• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audibility of AVR's vs ASR's better reviewed equipment?

goldark

Forum Donor
I realize that the AVR's here are graded somewhat on a curve and don't measure up there with the best amplifiers and DAC's on this site (in terms of SINAD, among other things).

But is this actually audible in a blind test? (assuming no room correction is engaged).

If I have a middling AVR currently, is there a sonic reason to upgrade to something more "ASR approved" if I didn't need any updated features?

delta76

Major Contributor
room correction would make bigger impact than 10 SINAD difference, so I'm not sure why you leave it out of the equation.
Nothing beat an AVR in term of P/P given the significant bigger market they are.

TSB

Probably not if the amp is not running out of power.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed, you probably won't hear any difference. It's fun seeing all those 0s for the distortion, but maybe not meaningful IRL. Anything approaching 0.01% distortion is probably good enough.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

For a real eye (or ear) opener, I keep on directing people to see (hear?) how much distortion they can hear....
You will quickly realize that any AVR that does -80 dB is good enough for the purpose.. and let's keep in mind that most any LP chain would not go beyond 50 dB SINAD, including the expensive LP + Tubes contraptions some audiophiles are fond of..
A good AVR such as the Denon AVR-X3700 is a formidable audio anchor for most audiophiles. They see it as an HT devices, it is that of course, but much more when correctly set up and used.
Here is the Klippel Listening Test

Peace

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I realize that the AVR's here are graded somewhat on a curve and don't measure up there with the best amplifiers and DAC's on this site (in terms of SINAD, among other things).

But is this actually audible in a blind test? (assuming no room correction is engaged).

If I have a middling AVR currently, is there a sonic reason to upgrade to something more "ASR approved" if I didn't need any updated features?
Random and evolving thoughts…
-As @FrantzM has noted, distortion is very hard to hear. SINAD is THD(distortion)+Noise
-Depending on your speaker sensitivity, how close you sit to those speakers, and how loud you listen, noise could be an issue. This is something you could hear as hiss in your speakers. When at your max volume do you hear any hiss/noise coming from the speakers?
-Some people like to be sure that their system will be free from distortion and noise. The higher the SINAD the more certainty you will have. Others will know that distortion with material is difficult to hear and go at it from a practical standpoint. If I can’t hear noise then I’m unlikely to ever hear distortion with actual content
-I like to purchase well engineered products and be as certain as I can that it isn’t an issue, but am aware that I would probably fail a double blind test with content with a product at a SINAD of 80 under most circumstances. My StormAudio is around 100 SINAD and with my current speakers are dead silent. So for me I would hope for something over 90 but who knows if a product had the right feature set, etc for a particular use I would loose any sleep over it.
-The bigger issues with sound quality will be speakers, room eq, subwoofer integration, software stability, warranty/support, useability, enough power/current to drive your speakers, speaker setup, etc etc…
-The reviews here I still find very important as they provide a snapshot of where things stand, expose bugs/shortcomings, etc. Without them we would have no idea on the current state of things and spur manufacturers to do better.
YMMV

YSC

Major Contributor
Hi

For a real eye (or ear) opener, I keep on directing people to see (hear?) how much distortion they can hear....
You will quickly realize that any AVR that does -80 dB is good enough for the purpose.. and let's keep in mind that most any LP chain would not go beyond 50 dB SINAD, including the expensive LP + Tubes contraptions some audiophiles are found of..
A good AVR such as the Denon AVR-X3700 is a formidable audio anchor for most audiophiles. They see it as an HT devices, it is that of course, but much more when correctly set up and used.

Peace
just did it with TV from next room and a high cpu fan running pc, result was -45db, I was like really unable to percieve any distortion at -51db at low listening volume, so it seems at my listening level, distortion below ~-50db is great enough

