• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audient ID22 converters vs High end conversion?

Hi All

Hope everyone is well.

I am looking at getting an ID22, mainly for mixing and running outboard via Pro Tools

I am wondering how the AD/DA holds up? It is up there with higher-end AD/DA converters?

Thank you :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are the manufacturer's specs.
https://support.audient.com/hc/en-us/articles/202917128-iD22-Specifications

If it meets those it certainly is competitive. There are better, and they cost more. There are some similar for similar costs.

Might consider a more recent design like a Motu Ultralite mk4 if controlling the device remotely with phone or tablet is useful. The ID22 probably has slightly better specs, but doesn't have the ability to control it remotely thru an app to my knowledge. If that isn't important or useful then the ID22 is a fine choice.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UltraLite4--motu-ultralite-mk4-usb-audio-interface
The MOTU is about a hundred dollars more.

OP
A
Here are the manufacturer's specs.
https://support.audient.com/hc/en-us/articles/202917128-iD22-Specifications

If it meets those it certainly is competitive. There are better, and they cost more. There are some similar for similar costs.

Might consider a more recent design like a Motu Ultralite mk4 if controlling the device remotely with phone or tablet is useful. The ID22 probably has slightly better specs, but doesn't have the ability to control it remotely thru an app to my knowledge. If that isn't important or useful then the ID22 is a fine choice.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UltraLite4--motu-ultralite-mk4-usb-audio-interface
The MOTU is about a hundred dollars more.

Thanks for the reply and info. I wouldn't really have any need to control via phone or tablet.

You think the converters on the MOTU are better?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply and info. I wouldn't really have any need to control via phone or tablet.

You think the converters on the MOTU are better?
I've not used the Audient, though I nearly purchased one a couple times. So I don't know if they are or not. I think more than likely the converters in either one are not going to be an issue for you in practice. So inputs, outputs, connections, and ease of use are how I would make the decision.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Stability is the most important thing in recording. Specs don't tell much in real world use. Buy from local shops that supports return if possible.

OP
A
I've not used the Audient, though I nearly purchased one a couple times. So I don't know if they are or not. I think more than likely the converters in either one are not going to be an issue for you in practice. So inputs, outputs, connections, and ease of use are how I would make the decision.

It's always a tough one buying a new interface. Do I go the whole hog and get something like a Prism or just get a lower interface like an Audient.

I always see conflicting things saying how things such as Prism's, Hilo etc are a million miles better than something like an Audient and then others saying the difference is minimal.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's always a tough one buying a new interface. Do I go the whole hog and get something like a Prism or just get a lower interface like an Audient.

I always see conflicting things saying how things such as Prism's, Hilo etc are a million miles better than something like an Audient and then others saying the difference is minimal.
Can't say I've used the high dollar interfaces. Just looking at measured results etc. I don't know what the Prism's and such do. The only explanation you get is always try it you'll see of which I'm dubious. Some of them do have excellent specs and higher output levels and such, but not to an extent to indicate a big shortcoming for other interfaces.

I'd say if you want to try one of the upper tier devices, get a used one, see if it is really that great. If not, you can sell it to recoup all or nearly all your money. You'll have satisfied your curiosity that way. I also admit I sometimes just want something a little extra because I feel more confident that way.

I've more or less made peace for myself with inexpensive interfaces may a rung up from really cheap. I've more trouble with microphones. They all sound really different. Sometimes a high dollar one doesn't sound better, and sometimes it does. I think much of that is matching the character to your needs.

OP
A
Can't say I've used the high dollar interfaces. Just looking at measured results etc. I don't know what the Prism's and such do. The only explanation you get is always try it you'll see of which I'm dubious. Some of them do have excellent specs and higher output levels and such, but not to an extent to indicate a big shortcoming for other interfaces.

I'd say if you want to try one of the upper tier devices, get a used one, see if it is really that great. If not, you can sell it to recoup all or nearly all your money. You'll have satisfied your curiosity that way. I also admit I sometimes just want something a little extra because I feel more confident that way.

I've more or less made peace for myself with inexpensive interfaces may a rung up from really cheap. I've more trouble with microphones. They all sound really different. Sometimes a high dollar one doesn't sound better, and sometimes it does. I think much of that is matching the character to your needs.

Yeah I get what you mean. It is always hard to say how much of a difference there is.

I have a few expensive mics and some sound rather shit to be honest. Some sound amazing.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
The iD22 looks more than fine, though I'd go for a Babyface if I were spending this kind of money. But if you really use it professionally (i.e. with multiple inputs/outputs), the iD22 will probably be easier to use, because it's only got physical buttons.

OP
A
The iD22 looks more than fine, though I'd go for a Babyface if I were spending this kind of money. But if you really use it professionally (i.e. with multiple inputs/outputs), the iD22 will probably be easier to use, because it's only got physical buttons.

Cheers. I was looking at it too. Would be running outboard so something like the Audient might be better in that aspect.

I like that you can bypass the pres in it which is a plus. The again I might take the leap and go broke and get a Prism haha

PeteL

Major Contributor
I've been using the ID22 for a few years and I can certainly recommend, It is very flexible, the multi function wheel is a joy to use, it sounds great, never had compatibility issues when updating macOS, which isn't a given on other interface (pricier) that I've had. It just works, no hiccups, no issue, I can vouch 100%.
edit: Mine is the id14 not ID22, I guess It's so trouble free I forget it's there and never have to think about it to the point of forgetting the model number haha. I'm sure my comment still stand for the bigger brother tough.

Last edited:

richpjr

I picked up the ID22 shortly after it came out and had a lot of driver instability and latency issues. I replaced it with a Babyface Pro and it has been rock solid with very low latency. I have heard that the Audient drivers have improved, but have no experience with them recently.

Top Bottom