• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audeze LCD-XC Review (Closed-back Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 12 6.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 77 41.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 94 50.0%

• Total voters

tinytempo

So, I have owned the XC for a while, and I found its sound to be okay-ish. But then I stumbled over this review here, and tried the EQ settings in Roon, and holy s***, what a difference this makes! I never tried EQing headphones, because I felt surely these expensive things sound like their designers intended them to, but apparently I was mistaken. It's a day and night difference. Same thing for my HD800S, the suggested EQ settings transformed the headphone. Thanks Amir for your hard work, much appreciated!

Greetings from Germany!

Jonne Haven

LCD-XC 2021 EQ Revision 12-03-22

This EQ Revision most religiously respects the Harman Target Curve 2018 from the frequencies 900Hz - 8000Hz. I did not just follow the Curve blindly, it was just after a lot of experimentation and trial and error that I discovered that there is just 'SOMETHING' about this Harman thing that is just spot on beautiful. Like chicken skin on songs I've heard 100s of times before. Amazing!

LCD-XC FR Post Update 120322.jpg

Sub bass is a horizontal line all of the way down to 20Hz for true flat sub bass extension for that extra bottomless slam available in songs that utilize these frequencies. 80Hz is emphasized as usual in my EQs to bring out the punch in kick drums. 300Hz and 740Hz are emphasized to bring out the top end of kick drums and the meatier parts of snare drums respectively.

I know that there are a lot of filters and I've been told that before. I have never heard any sound degradation in the year that I've been EQing with Equalizer APO and with the attached .txt file all you have to do is import it, no typing in values. Yes, I find it necessary to use a lot of filters, nuff said about that.

Preamp: -19.58 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 4.5 dB Q 1.3
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 27 Hz Gain 0.4 dB Q 6
Filter 3: ON LSC Fc 39.5 Hz Gain 6.3 dB Q 0.7
Filter 4: ON LSC Fc 40.2 Hz Gain 1.13 dB Q 4
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 80 Hz Gain 7.2 dB Q 1.79
Filter 6: ON LSC Fc 130 Hz Gain 7.42 dB Q 0.7
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 197 Hz Gain -8.7 dB Q 1.4
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 250 Hz Gain 6.97 dB Q 0.6
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 590 Hz Gain 2.45 dB Q 3.3
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 740 Hz Gain -1.27 dB Q 2.5
Filter 11: ON PK Fc 1015 Hz Gain -2.45 dB Q 1.5
Filter 12: ON PK Fc 1015 Hz Gain 2.9 dB Q 2.9
Filter 13: ON PK Fc 1300 Hz Gain 0.33 dB Q 3.2
Filter 14: ON PK Fc 1675 Hz Gain 1.55 dB Q 4.5
Filter 15: ON PK Fc 1800 Hz Gain -4.35 dB Q 0.9
Filter 16: ON PK Fc 2000 Hz Gain 0.3 dB Q 5
Filter 17: ON PK Fc 2350 Hz Gain 1.95 dB Q 4
Filter 18: ON PK Fc 2700 Hz Gain -0.47 dB Q 5
Filter 19: ON PK Fc 3050 Hz Gain 0.5 dB Q 4
Filter 20: ON PK Fc 3600 Hz Gain -0.35 dB Q 4
Filter 21: ON PK Fc 4000 Hz Gain 0.38 dB Q 4.5
Filter 22: ON PK Fc 4150 Hz Gain 4.2 dB Q 2.1
Filter 23: ON PK Fc 4300 Hz Gain 0.91 dB Q 2
Filter 24: ON PK Fc 5750 Hz Gain -3.82 dB Q 3.7
Filter 25: ON PK Fc 6500 Hz Gain 0.3 dB Q 2
Filter 26: ON PK Fc 7300 Hz Gain 2.1 dB Q 3
Filter 27: ON PK Fc 9000 Hz Gain -8.6 dB Q 6
Filter 28: ON HSC Fc 10000 Hz Gain 2.29 dB Q 1
Filter 29: ON HSC Fc 13000 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 2.7
Filter 30: ON PK Fc 19000 Hz Gain 1.47 dB Q 0.6
Filter 31: ON PK Fc 4900 Hz Gain -0.2 dB Q 4

If you want less or more bass, simply adjust the gain of filter 5 and then change the Pre-amp level back to -0.1.

I have a new respect for parts of the Harman Target Curve now. Make sure you have a powerful headphone amp and try it out for yourself, it will sound great on anything you play!

Blessings,
Jonne

Attachments

• LCD-XC EQ Post 120322.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Peterinvan

Might have missed it but how do these compare to the LCD-2 Closed Back?
Based on a short audition in my local store the LCD-XC is a much more refined (accurate?) sound.