NirreFirre

Forum Donor
Random and evolving thoughts…
-As @FrantzM has noted, distortion is very hard to hear. SINAD is THD(distortion)+Noise
-Depending on your speaker sensitivity, how close you sit to those speakers, and how loud you listen, noise could be an issue. This is something you could hear as hiss in your speakers. When at your max volume do you hear any hiss/noise coming from the speakers?
-Some people like to be sure that their system will be free from distortion and noise. The higher the SINAD the more certainty you will have. Others will know that distortion with material is difficult to hear and go at it from a practical standpoint. If I can’t hear noise then I’m unlikely to ever hear distortion with actual content
-I like to purchase well engineered products and be as certain as I can that it isn’t an issue, but am aware that I would probably fail a double blind test with content with a product at a SINAD of 80 under most circumstances. My StormAudio is around 100 SINAD and with my current speakers are dead silent. So for me I would hope for something over 90 but who knows if a product had the right feature set, etc for a particular use I would loose any sleep over it.
-The bigger issues with sound quality will be speakers, room eq, subwoofer integration, software stability, warranty/support, useability, enough power/current to drive your speakers, speaker setup, etc etc…
-The reviews here I still find very important as they provide a snapshot of where things stand, expose bugs/shortcomings, etc. Without them we would have no idea on the current state of things and spur manufacturers to do better.
YMMV
Exactly. Looking at the electronic parts of the reproduction chain is widely regarded as pretty pointless where I come from (www.faktiskt.io, Swedish forum with similar science and technology based members) when most regular speakers have distortion in the full percentages when playing at or near reference level, especially in the lower frequencies.

Actually. The designer of Guru Audio has made a point of this, demoing his "non public" speakers (starting at ~$600 but most being around $2-4000) he design under the name Ino Audio (Ingvar Öhman) in a pretty good acousticly treated cellar, using a Denon AVR from ~2005. They blow a lot of first listeners off their feet, having a good design and very low distortion.

DACs, gain on a wire and DRCs, DSPs etc have to be of somewhat good performance but they're pointless upgrades until your room and speakers are sorted.. and - your source material is recorded well enough. Popular music material is seldom realistic enough to give you "I'm at the session/concert" vibes these days.. "Sounds good" is one thing, but hard to relate to (fidelity wise) if every instrument and performance are processed into something you have no reference to on how it sounds in real life. Having experienced the almost scary realism (pitch black room to focus on the hearing) some natural recorded tracks in that cellar, that made me rise the bar for where one can get out of a reproduction system/chain. I recommend all to try to get these sorts of demos.

Reactions: TSB

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My experience with a Yamaha RXA3030 AVR was that I needed an ext power amp because of low impedance woofers, and the preouts from the AVR were slightly noisy compared to an E30 DAC that is dead quiet. Otherwise same, both sound great. The AVR versatility as a video/audio controller with a Chromecast source is great.

rana_kirti

My preferred avrs have been given Not Recommended by asr. So I've decided to wait for 2024 models.

YSC

Major Contributor
My preferred avrs have been given Not Recommended by asr. So I've decided to wait for 2024 models.
Why bother, not recommended but if the performance is ok (like ~75+db SINAD for amp and 96db for dac) it really is beyond audible defects, with the power and functionality fits your need then it’s a ok purchase, but of course, the hype from acquiring some fantastic gear would feel less.

apgood

Hi

You will quickly realize that any AVR that does -80 dB is good enough for the purpose.. and let's keep in mind that most any LP chain would not go beyond 50 dB SINAD, including the expensive LP + Tubes contraptions some audiophiles are fond of..

Peace
I think LP + Tube amp isn't about 100% faithful reproduction of the source. It is about adding something to the source that the listener finds pleasing and increases their engagement with what they ate listening to.

In this respect you can't really compare it to sound reproduction which is more about being true to the source and using technologies such as room correction to take external factors like the room (and even speaker voicing to an extent) out of the equation. Here minimising thing's like distortion, noise floor, etc can be more important in order to maximise processing headroom, etc.

Conversely in a multi channel setup for movies (especially action type movies) where there is a lot going on with explosions, sudden noises fleeting from different speakers and a lot going on visually you are probably less likely to notice the subtle differences in sound unless you listen to the same sections repeatedly vs 2 channel music or even multi channel music where the listener isn't distracted by what is going on visually and is listening for the subtlies in the music.

Not saying -80dB isn't enough but if engaging the room correction lowers it another 10 or so then it may become an issue. I remember with my old Denon 6300 engaging room correction raised the noise floor enough that I noticed it in silent passages vs when it wasn't engaged. Luckily with my current setup I don't have that issue even though my power amps probably only have a SINAD of 80 to 85

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir and others have posted much content on this topic. I'd suggest reading these threads to understand what goes in to audibility threshold calculations and preference scores and a more general understanding of what and how things matter to help you decide on what your standards should be. Sorry it's such a big list but there is so much good content and your preferred method of consumption may vary.

Top Bottom