• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio brand Onkyo weighs last-ditch sale of core business

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor

devopsprodude

Their stuff just hasn't been competitive with Denon/Marantz and other brands of late. Their room correction is sub-par. Even with employee discount, I didn't think their 2005ish Integra Research RDC-7.1 was worth the money, not to mention that they never really came out with upgraded modules for it.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Onkyo was up there at one point....was their hdmi/network board issue in 2009-12 range and the fix for such the nail in the coffin particularly? I tend to think so....

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Too bad. I have a 2010s CD player that is great as a transport or with internal DAC. I love their 1970s stuff, not sure if I have a receiver or not... i would have to look. I would be all over an Yamaha AS3200 killer at half the price, but alas, there may be no business model for that. The other thing about Onkyo is they seemed to avoid stints of making crap. I don't think I have heard a bad unit.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Their last chance is to sell a lot of Dirac AVRs Onkyo/Pioneer.
I am ready to by my first Onkyo during next Black Friday.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hope they're not going under. I've owned 2 of their AVR's and both still going strong. The newer one the RZ 810 is my main AVR and the older NR 626 was IMO way ahead of its time-has bi-amp capability, zone 2 capability, high power, etc for a very low price (at the time).

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hope they're not going under. I've owned 2 of their AVR's and both still going strong. The newer one the RZ 810 is my main AVR and the older NR 626 was IMO way ahead of its time-has bi-amp capability, zone 2 capability, high power, etc for a very low price (at the time).

Well the bi-amp in most avrs is not all that interesting, but reminds me Onkyo did put out a few models (818, 919 IIRC, maybe one of the 5000 series too?) with an actual active crossover (limited to a pair of two ways). They were very feature packed for the $. I still enjoy my old one, despite it needing the rescue via the extended warranty on the network/hdmi board issue. I hope they can hang on but the news keeps going south it seems....but maybe there's a way.

Top Bottom