the numbers which are a lot lower then other devices so the popular interpretation is that there must be a night and day difference between the two devices which is simply not true. Amir mentioned in one of his reviews that the difference was subtle at worst and most likely inaudible for most.

That's why I think it's very interesting and entertaining to do a volume matched double blind test between an Audio-GD and a Topping D90SE. I'm certain that the vast majority of the ASR community would not be able to reliably pick out which one is which.

And no I'm not saying that Audio-GD is good or that everyone should buy one.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I'm saving this gif. Its the best haha.

As for OP, his post is such a random collection of words with no structure that I can barely figure out what point he (or she) is trying to make.

Last edited:

THW

Forum Donor
uh huh.

now excuse me while i go look for the MOTU M2/M4...

brandall10

Audio-GD and a Topping D90SE.

How about an Audio-GD and an Apple dongle? Seriously, the latter objectively performs better.

If you got a point to make it's best to make it loud and proud. 15 years ago I had one of their combo DAC/amp units. It was fine. My ears didn't melt. Doesn't really mean anything.

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
In some respects I can understand that before 2020,2021 there were older technologies, and lower spec parts used.
The main issue were never their specs, but more that they completely missed them and had massive quality control and design issues making the units unsafe to use.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
I saw the title of this thread and thought... oh nevermind. Carry on.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Thread notice:

Please refrain from posting Political content. Absolutely no Political comments will be permitted.
Some posts have been removed, including posts that quoted the political content.

Lupin

I am happy to give them another look. Someone offered one recently but I forget if he is following through.
I would like to see some measurements of the more recent models like the NFB-11.38 which seems to be quite popular.

Although I'm 99% sure it will just as bad as the older models.
It's a shame, all the ingredients are there, they are just put together all wrong. Imagine what could be with all those components and an actual competent design...

Top Bottom