• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audible noise from G6 when using as DAC only

michty_me

I’ve recently switched from using my G6 as an all in one to using the G6 as a DAC fed by an RCA cable into the Asgard 3 input.

Unfortunately I seem to be getting audible noise from the G6 such as mouse movements and GPU noise.
This is most apparent between 0-10 oclock positions which then disappears until around the 3pm position again.

If I feed the G6 from a different wall outlet and use optical out from the PC, The noise isn’t audible any longer but doing so makes me lose the mic and other functions of the G6 obviously.
So I guess its either find another solution of different DAC and mic or revert to the G6 fully and consider returning the Asgard unfortunately. Any further thoughts?

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Looks like a ground loop issue and noise from your PC is making it to the Asgard. A quality audio isolation transformer between the G6 and Asgard might be a simple fix. They also sell USB devices like the iFi Defender that may help with the ground noise.

The noise can be eliminated sometimes by trying various combinations of connections like your use of a optical TOSLINK cable acting as a optoisolator, but it can be difficult to remove completely without impacting the functionality of your setup.

OP
M

michty_me

Looks like a ground loop issue and noise from your PC is making it to the Asgard. A quality audio isolation transformer between the G6 and Asgard might be a simple fix. They also sell USB devices like the iFi Defender that may help with the ground noise.

The noise can be eliminated sometimes by trying various combinations of connections like your use of a optical TOSLINK cable acting as a optoisolator, but it can be difficult to remove completely without impacting the functionality of your setup.

This is what I feared it may be.
It could be back to the drawing board as due to limited sp[ace and my dislike of clutter on the desk, I don't really want to be adding more cables and devices.
When using the G6 as amp and dac just powered from USB, I have no such issues. It sounds very clean to be honest. Maybe I should just stick with that if it is doing the job and look at returning the Asgard. Hmm decisions!

JayGilb

Major Contributor
This is what I feared it may be.
It could be back to the drawing board as due to limited sp[ace and my dislike of clutter on the desk, I don't really want to be adding more cables and devices.
When using the G6 as amp and dac just powered from USB, I have no such issues. It sounds very clean to be honest. Maybe I should just stick with that if it is doing the job and look at returning the Asgard. Hmm decisions!
61Tj-80B71L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
The iFi defender, if it fixes your problem, is just a USB dongle and would not add much for clutter, even a small audio isolator, if packaged nicely, would not be too much of an eyesore.

Last edited:
OP
M

michty_me

View attachment 153314
The iFi defender, it it fixes your problem, is just a USB dongle and would not add much for clutter, even a small audio isolator, if packaged nicely, would not be too much of an eyesore.

Thanks, I've just ordered one. It's meant to be arriving tomorrow so shall update on its arrival. Thanks!

OP
M

michty_me

View attachment 153314
The iFi defender, if it fixes your problem, is just a USB dongle and would not add much for clutter, even a small audio isolator, if packaged nicely, would not be too much of an eyesore.
I just received it, Plugged it in and away goes the noise. Mic is crystal clear too by the sound of it doing a recording. I can turn the pot as much as I want on the asgard and no noticeable noise at all now!

Thank you very much for your help!

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I just received it, Plugged it in and away goes the noise. Mic is crystal clear too by the sound of it doing a recording. I can turn the pot as much as I want on the asgard and no noticeable noise at all now!

Thank you very much for your help!

Excellent. Glad to help.

Top Bottom