• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audeze LCD-XC Review (Closed-back Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 12 6.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 77 41.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 94 50.0%

• Total voters

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wow Audeze must know that these HP's don't match the Harman Curve bass response, maybe this is what Audeze is after. I'm always surprised to see that none of the headphones out there match the Harman Curve. Maybe it can't be done, regards
Matching the Harman curve can be done: see DCA Stealth review. Some manufacturers target their own “house” signature, others like Audeze seems to prioritize minimum distortions, making their HP EQ-friendly to any personal preference. I like the later approach, and the LCD-XC seems to be a good example, unfortunately heavy on your head and… your wallet (for my budget!).

iraweiss

Seeing a stellar review of an expensive headphone should be expected.

When I re-read Amir's review of the HIFIMAN HE400SE at 1/10 the price I'm wondering where the law of diminishing returns sets in. Is the Audeze at least 10X as good as this particular HIFIMAN?

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Wow Audeze must know that these HP's don't match the Harman Curve bass response, maybe this is what Audeze is after. I'm always surprised to see that none of the headphones out there match the Harman Curve. Maybe it can't be done, regards

they target producers. so they go for a more neutral bass

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seeing a stellar review of an expensive headphone should be expected.

When I re-read Amir's review of the HIFIMAN HE400SE at 1/10 the price I'm wondering where the law of diminishing returns sets in. Is the Audeze at least 10X as good as this particular HIFIMAN?
Unfortunately, price of a headphone is no guarantee of it's performance. When Harman did some of their headphone research they charted headphone preference vs price, and there was no correlation.....if that trend would still sit today if they re-did the study, then I don't know, but there are some expensive howlers out there still, so I'm inclined to think price is still not related to quality of the listening experience. It's certainly not 10x better than the HE400SE! I mean we can't really quantify 10x better, but it's not 10x better in the loose sense of the word.

EDIT: the best approach to take when buying headphones is set yourself an upper limit of price (if you want/need to have a limit), then research all the headphones that sit under that limit and make your choices. You might get best results by buying all of your headphones on your short list at once so you can listen to them side by side along with any Harman EQ's you may or may not apply to them and send back the ones you don't like.

Last edited:

CopperFox

That's about right @someguyontheinternet judging from the graph:
index.php

You're at around 95dB RMS at 1kHz so the 114dB distortion graph would be showing you what the bass distortion would be like if you had a 20dB bass boost whilst still at 95dB RMS at 1kHz.

Does it really?

It depends on how the measurement software calibrates its output.

The software that I have used for this purpose (Room EQ Wizard) requires its output level to be calibrated at a specified frequency (I have used 300Hz). And if the 94, 104 and 114 db output levels in this headphone's measurements were calibrated to be those levels at 300hz, there would indeed be a bass deficiency at those levels as well compared to other headphones which follow the Harman curve more closely.

(Not to mention any uneven boundary gain effects from setting higher volumes, which tend to be towards the FR extremes).,

A more accurate and advanced software might indeed do distortion measurement sweeps so that it could set the output level to a particular level at any single frequency regardless of the transducer's frequency response. But wouldn't that require 19980 separate measurements to achieve distortion results from 20Hz to 20kHz?

So I would assume that the levels are calibrated at some specified single frequency, which would not erase the effects of bass deficiency on distortion levels.

Any comment from @amirm ?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it really?

It depends on how the measurement software calibrates its output.

The software that I have used for this purpose (Room EQ Wizard) requires its output level to be calibrated at a specified frequency (I have used 300Hz). And if the 94, 104 and 114 db output levels in this headphone's measurements were calibrated to be those levels at 300hz, there would indeed be a bass deficiency at those levels as well compared to other headphones which follow the Harman curve more closely.

(Not to mention any uneven boundary gain effects from setting higher volumes, which tend to be towards the FR extremes).,

A more accurate and advanced software might indeed do distortion measurement sweeps so that it could set the output level to a particular level at any single frequency regardless of the transducer's frequency response. But wouldn't that require 19980 separate measurements to achieve distortion results from 20Hz to 20kHz?

So I would assume that the levels are calibrated at some specified single frequency, which would not erase the effects of bass deficiency on distortion levels.

Any comment from @amirm ?
I think you're not fully understanding the graphs, as otherwise you wouldn't be asking these questions (which is fine).

