• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio equipment you regret you sold !

Cocoloco

I sold a Denon - PMA 1080 R optical Class A amp because it was Stereo and 5.1 was the rage...$ 75. DUH! ( never knew what the "optical" term was about)
Sold a Quad 303 , 45 watts pre-amp/ amp with some 3A powered speakers ( Art et Acoustic Appliqué ) for $400. Thinking that bigger was better, Gezzz.
Sold a Mission 100 watts rms amp and Mission speakers for $800 just because I wanted to change brand :rolleyes:
Sold a huge Anthem stereo amp with the largest capacitors I've ever seen for 1/3 of the original price because it was no longer needed in my Bar. :facepalm:
Now what I own is worth much less than what I sold. Silly me !

garbulky

Major Contributor
You know that gear you get rid of because it's simply time. to move on? But regardless, they've always delivered the goods, providing great sound and endless hours of enjoyment...
Yep! Count me in!

I miss the looks and ergonomics of my old dac the Emotiva XDA-1. And I miss my Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier. Just a solid great sounding amp. I feel I have traded up, but still miss them.

Emotiva Upa-2
5_1_large.jpg

upa2-internals.jpg

Emotiva XDA-1
14054626563_1820897f83_b.jpg

emotiva_XDA-2_4-580x193.jpg

Hefty remote!
emotivaxda1_4.jpg

StevenEleven

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
People sell their audio gear? o_O No no no no no. Not okay. I put it in the closet. And when the closet is full I put it under the stairs. And when under the stairs is full I put it in the attic. And when the attic is full I put it under the bed. And when under the bed is full I put it in the shower, but take it out every day when I take a shower. When the shower is full I leave it out on the porch but bring it in when it rains. When the porch is full I put it in the car. When the car is full I put it in the kids’ rooms. When the . . . Well, I think you get the idea. Because you know I might need it one day. Just maybe. It’s not an emotional attachment, it’s just audio gear. It’s just impractical to get rid of it when I might need it again some day. I still have my turntable from when I was a teenager. And now it’s very difficult to get a turntable that good for any kind of reasonable price. And I show my kids how LPs work because that’s very very important. See? And then I put the turntable on the coffee table in the living room as a conversation piece. I’ll put different LPs on it. I like the old Capitol LPs with the rainbow colors in a ring around the middle. My turntable on the coffee table in the living room with an old Capitol LP on the platter with a rainbow ring around the middle really adds a touch of class to the decor, I think. See? So I don’t get rid of audio equipment. No no no no no.

Last edited:
OP
Cocoloco

Cocoloco

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You know that gear you get rid of because it's simply time. to move on? But regardless, they've always delivered the goods, providing great sound and endless hours of enjoyment...
Yep! Count me in!

I miss the looks and ergonomics of my old dac the Emotiva XDA-1. And I miss my Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier. Just a solid great sounding amp. I feel I have traded up, but still miss them.

Emotiva Upa-2
5_1_large.jpg

upa2-internals.jpg

Emotiva XDA-1
14054626563_1820897f83_b.jpg

emotiva_XDA-2_4-580x193.jpg

Hefty remote!
emotivaxda1_4.jpg
I picked up a used UPA-2 for I believe $150 a year ago, it indeed is a solid amp.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I picked up a used UPA-2 for I believe $150 a year ago, it indeed is a solid amp.
Oh man! I thought I got a great deal when I got it approx $300 brand new. Close to a decade later I lost very little when I sold it. Its closest equivalent at the time from Emotiva was $500. At $150 you pretty much lucked out. I've listened to a lot of amps, some in the 2k and 10k range which I would not have wanted to switch with even if it was free like for instance the Yamaha AS-2000. I'm sure your UPA-2 will keep ticking for as long as you use it.

ripvw

- Accuphase T100 FM tuner
- Acoustic Research AR11 speakers
- APT preamp and amp
- Chartwell LS3/5A speakers
- Concept 16.5 receiver (Richard Schram design, best receiver ever made IMO)
- Dahlquist subwoofer crossover 6db/24db
- Infinity Servo-Statik 1 electrostatic speakers (panels only)
- Infinity Black Widow tonearms (2)
- Linn Sondek LP12 turntable and Ittok arm
- Pioneer M22 class A amp
- Quad 33 preamp and 303 amp
- Revox A77 MKII 15ips 1/2 track open-reel tape recorder
- Schoeps ribbon mics (2)
- Shure Ultra 500 phono cartridge (best MM I've ever heard, discontinued, no more replacement styli)
- Stax electrostatic headphones and solid state amp (top of the line at the time)
- Thorens TD-125AB turntables (2)
- Threshold cascode amp
- Vandersteen 2CE speakers

most of these were giveaways, not sales. Ex-wife and son got some good stuff...

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quad 33/405 and speakers. What was I thinking?

Denon DP-75 with custom base/Grace G-747 arm. What was I thinking?

Fisher FM-90x tube tuner. Never used it much, but it was fun to look at.

Pioneer SX-1980 receiver. I chalk that loss up to a 'lose half of everything you own' divorce. My advice: don't get married and keep your gear. Easier to replace a girlfriend than a monster Pioneer receiver.

Acoustat TNT200 amp/TNP preamp. I sold them as a pair because I was afraid the amp would eventually break, and where can you get Hitachi MOSFETs anymore? So I get a pass on that.

Top Bottom