• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What solution do you use for video calls when working in your home office?

• Company provided head-set

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Your own head-set

• Integrated notebook microphone and loudspeaker

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Headphone/IEM with a cheap cable microphone

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Headphone with a add-on microphone (boompro, modmic etc.)

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Audio interface with a proper microphone on a stand

• Audio interface with a lavalier microphone

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Other (please specify in the comments)

• Total voters

artburda

I tried to use my audio interface with a Rode NT-1 in a shock mount to the side and it worked quite well, but when I have to take notes during a meeting, it would pick up the mouse clicks and typing on the keyboard way too much. I had to constantly mute and unmute the microphone. I got a bit better results with a Sennheiser ME-66 shotgun microphone. The company provided us with a logitech head-set but the clamping force is crazy and no way to bend the plastic to make it more comfortable.

What are you using and what could be a good compromise of sound quality, noise rejection, comfort and clean desk? I‘ve read mixed reviews about the add-on microphones like boompro and modmic. But using headphones/IEMs I already have, would be nice.

Willem

Major Contributor
I have a quite professional Sennheiser me-3 headset microphone. It is perfect for this job as it excludes just about all extraneous noise. That also prevents the bathroom acoustics effect.
I bought it for myself to use with speech recognition software, but during Covid I gave it to my wife who was teaching a lot online. For teaching, first rate audio is crucial but often neglected.

OP
artburda

artburda

I have a quite professional Sennheiser me-3 headset microphone. It is perfect for this job as it excludes just about all extraneous noise. That also prevents the bathroom acoustics effect.
I bought it for myself to use with speech recognition software, but during Covid I gave it to my wife who was teaching a lot online. For teaching, first rate audio is crucial but often neglected.
Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked it out. So do you use it in combination with a IEM since there‘s an „ear hook“ on the left side and might not be comfortable with over ear headphones? I guess you use it with a 3.5mm to XLR adapter?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the RME ADI2 PRO fs with a pair of Genelec 8020a and a Kef PSW2000 sub, and a Beyer Dynamic MCE 86 S II on a K&M desk stand at 40 cm distance amplified by a Mackie 1402 VLZ PRO mixing console, all with MS Teams and Zoom. Total overkill but I have it at hand so would be stupid not to use it. People say that when I talk sound quality is similar to a professional news speaker ...

OP
artburda

artburda

I'm using this Lav mic clipped to my shirt: https://micbooster.com/clippy-and-pluggy-microphones/65-clippy-em172-microphone.html
It's plugged into the PC with a Meizu HiFi dongle, though the Apple dongle works just as well.

I compared frequency response and noise of the mic thought the dongle and the Cosmos APU+ADC and found no difference whatsoever.
So, dongle it is.
I was thinking about getting these before, but couldn‘t find out if they would pick up to much noise of the surroundings (mouse clicks, keyboard etc.). What‘s your experience?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I was thinking about getting these before, but couldn‘t find out if they would pick up to much noise of the surroundings (mouse clicks, keyboard etc.). What‘s your experience?
They're omnidirectional, so will pick up all sounds. The only way to block them is to put the mic closer to your mouth, therefore making mouse clicks quieter relative to your voice.

My mouse and Cherry Red keyboard aren't an issue.
Though I tried the Clippy in my friend's apartment that he recently moved into and with minimal furniture and barren walls, it doesn't sound very good.
In that case, a directional condenser microphone would do better.

Willem

Major Contributor
Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked it out. So do you use it in combination with a IEM since there‘s an „ear hook“ on the left side and might not be comfortable with over ear headphones? I guess you use it with a 3.5mm to XLR adapter?
I use it with my stereo amplifier and speakers for most comfortable listening. I don't think it can be combined with a headphone. It is connected to my PC with an external adc. Mind you, the connector is a bit unusual to prevent it disconnecting (it really is a stage mic).

OP
artburda

artburda

I use the RME ADI2 PRO fs with a pair of Genelec 8020a and a Kef PSW2000 sub, and a Beyer Dynamic MCE 86 S II on a K&M desk stand at 40 cm distance amplified by a Mackie 1402 VLZ PRO mixing console, all with MS Teams and Zoom. Total overkill but I have it at hand so would be stupid not to use it. People say that when I talk sound quality is similar to a professional news speaker ...
Hehe, nice setup you‘ve got there. I used a Motu M4 for a while but now I‘m also using a Adi-2 Pro connected to a Sound Devices 442 field mixer as the mic pre amp. Found two of those for cheap when a TV/movie production company was selling off their old equipment. Got both together for about USD 150 and sold one a few weeks later for 400.

TimW

Major Contributor
I voted for Audio interface with a proper microphone on a stand, but also other. My Schiit Hel is an audio interface but not a typical pro audio style one, and my microphone is on a stand with a pop filter but its just a cheap electret.

Edit: Currently using this setup with Salnotes Zero IEMs.

OP
artburda

artburda

In that case, a directional condenser microphone would do better.
Yeah, that‘s why I use mostly the Sennheiser ME-66 on a stand to my left. But the issue is when I have customers that can‘t use ms teams and I have to use their invitation links for their solution, sometimes as a guest using the web application I can‘t blur out the background and the mic is visible to the side.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a Logitech H820e early in lockdown. It's light, comfortable and has superb range. The audio quality is not quite up there with the best Bluetooth headsets, but it's more than good enough and there has to be a trade off for the greatly increased range. I have the base station connected to a USB switch so the headset can be easily switched between my work and personal PCs (I moved my landline telephone number to VoIP when I had fibre broadband installed and the copper disconnected).

staticV3

Master Contributor
Yeah, that‘s why I use mostly the Sennheiser ME-66 on a stand to my left. But the issue is when I have customers that can‘t use ms teams and I have to use their invitation links for their solution, sometimes as a guest using the web application I can‘t blur out the background and the mic is visible to the side.
Well if you want to get a Lav anyway, then the Pluggy is an excellent choice: YouTube Link

iconoclast

I get compliments on my mechanical keyboard typing. But I work with absolute nerds.
Ducky One 2 (MX Blue) -> Shure PG42 (USB) on a RØDE PSA-1
The mic is quite good, but discontinued since a long time ago. Still better than the current Shure MV7 USB mic IMO.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the good old UMIK1 as a microfone and DT990 Edition as my headphones. Works fine.

There was a study that said the worse the audio (lag for example) and picture is, the less competence people assign to you subconciously.

OP
artburda

artburda

Well if you want to get a Lav anyway, then the Pluggy is an excellent choice: YouTube Link
Thanks for the link. Good comparison video. I found a lav mic keyboard typing test. I guess they all pick up the same amount of typing noise since you have to put them in a similar spot on your shirt and they are omni directional. At 2:15

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
USB camera w/ built-in mic, speakers built into monitor. Some people here use the headphones/ IEMs they brought from home for listening to music.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the distance between the mic and your head? My mic is also a shotgun and its about 40 cm away below the left screen pointing up to me. Works great in a very small (but filled with book shelves) room.

Top Bottom