• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio from PC - budget $500, very newbie

georgist

Hi, I've got a PC, it's got a stock sound card and USB ports. It runs linux, if that matters.

Today my active creative T40 speakers began playing up, crackling. I tried switching the power supply, same problem. Headphones in the same jack work fine, so it's not the source.

I'm a bit underwhelmed by them anyway and wanted to get some new kit.

I am open to any and all suggestions. My first basic confusion is whether to get active or passive speakers. Next is, depending on what I choose, should I get a DAC or just plug into the sound card 3.5mm jack, or put an amp between them?

sound card ====> amp ====> speakers (active/passive?)

or

USB ====> DAC ===> maybe amp ===> speakers (active or passive)

It would be a bonus to have something to plug my headphones into and have them take over from the speakers.

My desk is not deep, about 3x6 foot, speakers would go at each far corner.

I'm happy to be told my preconceptions are wrong, or if you think spending a bit more would give way better results, I'm open to this. Sorry if the above is totally naive, here to learn.

Last edited:

Rip City Dave

I vote for a Xonar SE sound card --- about $40 and pretty good sound.

Then an integrated amp + passive speakers.

I think you will have many more possible choices this way than with active speakers. IMO, this is where the fun is ---- the hunt for good equipment at your price point.

OP
G

georgist

I vote for a Xonar SE sound card --- about $40 and pretty good sound.

Then an integrated amp + passive speakers.

I think you will have many more possible choices this way than with active speakers. IMO, this is where the fun is ---- the hunt for good equipment at your price point.
Thanks. I'm good at researching viable equipment. Your advice on the high level setup is what I'm after.

I appreciate your input, however I would also welcome from others. For example instead of a sound card I believe I can stream to a USB port and have an external DAC do the conversion. Interested on the pros/cons for future flexibility, though it might increase my costs?

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
JBL 306 MKII for $329 shipped from Amazon. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for $170. Or a budget option Behringer UCM22 at $65.
Yea, I would go for the JBL, if willing to spend the cash.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
At $500, the best bang for buck will certainly come from active speakers. Dozens have been tested here and in other places. There is no reason to buy something that doesn't have independent objective measurements. Models from JBL, Adam, Kali, and (gulp) KRK have nice options in your price range.

Go here and filter for Active and see for yourself ...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/SpeakerTestData/

I have the JBL 306mkII and like them alot.

One caveat on active speakers is make sure you buy from a reputable place with a good return policy. A common complaint with actives is idle noise (hissing) from the tweeters. The level varies between models and even with the same model. So you'll want an easy return option if the noise is too much.

Once you get the active speakers sorted, there are many measurably transparent DACs that will fit your budget. IMO, budget computer audio interfaces like the Focusrite Scarlet are the best DAC buys to pair with actives. This is because actives speakers generally have balanced inputs. Consumer DACs typically treat balanced outputs as an upscale feature, but they are common in budget computer audio interfaces. The downside to these audio interface, is that they are a little more complicated because of the extra features built in for recording.

EDIT: Just noted you are using Linux. That does throw a wrench into things (https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en...s-my-Focusrite-Product-compatible-with-Linux-). You'll probably need to do a little more research into any DAC you are considering to understand its relationship with Linux.

Last edited:

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Katji

Major Contributor
Check the more high-end Edifier speakers. ...DAC is integrated in the speakers, all you need to do is connect with USB cable, or Toslink - they all/mostly have Toslink, mostly to support connection from Playstations and so on.
Or KEF LSX maybe, if you like them.

zermak

If you don't have any particular need I would spend all the money on active monitors and use your onboard audio card (that for our real needs is plenty trasparent unless it has a broken design and you can hear hiss or something else; plus it's probably a 7.1 and you can use it as an active crossover and so on, practically for free) and use DSP (see EqualizerAPO and if needed its GUIs) to apply room corrections.

OP
G

georgist

Thanks to all for the advice. It appears the consensus is active speakers, perhaps with a DAC, either integrated or standalone.

If I go down the active route, what am I missing out on, given my price point? Longevity seems to be one thing.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
If I go down the active route, what am I missing out on, given my price point? Longevity seems to be one thing.
Upgradability is another . Changing speakers scraps the amp(s) . Personally, I like to be able to change out each major subsystem independently.

In this case, for $500, I would go with the passive Infinity R152 ($130/pr), the Yamaha RS202bl for $150, and a $100 DAC, probably the $110 Qudelix5k so I pick up ability for PEQ without fighting for it on the PC.

But I have been known as an 'odd duck' my entire life..

Have fun - any way you go!

OP
G

georgist

Check the more high-end Edifier speakers. ...DAC is integrated in the speakers, all you need to do is connect with USB cable, or Toslink - they all/mostly have Toslink, mostly to support connection from Playstations and so on.
Or KEF LSX maybe, if you like them.
LSX scares the hell out of me with integrated wireless. It's like a fridge with a water dispenser - one more thing to break! I have it all one one desk with the PC under the desk, so wired is fine and more robust, as I see it.