I luck'd into a used pair (2019 Bubinga) and they are my reference phones at the moment.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't know about LCD-2.
I come from Hifiman edition XS.
To start, I love my edxs, still do.
This hifiman punches way above it class, in fact it competes with the LCD-XC .
I have had my XC for a little while, but until recently , I hadn't seriously listened to the.
The XC needs more EQ than Hifiman. Indeed the hifiman only needs a minor midrange boost, while the XC needs, lower bass boost, low mid boost, upper mid boost, upper treble cut. (big list).
But I like the Audeze better.
The imaging from hifiman is large and wide! too wide!
But the XC is smaller and more precise . The XC is faster and sharper, a little too sharp sometimes. Small details, such as second violin, or the odd harp, come out nice and clean, when hifiman muddles them together.
On comfort, hifiman wins everyday .
BTW, for curiosity , I removed the backs fro Audeze, turning them into open back!
They sounded fine!
FR took a hit, a small hit, but I could live with them if I had to.
My XC 2021 is a keeper. I just ordered the extended side rods, to fit my big head better :)

04gto

Hello.
I am very interested in this question.
I currently own the 2021 LCD-XC and for a short period I also had an LCD-2 Closed on hand. The areas where the XC bests the 2 closed by a good margin are in my opinion:
1. Clarity- the LCD-2 in direct comparison has a slight veil over the entire frequency range. Similar in going from an HD800 to a HD600.
2. Bass- Out of the box the LCD-2 is more impressive at first because the stock tuning is slightly more mid bass focused, whereas the XC is more flat and neutral. But after extended listening the XC has far superior extension, texture and detail down low and throughout the FR.
3. Accuracy- I think the stock tuning of the LCD-2 sounds a bit more natural but after applying EQ correction (same target) to both, the additional speed, staging and dynamics of the XC show the contrast between the two.
Where is the LCD-2 Closed better?
1. Weight- I think it weighs nearly 2 ounces less? So if you are very sensitive to weight, this may help you. The weight of the XC or LCD-2 do not bother me at all.
2. Warmth- Because the XC sound cleaner and more detailed, sharing every detail, good or bad, some may find it fatiguing. The LCD-2 on the other hand adds a bit of warmth, what some may describe as an analog smoothness or rounding of the notes. It is a very pleasing sound.

The above is how I hear it. I could definitely see a lot of people preferring the easy listening sound of the LCD-2 Closed over the XC. But for me, clarity is king.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An experiment LCD-XC owners
I wonder if XC-2021 users are willing to carryout an experiment and report back.
For me the XC sounds a bit bright and deep sub-bass shy.
I just removed one screw from the cups.
To me deep bass improves. I don't know if the distortion levels at bass would suffer or not, but I guess not, since the X-21 also has superb low distortion figures.
So if you please, remove one screw and live with them for a week and report back.
Then we see what's going on if enough people report back.
Just a warning. When tightening cup screws, finger tight will do. the threads on the cups are soft.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An experiment LCD-XC owners
I wonder if XC-2021 users are willing to carryout an experiment and report back.
For me the XC sounds a bit bright and deep sub-bass shy.
To me deep bass improves. I don't know if the distortion levels at bass would suffer or not, but I guess not, since the X-21 also has superb low distortion figures.
So if you please, remove one screw and live with them for a week and report back.
Then we see what's going on if enough people report back.
Just a warning. When tightening cup screws, finger tight will do. the threads on the cups are soft.
Or just use EQ rather than doing "physical mods" that provide unknown effects on the frequency response & distortion.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To me deep bass improves.
Are you going to measure this? Physical modification without measuring sounds like a good way to end up with a heap of parts and "better" (but actually, who knows) performance.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I EQ as little as possible. I am religious about it. ;)
If I can acoustically fix something, that's my first option.
Although in reality you'll probably acoustically mess up something! ;)

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you going to measure this? Physical modification without measuring sounds like a good way to end up with a heap of parts and "better" (but actually, who knows) performance.
No.
- I don't have the equipment.
- Headphone FR measurements are very! approximate.
If it sounds good to my ears, that's enough. The only measurement I wish I could do, is a distortion measurement.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No.
- I don't have the equipment.
- Headphone FR measurements are very! approximate.
If it sounds good to my ears, that's enough. The only measurement I wish I could do, is a distortion measurement.
(They're not even in the same level of approximation as your "physical mods" combined with no access to any measuring facilities, you're wading around in the dark.)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Possibly! I am not saying everybody should do it. If they feel like it, they can try. At any rate, it is very easily undoable.
Yeah, sure they can, but I'm just pointing out it's a waste of time really.

Top Bottom