• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audibility of Low Damping Factor? - Benchmark Myth-Busting White Paper

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Is this the appropriate place to work out your issues?
What issue? People were asking if small dB imbalance is audible or not. I am giving an example where small dB imbalance is audible in my case. Again, not going to argue about bias like you always like to claim.

Both speakers dip down to below 4 ohms around 100 to 300 Hz. I will let other do the maths.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
What issue? People were asking if small dB imbalance is audible or not. I am giving an example where small dB imbalance is audible in my case.

Not audible, "audible."

OP
MediumRare

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What issue? People were asking if small dB imbalance is audible or not. I am giving an example where small dB imbalance is audible in my case. Again, not going to argue about bias like you always like to claim.

Both speakers dip down to below 4 ohms around 100 to 300 Hz. I will let other do the maths.
As the OP, I’m interested in your case. The impedance of your speakers is not unusual.So two requests, please: 1. Do you have specs for the amp? 2. Measure (using REW) the in room FR and leave both measurements on the same graph. It doesn’t matter if you use your laptop microphone because we’re only looking for differences.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
As the OP, I’m interested in your case. The impedance of your speakers is not unusual.So two requests, please: 1. Do you have specs for the amp? 2. Measure (using REW) the in room FR and leave both measurements on the same graph. It doesn’t matter if you use your laptop microphone because we’re only looking for differences.
I can't find more A21 measurements, other than official statement of +1000 at 20 Hz.

In soundstage, they do test other Parasound amps, including A23 and JC5. I will assume A21 is something in between A23 and JC5.
You can get measurements at https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17&Itemid=141

I don't think this is something that could be measured with REW. I have another thread where my DAC got channel imbalance of ~0.2db and offered to measured with REW and was told REW is not accurate enough, period! So, not going to spend time doing REW measurements for overall balance changes that are most likely also in that range. Just going to give my observations and leave it at that.

Another issue is personal sensitivities to minor sounds changes. Not everyone is as sensitive. My sensitivity is pretty high. See my screen shots of my online blind tests here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/how-good-is-your-hearing.20417/post-692530

Edit: another data point. My 10 ft 10awg cables are connected via bare wire method. My previous generic 12 awg cable are terminated with banana plugs (cheap ones from Amazon).

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I think I have another example that have "audible" changes due to damping factor.

I have tried Parasound A23 in mono mode before and quickly get away from mono mode as the music sounded harsher for me.

If you look at measurements from soundstage, by changing to mono mode, A23 damping factor drop from 800 between 20hz to 500 Hz to below 30 in the same range! That seems like excessive change, but should be a good candidate to show "audible" changes due to damping factor.

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...er&catid=97:amplifier-measurements&Itemid=154

OP
MediumRare

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think this is something that could be measured with REW. I have another thread where my DAC got channel imbalance of ~0.2db and offered to measured with REW and was told REW is not accurate enough, period! So, not going to spend time doing REW measurements for overall balance changes that are most likely also in that range. Just going to give my observations and leave it at that.
No offense, but your observations are not valuable without any factual information to back them up. Data, references to engineering docs, etc. Golden ears notwithstanding.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
No offense, but your observations are not valuable without any factual information to back them up. Data, references to engineering docs, etc. Golden ears notwithstanding.
Unfortunately, in my other thread, I was told REW can't show minor dB differences. Thus, it still all boiled down to blind tests. I am giving others my observations just in case they are using similar combination of speakers, amp, and cables. May be they will know they are not alone in what they heard. This is how it is beneficial. Sorry it is not of use to you.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom