• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Blind Testing - You Are Doing It Wrong! (Video)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, at least Lexxie was a better troll than most of the latest crop.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To voodooless, Hegel is an amp. To me, Hegel wrote the Wissenschaft der Logik
That actually explains a lot. From the wiki:
His stated goal with The Science of Logic was to overcome what he perceived to be a common flaw running through all other former systems of logic, namely that they all presupposed a complete separation between the content of cognition (the world of objects, held to be entirely independent of thought for their existence), and the form of cognition (the thoughts about these objects, which by themselves are pliable, indeterminate and entirely dependent upon their conformity to the world of objects to be thought of as in any way true).
and
it is only in absolute knowing that the separation of the object from the certainty of itself is completely eliminated: truth is now equated with certainty and certainty with truth."[2] Once thus liberated from duality, the science of thinking no longer requires an object or a matter outside of itself to act as a touchstone for its truth, but rather takes the form of its own self-mediated exposition and development which eventually comprises within itself every possible mode of rational thinking.
None of this is science. It's just philosophical woo.

... coincidentally it may also explain the sub-par measurements of Hegel amps ;)
If you want to see which cases, dials, and prices give you better fantasies, or a “spiritual awakening” you are seeking something else. Knock yourself out, but don’t call it “fidelity” or “accuracy” or “higher quality”.
Or science...

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is she gone? I write 'she' because 'Lexxie' must have been none other than licensed joyologist Helen Madden

Helen started off on the wrong foot here by claiming that blind tests don't get at the questions 'which one is better?". She seems never to have known that preference can be 'tested' scientifically too...using blind protocols of course.

The rest was noise, to paraphrase Alex Ross.

Or to coin a phrase, science abhors a vacuity.

WillBrink

I'm curious why you say that and don't act like you want to learn? MY EGO CAN TEACH YOURS! --No, mommy, he doesn't know my ego is smarter!

Really?!

Assuming we take the original subject of A/B testing of this thread as the topic, I propose:
1. amirm nailed a holy grail video, let's not argue about it anymore, please, amirm presumably posted the video so we would learn it and graduate. Class is over on that, did you get an A on the final?

So now then, I feel like I'm getting invalidated on internet by people who didn't read what I somewhat-too-verbosely said. OK, fine, my bad.
1. If you agree that amirm video nailed it, how do YOU propose to transcend current level of audio science vis-à-vis the big elephant in the room that we can't QUITE measure joy of sound quality from scientific method's current status quo in audiophiliac m.o. ?

There's no elephant in the room, that's been the default fall back position of those who do the "don't confuse me with the facts" thing in audio since the phonograph was invented. That's why people are goofy enough to actually think a power cord can sound different from another.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ChatGPT augmentation is becoming mainstream. ChatGPT was even named as a co-author in some of the newly submitted research papers :)
Soon ChatGPT will have its own YouTube audio channel.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
There is an analogy to these tedious attacks (they can’t be called discussions) in the motorcycle world over the choice of engine oil. I just buy the cheapest oil that meets the required spec, others buy expensive branded oil with “race pedigree” or expensive packaging, or doubtful fuel economy claims. This forum is populated by people who advocate buying the cheapest oil to spec. Anyone who buys Mobil 1 is an idiot to them. However, in motorcycling we don’t arrogantly bully, denigrate and insult those who spend lots on oil.

True. Personal insults and mockery doesn't do any good.

But there are plenty of other audio forums out there with the attitude of "Relax. It's a hobby. Anything goes."

I see ASR as place designed to make life easier for people with a genuine curiosity of how things work. Much of what makes this place different, is a constant attempt at keeping the noise floor as low as possible, so to speak. And you just can't maintain that kind of filtering without stepping on some toes.

If you found a forum focused on the actual chemical engineering of engine oil, I bet the tone would be a lot less "friendly" when some of the ideas from the motorcycling world was brought up.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
One U.K. forum has a ‘thread spooling’ policy so if the topic is ‘which mains cable’ you simply aren’t allowed to point out the alternative position, positive affirmation only, I suspect it all comes down to not interrupting the revenue stream.
Keith

Andysu

Major Contributor

i watched it for second time

Last edited:

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's funny because having someone listen to the same thing twice, but letting them think it's different, is a classic demonstration of the power of sighted bias.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Which time did you like it better? Wait, before you answer, did you blind test it?
oh , yes i did blind and lot more besides that . sound , i take it to next raised bar level now the bar has been raised and i take it to expanding universe level . most on this site wouldn't even do what i do . i wonder why ? why do most on this forum hide behind the keyboard , what are they so afraid of ? Amirm , shows himself he hasn't got anything hide ? he's been honest and open about this subject .
i watched the video again to listen again to his opinions on this , bind listening or testing . what is the point of audio science all about ? doing videos be the video right or wrong ? its all trail and error and discovery . so i nominate you do same video , watch the video again and lets see your reaction . i nominated you

being at school random tests ? school was okay . art drawing , photography athletics , anything else didn't interest me , history , english , grammar . no sound subjects at school , i had to discover that over many no - years later in which i found myself

Andysu

Major Contributor
That's funny because having someone listen to the same thing twice, but letting them think it's different, is a classic demonstration of the power of sighted bias.
i guess you and others listen to same music over and over again ? i know i'm right . listen to lyrics in s music/song and often lyrics can be political/environmental issues ?

i'm sort of listening to the video again . oh , laptops when they are on your lap at upright they sound different that's because the speakers are located underneath and they are designed to lay on flat surface where the sound gets amplifier-ed

Andysu

Major Contributor
i know there is something odd with Dolby labs , oh , yes , yes there cinema professors seem a fraction dB m/v off , out of alignment and adjusting the variable trim resistors so they are level matched , sine wave 1KHz on RTA with voltage level so the values of the numbers appear matched/same

Dolby SA10 is weird from dolby labs , they wanted to phantom menace that jar jar bings , the left input always lights up ahead of right level input ? least that is from my Sony SDDS DFP-D3000 ? even thou levels on SDDS D3000 indicate same level so if i adjust the fader the levels of sine wave 1KHz or other frequency should all rise up/down at same time , hence they are level matched , but doesn't mean they are level matched as testing the actual , system output levels on RTA and if levels appear out of alignment then i would have to fit ( customise variable resistors ) so i can make additional alterations so i then know for sure , the fader levels output matches to the DSP crossover with levels on DSP crossover led all raise up/down at same time .

i then need check the DSP crossover outputs levels are all matched level on RTA ( this is with all set to default 0dB ) once oi know that is checked though i can move onto next , amplifiers and test them all way though .

i would test amplifiers with same signal connected to both inputs and have the outputs connected to my , lucasfilm ltd THX sound system , ( amp return ) with test output connected to pc computer , then i can check if both amplifiers on that amplifier have same level ? if level is not same then i would have to fit another ( variable resistors ) to the inputs . are we all understanding ? what am I getting at ?

all the above would take me hours of testing if not a few days of testing to solder in additional variable resistors , because all these high end manufacturers can't even get their products 0dB level with voltage levels all with same value numbers , because they're too busy counting our money £ $ ?

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i guess you and others listen to same music over and over again ? i know i'm right . listen to lyrics in s music/song and often lyrics can be political/environmental issues ?

I guess the point of your posts will continue to elude me.

Top Bottom