• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio Bit Rates

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wants to play have to pay
OK, I'll bite.

Which of the measurable aspects of a system relate to its "resolution"? (Other than the obvious bit depth in a dac for example). For those that are not bit depth of a DAC, why do you use the word resolution, rather than the technically correct word for whatever the metric is?

What data do you have (for modern kit) that expensive gear consistently perform better for these metrics?

Which is of nonsense of course.

Hey. Why do you hide your profile?
To each his own .. I dun quack and I dun call out nonsense.

And yes, all with 200k systems are idiots with Maseratis and those looking at great measurements from Topping electronics are genius driving Toyotas

Dunno about hiding profile

Last edited:
OK, I'll bite.

Which of the measurable aspects of a system relate to its "resolution"? (Other than the obvious bit depth in a dac for example). For those that are not bit depth of a DAC, why do you use the word resolution, rather than the technically correct word for whatever the metric is?

What data do you have (for modern kit) that expensive gear consistently perform better for these metrics?
Tks tks .. typical audiophile and no experts like you and others.

- SNR db
- 44.1khz vs 192khz vs dsd
- Dynamic range db
- Yamaha tv soundbar vs highband width Spectral electronics with fm accoustic speakers

Cheers.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
- 44.1khz vs 192khz vs dsd

That part is nonsense.

The rest of the list aren't even in need of measurements. Those metrics are usually readily available in the product spec sheet.

And what do you know...... they hardly ever correlate with the price tag. Silly claims about "microplankton", soundstage this and that, "PRaT" and what have you, on the other hand, seem to do.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That part is nonsense.

The rest of the list aren't even in need of measurements. Those metrics are usually readily available in the product spec sheet.

And what do you know...... they hardly ever correlate with the price tag. Silly claims about "microplankton", soundstage this and that, "PRaT" and what have you, on the other hand, seem to do.

And @richard_crl032 quoting two devices is hardly a demonstration of consistency. And chooseing for one of them a non audiophile device type (sound-bar FFS) smacks of a certain amount of desperation. Why didn't you just choose a cheap bluetooth speaker and have done with it?

In fact, hoist by your own petard - the specific metrics you mention are generally surpassed by topping devices over a lot of "high end" gear, and matches the best of high end.

Here is another comparison of two high end devices compared with one low cost device, that clearly demonstrates that lack of consistency.

Totaldac d1-six

Mark Levinson No. 360S

SMSL DO300 (Smokes both of them, and many other of the high end devices measured here at a tiny tiny fraction of the price.)

I could do the same with amps by comparing Hypex/Purify models and putting them up against most "high and" examples of amplification.

Even some of the cheap ass chip amps would beat some so called high end examples.

Wonderfully measured $100 Topping D50 here bought, listened and junked. Will not use it as footer even given for my poorly measured $10000 Denafrip Terminator Plus DE .. hope more learning here in decades to come on what more can be measured which is inevitable since many thought that the earth is square not too long ago in mankind history and that we drop of the horizon until we know better now or ? Cheers.
download.png

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tks but no ... all good and no quack from me for sure
For sure? You verified that by listening just with your ears, and leaving your eyes/foreknowledge out of it? And accurately level matched?

Yes .. by ears all these decades and sometimes documented specification and more often users' shared experiences ... ears deteriorating no doubt but does not matter .. they are the only "equipment" I have but a lot of records, cd, music files and internet radio stations that I am interested about. Cheers.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes .. by ears all these decades and sometimes documented specification and more often users' shared experiences ... ears deteriorating no doubt but does not matter .. they are the only "equipment" I have but a lot of records, cd, music files and internet radio stations that I am interested about. Cheers.
I said "just with your ears" IE Blind level matched test. If not then more than likely than not, your subconscious brain is messing about with the signal detected by your ears, and deceiving you, before it gets to where you hear it.

Top Bottom