• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audeze SINE Review (Closed Back Headphone)

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
In that pouch there is a filter. When I had to make an educated quess I would say there is a film capacitor (to tune the frequency), a 10uF bipolar capacitor and a 470uH SMD inductor in some shrink tubing.
Very similar to the treble filters I make but these have larger sized inductors and are mounted in a steel tube.
So the higher frequency distortion that Amir measured might not be a driver problem, but caused by the small L in the filter.

Veri

Master Contributor
Inside the cup there is a cloth 'bag' filled with damping material.
View attachment 160169

In that pouch there is a filter. When I had to make an educated quess I would say there is a film capacitor (to tune the frequency), a 10uF bipolar capacitor and a 470uH SMD inductor in some shrink tubing.
Very similar to the treble filters I make but these have larger sized inductors and are mounted in a steel tube.

The magnets inside pull the inductor towards the driver.
View attachment 160170
Very interesting solderdude. Awesome

solderdude

Grand Contributor
So the higher frequency distortion that Amir measured might not be a driver problem, but caused by the small L in the filter.
There is almost no distortion at the resonance frequency, not even at higher SPL.
The worst offender is between 5kHz and 8kHz but not many people will be enjoying music with those frequencies at 114 dB SPL or even 104dB SPL. Bass notes, in that case would probably be exceeding 120dB SPL and with Amirs EQ even 130dB SPL.
The bands where distortion occurs suggest the driver itself may be the issue.
A lot of planars have issues above 4kHz incl. some with sharp resonance often referred to as the 'ortho wall'.

The magnetic core of the inductor will be affected by the super strong magnetic field of the magnets close-by and may be saturated or close to being saturated.

I have measured a lot of headphones with filters and distortion isn't much different without them.

Last edited:

GaryH

Major Contributor
Here are some thoughts about the EQ.
Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF).
  • The range around and above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo the boosts and preamp gain need to be carefully considered to avoid issues
  • Not all units of the same product are made equal. The EQ is based on the measurements of a single unit.
  • YMMV with regards to the very unit you are trying this EQ on.
OK L/R match.

I have generated one EQ, the APO config file is attached.
Audeze drivers can take a lot of EQ but caution still applies.
This design might be problematic in terms of fitting on some heads/ears.
Tune the LF boost to your own fit.
Diffused field might be closer to the designed target...

Score no EQ: 72.2
Score Armirm: 83.0
Score with EQ: 94.5

Code:
Audeze SINE APO EQ Flat@HF 96000Hz
October182021-143551

Preamp: -12 dB

Filter 1: ON PK Fc 37.69 Hz Gain 12.00 dB Q 0.64
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 3247.19 Hz Gain -3.63 dB Q 3.98
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 5266.36 Hz Gain 7.00 dB Q 0.84
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 7694.66 Hz Gain -3.50 dB Q 4.00
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 12489.87 Hz Gain -6.57 dB Q 3.60

View attachment 159851

A better choice of filters (no high positive gain, high-Q filters which could induce audible ringing). Here's an even better choice of filters though:

Screenshot_20211022-033941_Acrobat for Samsung.png

Which allows for easy adjustment of the level of bass (band 2), treble (band 4), and 'airiness'/upper treble (band 7), as Oratory states on his EQ pdf for this headphone.

Veri

Master Contributor
A better choice of filters (no high positive gain, high-Q filters which could induce audible ringing). Here's an even better choice of filters though:

View attachment 160612

Which allows for easy adjustment of the level of bass (band 2), treble (band 4), and 'airiness'/upper treble (band 7), as Oratory states on his EQ pdf for this headphone.
This is what I use, based on the MSR7 oratory one. I don't like boosting the bass as much so this is perfect for me:

Screenshot 2021-10-22 at 09.44.04.png

antdroid

Reviewer
For those who have this headphone, I recommend the skull candy aviator pads (I have generic brand versions of it). Fits more comfortably and slightly larger and does not require adapter to be used.

graph (16).png

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Apparently, EQ has become the cure-all for everything that ails us with our audio components (hw/sw, as well as content), features, controls and their auditory contributions: Be they room-correction, power/pre-amp massaging, speaker-shortcomings, etc.
I will not even discuss EQ's love affair with headphones.

What is the purpose of being an educated-audiophile w/a trigger-finger continuously resting on the EQ button?
I may be the only dimwit audiophile with a disdain and/or a phobia for even the 'Tone Controls': Simply because I refuse to acknowledge that I spent (wasted?) my hard-earned money on p.o.s. audio gear that always seems to need an EQ!
I am not certain if EQ is a placebo or like pig's lipstick, or like the Chinese-food MSG (which went out of flavor decades ago).
Although I have my share of a chain of multiple audio hardware processing (my musical) content from source-to-load; complexity of additional EQ cannot be the only solution, especially if these EQ processes require meddling and tinkering instead of listening and enjoying.
I prefer to ByPass rather than EQ.

Do please shower me with that invisible "DISLIKE" button below this post! I don't mind and pink-panther don't scare me! Eeeeek!

Mauro

Does the headband flake with use? It looks to me standard protein leather… @solderdude I know you have been a long time user, have you had problems with headphone wearing?

I bought one to try out but I am not convinced by the leatherish material.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have no idea. Mine was 2nd hand and it still looks good. Only using it occasionally.

Leif

There is no indication if the review was performed using the cable with the digital dongle, or with the plain cable. The sound with each is significantly different.

I have these headphones, and found the clamping on my ears painful after 30 minutes or so of use. The ear pads fell apart, they are cheap plastic fabric glued together. I installed over ear pads which solved the discomfort issue. Then the digital cable failed. Finally an ear piece failed. Three years use and it falls to pieces with multiple problems, very very poor.

I loved the sound, very dynamic, but the build quality is terrible.

Leif

Does the headband flake with use? It looks to me standard protein leather… @solderdude I know you have been a long time user, have you had problems with headphone wearing?

I bought one to try out but I am not convinced by the leatherish material.
The headband is leather. The earpads are cheap plastic.

Leif

Getting the over the ear European leather version changes everything
Mine was a European one. I bought some leather over ear pads from Ukraine, marvelous, they transformed the headphones, until a speaker failed.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Getting the over the ear European leather version changes everything
The Sine for the EU was different than the US?

I have the Sine DX and it appears to be made of real leather all around.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine was a European one. I bought some leather over ear pads from Ukraine, marvelous, they transformed the headphones, until a speaker failed.
Audeze will replace the two speakers for $100

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can buy fine leather replacement over the ear pads from a company in Europe.
Interesting. Are those the Vesper pads you are talking about or something else? I’ve checked my Sine DX pads and they are soft and supple, but actually could be a synthetic material.

Top Bottom