• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audible difference between Topping DX3 & DX7 Pros

sbmarr

My first post here and what a great forum. My question is with the results of amirm's measurements on both these devices would there be an audible difference between them for the average person if using HD650 headphones. I know the DX7 Pro as better specifications but are they audible?

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't see anything in the numbers that would be (should be) audible, except for the possible exception of certain extreme headphone situations. Full disclosure: I have the DX7 Pro and it's outstanding, IMO. At $520 or lower it seems like a pretty good deal for a SOTA piece of equipment that should last quite a long time. But with the DX3 Pro now at $200, I see the dilemma.

OP
S

sbmarr

Thanks for your reply. Yes the DX7 Pro is a nice piece of kit but here in New Zealand the DX3 Pro is $325 and the DX7 Pro is $900 NZ. So hence the wondering of the audible differences. I probably won't be using any extreme headphone situations.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you haven't already, perhaps apos.audio can help you. They have great customer service (use the chat function) and will match any price online. Right now HiFiGo.com seems to have the low price. Maybe one of them can help you with a direct ship from China to NZ?

OP
S

sbmarr

Apos doesn't ship to NZ but HiFiGo can. What I'm thinking is considering that there is very likely little if any audible difference between them and for the headphones I've got why spend the extra money.

Damian

Amir said he would replace his with the dx7 pro as a daily driver.

thumbslapper

sbmarr - what did you end up going with?

I have the same dilemna right now, but nowdays the dx3pro is ~165 and dx7 is $375 (on massdrop - those prices might be off 'cause both drops are expired, but they come back every month or so).

anyone else compare the two? I'm still rocking my ~15 year old HD650's - i've swapped out a few parts but they continue to get 2-4 hours daily use, and I'm using a old Focusrite Pro 40 as my headphone amp which is not a good choice. Mainly looking for a headphone amp with a preamp out as well.

thx all! - carl

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
sbmarr - what did you end up going with?

I have the same dilemna right now, but nowdays the dx3pro is ~165 and dx7 is $375 (on massdrop - those prices might be off 'cause both drops are expired, but they come back every month or so).

anyone else compare the two? I'm still rocking my ~15 year old HD650's - i've swapped out a few parts but they continue to get 2-4 hours daily use, and I'm using a old Focusrite Pro 40 as my headphone amp which is not a good choice. Mainly looking for a headphone amp with a preamp out as well.

thx all! - carl

JDS Atom stack?

Top Bottom