• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Equipment Isolators

Descartes

Major Contributor
Anyone uses audio equipment isolators, especially for Blu-ray players?

These look cool but prices are ridiculous!

- IsoAcoustics Orea Series Audio Equipment Isolators

Looking for much cheaper cost effective solutions!

Hatto

Does your blu-ray player rattle or vibrate enough to make audible noise when spinning?

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
Does your blu-ray player rattle or vibrate enough to make audible noise when spinning?
It sits on top of my preamp and I want to get more space on between th he two pieces of equipment!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Why ?
Looks ? hum ? convenience ?
Does it have to be feet ? Will a block of wood be enough ?

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
Why ?
Looks ? hum ? convenience ?
Does it have to be feet ? Will a block of wood be enough ?
Looking for something that doesn’t transfer the heat, is esthetically pleasing and allows for good air circulation!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Is it a tube pre-amp that generates heat ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Ah...

Well then I suppose it all comes down to esthetics then and elevation height.
Nothing fancy/expensive would be needed. It would just have to look nice to you and not have any other properties than that.

Last edited:

Punter

These Isolators supposedly....

- Remove parasitic vibration in hi-fi components
- Enable undisturbed performance in your equipment
- Sound becomes more clear and transparent when Orea's are used
- Supports 1.8kg per unit
- Dimensions: 4.06 x 4.06 x 2.79 cm; 119 Grams

Prices are around $60-65 AUD so relatively cheap for a HiFi "tweak" . However, the Blu-ray mechanism spins a disc weighing 18 to 20 grams, ( 0,63 to 0,71 ounces) and to all intents and purposes, the disc would be pretty close to perfectly concentric (not sure if anyone has actually measured it). The spinning disc would represent the biggest moving mass in a player that was operating. The only other moving parts will be the electromagnetic focus mechanism to position the lens and the linear carriage with the laser pickup mounted on it. Indicate to me where the "parasitic vibrations" are coming from in this scenario?

What are parasitic vibrations anyway? I understand a concept like "parasitic drag" which is an aviation term to describe aerodynamic drag from the structure of an aircraft ie, drag caused by parts of an aircraft not associated with the production of lift. In the field of electronics parasitic oscillation (not vibration) is an undesirable electronic oscillation (cyclic variation in output voltage or current) in an electronic or digital device often caused by positive feedback in an amplifying device. Parasitic vibration is not a term used to define an effect in any other area than HiFi. Hmmm, it couldn't be hokey could it?

I'll save you the trouble. These "isolators" are nothing more than jewellery. The engineers that designed your Blu-Ray player have created a mechanism that will faithfully reproduce every one and zero encoded on the disc, provided the laser in the pickup is running within the emission tolerance that is necessary for operation. The laser in the pickup is solid state but will get weaker over time but were talking 50,000 hours if the unit is of good quality. If the pickup ceases to read the disc correctly, the disc probably won't read it's table of contents and subsequently won't play, it won't "degrade" the sound, there will be no sound.

Equally, there is almost no external vibration (disturbance) that will cause the laser pickup to mis-track unless you pick up the machine while it's playing and drop it. If you can get the laser pickup to mis-track, then the effect will be a skip, where the buffer in the DAC runs out of data or a "Cylon" voice effect where there's missing data but not enough to cause the DAC to mute (unlikely).

One of the joys of digital sound reproduction is the way it rejects errors or self-corrects them. Unlike analog where errors and noise are incorporated into the playback.

isoacoustics_orea_graphite_component_isolator_melbourne_hi_fi1aa_600x600.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You can get no name sorbothane pucks for audio gear cheap enough. They do absorb vibration whether it matters or not. And they won't mar your gear with one piece sitting upon another. So while I might not buy some of the claims, they are pretty good for not crazy money. Or you could use hockey pucks though they are pretty hard likely not absorbing much vibration. Maple also absorbs some vibration and maple blocks can look nice. So another option.

egellings

Major Contributor
You can get no name sorbothane pucks for audio gear cheap enough. They do absorb vibration whether it matters or not. And they won't mar your gear with one piece sitting upon another. So while I might not buy some of the claims, they are pretty good for not crazy money. Or you could use hockey pucks. Maple also absorbs some vibration and maple blocks can look nice. So another option.

