• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audio analysis site Magic Vinyl vs Digital -analyzing and rating music releases

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I found this site recently and I've found it really interesting to learn how new music is being released in the various formats on different services and on vinyl.

It provides some insight into why people like vinyl (less compression and more dynamic range)

And if there are differences between hi res offerings between the music streaming services.

Also it looks like Dolby Atmos releases are less compressed dynamically than their stereo counterparts, which is likely why it seems they are lower volume than the regular format when streaming.

I am enjoying my Atmos setup and am encouraged that the loudness wars are not carrying to Atmos.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
It provides some insight into why people like vinyl (less compression and more dynamic range)
Vinyl can be mastered with more or less dynamic range, but format itself has less dynamic range capability than CD or any or the other "standard" digital format. The dynamic range of vinyl is limited by noise.

This is complicated by the famous DR meter which measures the crest factor (peak to average ratio). The process of cutting and playing vinyl changes wave shape and you end-up with some higher peaks and some lower peaks. That doesn't affect the sound of the dynamics but it makes a higher crest factor and the vinyl will "measure better". Something similar happens when you make an MP3... The peaks on a CD can't go over 0dB, but the MP3 copy often goes over +1dB making a higher crest factor, again without affecting the sound of the dynamics.

From what I've read most modern vinyl is made from the same master as the digital release, sometimes with some additional filtering/processing to accommodate vinyl limitations. But the mastering details are rarely published.

Older vinyl that was produced before the availability of digital compression & limiting may have better dynamics than the re-mastered CD or MP3.

OP
B

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Take a look at the measurements in the article and let me know your interpretation of the results. I agree vinyl is an inferior format to digital. The authors conclusion is that artificial compression is being applied to the digital stereo releases resulting in lower dynamic range than their vinyl and Atmos counterparts.

Top Bottom