What would a Toslink connect from on the PC side? I have a 3.5mm jack output, no optical output (unless I bought a sound card with one?).

Did you have an Edifier model in mind when you say "high end"? I note quite a few have bluetooth, which I wouldn't use, I'd sooner get a more basic (wired) one where the cost goes on the sound rather than the connectivity tech.

OP
G

georgist

Upgradability is another . Changing speakers scraps the amp(s) . Personally, I like to be able to change out each major subsystem independently.

In this case, for $500, I would go with the passive Infinity R152 ($130/pr), the Yamaha RS202bl for $150, and a $100 DAC, probably the $110 Qudelix5k so I pick up ability for PEQ without fighting for it on the PC.

But I have been known as an 'odd duck' my entire life..

Have fun - any way you go!
Thanks. Yes the modular approach is appealing for redundancy and upgradeability.

Yamaha RS202bl is kinda big for a desk and has bluetooth. I'm thinking I'd sooner just go with wired, as everything is in one place. Is there another amp that is a bit more compact (either the DAC could sit on the amp or vice-versa), that you also like ? I'd also never use the bluetooth on the DAC.

Despite (because?) I'm in tech I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to over-complex stuff breaking!

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
I'm thinking I'd sooner just go with wired
I would ignore BT. Just connect DAC to 'CD in' /any Line In input..

Yep. RS202 is 'big'. Put it on floor. Put shelf on wall behind desk. But it's hard to beat for $149..

PS - the Qudelix gives you a great headphone amp alternative to your speakers ..:)

Maybe you mentioned your music source? A streaming service? (Amazon Music? etc.). If so, you might be able to remove dependency entirely on the PC - still within the $500. Simply add a $30 LG Rebel 4 TracFone in front of the Qudelix via USB OTG. Throw away the SIM card - no need to activate. Use in WiFi mode as an Android 8 DAP. No need anymore for PC...

Last edited:
OP
G

georgist

I would ignore BT. Just connect DAC to 'CD in' /any Line In input..

Yep. RS202 is 'big'. Put it on floor. Put shelf on wall behind desk. But it's hard to beat for $149..

PS - the Qudelix gives you a great headphone amp alternative to your speakers ..:)

Maybe you mentioned your music source? A streaming service? (Amazon Music? etc.). If so, you might be able to remove dependency entirely on the PC - still within the $500. Simply add a $30 LG Rebel 4 TracFone in front of the Qudelix via USB OTG. Throw away the SIM card - no need to activate. Use in WiFi mode as an Android 8 DAP. No need anymore for PC...

It's NAS over CAT5 cable. I think these solutions are a bit more "gorilla" than even I'm looking for, and believe me I'm no stranger to hacking stuff together!

This thread has been useful, and it's helped me to realize that I would like something more modular, that I can upgrade / replace later, that sits on my desk without taking up too much space. Something like the Schiit stuff, maybe:

PC USB => DAC => AMP (?) => passive bookshelf speaker ?

I'm adding a constraint I didn't have originally: size, just b/c I didn't expect to get full size "lounge" audio equipment recommendations.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks to all for the advice. It appears the consensus is active speakers, perhaps with a DAC, either integrated or standalone.

At your price point I don't think you are missing out on anything. It's the only way to get the most with your budget and I think you can't get the sound quality with a passive setup that you are going to get with the actives.

I wouldn't sacrifice some 'future' flexibility by going separates route now. You do have upgrade options with he Active route by simply integrating some subwoofers later on.

OP
G

georgist

At your price point I don't think you are missing out on anything. It's the only way to get the most with your budget and I think you can't get the sound quality with a passive setup that you are going to get with the actives.

I wouldn't sacrifice some 'future' flexibility by going separates route now. You do have upgrade options with he Active route by simply integrating some subwoofers later on.
Thanks, appreciate the perspective. What kind of money are we talking for entry level passive from a PC, in your experience?

Chrisr

I recently bought the previously recommended Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and paired it with KRK RP5 G4 (iirc). I am more than happy with the sound for that money. Actually, I would say that combo has more than enough sound quality and oomph for most folks. Even the "feeling" of quality with solid casings, non wobbly knobs etc are surprising to me. So very solid products imo.

That being said if I didn't also want to use the XLR microphone inputs on the Scarlett, I would probably have gone with an external soundcard/gaming DAC with a 3,5mm mic input in order to have easy input for headset. The Schiit fulla for instance, which I believe doesn't measure all that great but has perfect features and form factor for home office and gaming use. However if you don't really use a regular PC headset with TTRS combo jack that's a moot point. (If you don't need mic in I would go with Loxjie D30.)

If you want passive speakers I would consider the Loxjie A30 for an amp. Measures really well at an incredibly low price point. Only problem is that it can currently be quite hard to actually buy one (out of stock). Actually this is what I would have gone for if I hadn't been to impatient to wait for it to be available again.

What speakers to pair with the A30 most people around here are better qualified to answer than me, so I wont even go there.

Top Bottom