What about woods other than maple?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What about woods other than maple?
Some are better, probably most are worse. Chances are the vibration doesn't matter to you as much as ventilation and appearance. Cork is better. I've seen people make their own little cork feet and wrap them in a pretty wood veneer.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor

There are several choices. I spray the springs with @TM Flex Seal and insert expandable ear plug inside the springs and reassemble. I load
the top and bottom of the case. 4 on the bottom with 3 springs each and two on the top with 2-3 springs each. I load Sony SACD ES for
better isolation FROM heavy sub/bass tracks. I decouple everything. Springs, Pods or air ride.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@Descartes

In short, if you have a problem with reliable data retrieval from your Bluray disc player due to exterior influences causing casework resonances, or interior issues from degraded laser sled suspension elastomers causing mech vibration, then isolating feet can often improve or completely solve those problems.

Bluray mechanisms are the least reliable for long term use. They were made very late in the physical disc era, when cost cutting was extreme and they have an overall poor life due to tighter optical tolerances and much higher rotational velocities.

Haflermichi

Hocky pucks.
Cheap, durable, look good. (smell bad for a few days though!)
1" high x 3"diameter.
$40 for 25 on amazon. All you'll ever need.
If you're really ambitious you could use a forstner drill bit and counter bore them so that stock feet fit within them.
Then they will look like the came with the equipment.
I put felt feet on the bottom of mine so they don't mar the wood top of my cabinet.

OP
D

Descartes

Major Contributor
These Isolators supposedly....

- Remove parasitic vibration in hi-fi components
- Enable undisturbed performance in your equipment
- Sound becomes more clear and transparent when Orea's are used
- Supports 1.8kg per unit
- Dimensions: 4.06 x 4.06 x 2.79 cm; 119 Grams

Prices are around $60-65 AUD so relatively cheap for a HiFi "tweak" . However, the Blu-ray mechanism spins a disc weighing 18 to 20 grams, ( 0,63 to 0,71 ounces) and to all intents and purposes, the disc would be pretty close to perfectly concentric (not sure if anyone has actually measured it). The spinning disc would represent the biggest moving mass in a player that was operating. The only other moving parts will be the electromagnetic focus mechanism to position the lens and the linear carriage with the laser pickup mounted on it. Indicate to me where the "parasitic vibrations" are coming from in this scenario?

What are parasitic vibrations anyway? I understand a concept like "parasitic drag" which is an aviation term to describe aerodynamic drag from the structure of an aircraft ie, drag caused by parts of an aircraft not associated with the production of lift. In the field of electronics parasitic oscillation (not vibration) is an undesirable electronic oscillation (cyclic variation in output voltage or current) in an electronic or digital device often caused by positive feedback in an amplifying device. Parasitic vibration is not a term used to define an effect in any other area than HiFi. Hmmm, it couldn't be hokey could it?

I'll save you the trouble. These "isolators" are nothing more than jewellery. The engineers that designed your Blu-Ray player have created a mechanism that will faithfully reproduce every one and zero encoded on the disc, provided the laser in the pickup is running within the emission tolerance that is necessary for operation. The laser in the pickup is solid state but will get weaker over time but were talking 50,000 hours if the unit is of good quality. If the pickup ceases to read the disc correctly, the disc probably won't read it's table of contents and subsequently won't play, it won't "degrade" the sound, there will be no sound.

Equally, there is almost no external vibration (disturbance) that will cause the laser pickup to mis-track unless you pick up the machine while it's playing and drop it. If you can get the laser pickup to mis-track, then the effect will be a skip, where the buffer in the DAC runs out of data or a "Cylon" voice effect where there's missing data but not enough to cause the DAC to mute (unlikely).

One of the joys of digital sound reproduction is the way it rejects errors or self-corrects them. Unlike analog where errors and noise are incorporated into the playback.

isoacoustics_orea_graphite_component_isolator_melbourne_hi_fi1aa_600x600.jpg
Way too expensive for my blood!!

Top Bottom