The dB levels that Amir is quoting is at 425Hz, but that doesn't invalidate my prior post I wrote to you - that still all stands. You just have to imagine adding 20dB (the difference between 114dB-94dB distortion graphs) to the following frequency response graph to imagine where the bass would be with a +20dB bass boost (it would be at 112dB at 20Hz to name one point):
index.php

And as we know distortion is fine at 114dB, so it's not a problem adding a 20dB bass boost to this headphone:

index.php

Last edited:
I have a pre-2021 version of those, and vastly prefer their out-of-the-box sound over that of all my other headphones (Ether CX, HD660S, DT 177X GO). The weight is actually a boon for me, because I'm autistic, and they are like the headphone equivalent of a weighted blanket for me.

Tks

Major Contributor
I do own one, I like its sound, yet I voted "not terrible", because after a while, when I wear it, the weight and pain (pressure will the carbon headband) becomes unbearable for me = not acceptable IMHO.
It is excellent that Amir put the weight chart on top position, people should not overlook this major issue.

This is basically my single problem with Audeze. They'll never get this ergonomic issue rectified with weight this much.

Seems they might have fixed using those thin, terrible stretchy headSTRAPS (the ones that would give enough to where the metal or carbon headBAND would begin to dig into your skull).

Still the headphone is too heavy for hours long sessions (I liked to use mine while on the desktop as my general audio listening device). They're also heavy and unbalanced enough to where head movement will cause them to slide.

So if you're one of those people who want to use these without resting your head on the back of anything, and sit up straight for a bit. Then LCD's are great. For anyone else, they're simply THAT bad ergonomically speaking.

CopperFox

I think you're not fully understanding the graphs, as otherwise you wouldn't be asking these questions (which is fine).

The dB levels that Amir is quoting is at 425Hz, but that doesn't invalidate my prior post I wrote to you - that still all stands. You just have to imagine adding 20dB (the difference between 114dB-94dB distortion graphs) to the following frequency response graph to imagine where the bass would be with a +20dB bass boost (it would be at 112dB at 20Hz to name one point):
index.php

And as we know distortion is fine at 114dB, so it's not a problem adding a 20dB bass boost to this headphone:

index.php

If this is 114db at 425hz, there is only an amount of bass equal to that which a more harman-correct headphone would have at somewhere around 94db to 100db.

And there isn't any method to deduce from this graph how much bass distortion this headphone would have if its bass were increased to the level of a more Harman-correct headphone.

wemist01

Seems like Audeze did a lot right with this one. However that weight is probably a dealbreaker for a considerable chunk of users.
Some weight is fine, but if it's heavy enough to distract the listeners from the music, it's simply too much.

Hey, I'll admit the weight could be too much for some people. What I notice when I put on my other, lighter headphones, is the pads touching the back of my ears. The Audeze are more comfortable.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If this is 114db at 425hz, there is only an amount of bass equal to that which a more harman-correct headphone would have at somewhere around 94db to 100db.

And there isn't any method to deduce from this graph how much bass distortion this headphone would have if its bass were increased to the level of a more Harman-correct headphone.
But, if bass distortion is bugger all at 114db @420hz it's a useful comparator to other cans measured in the same way, no?

Red@

Is this the 2020 or the pre-2021 version ersion ?
they have different FR. And if I’am not mistaken, the built-in profile is for the pre-2021 version. maybe @amirm can post the measurement post eq for his profile against the built-in one in order to verify this.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this the 2020 or the pre-2021 version ersion ?
they have different FR. And if I’am not mistaken, the built-in profile is for the pre-2021 version. maybe @amirm can post the measurement post eq for his profile against the built-in one in order to verify this.
Carbon cups are 2021 no? Or is there 2 versions of the carbon cups? (audeze have far too many silent revisions but at least it's not Hifiman)

Edit amirm says he has had these 6 months direct from audeze before this was published.

Red@

And a honest question for the guys who voted great: what are your creteria in a headphone ?
the xc’s FR is not easy to eq. It has a very bad peak towards 6khz ( unatural “s” lettre that sound like a hissing). It is very heavy so uncomfortable for long sessions.
if we go about giving great to all products. It becomes binary; either golf or headless...

Red@

Carbon cups are 2021 no? Or is there 2 versions of the carbon cups? (audeze have far too many silent revisions but at least it's not Hifiman)

Edit amirm says he has had these 6 months direct from audeze before this was published.
No, carbon exist before the 2021 revision. @amirm More precision regarding the revision is required in this review. as it is , it would give uninformed people a wrong assessement of the XC’s if they are buying a different revisions (The differences are noticeable)

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No carbon exist before the 2021 revision. @amirm More precision regarding the revision is required in this review. as it is , it would give uninformed people a wrong assessement of the XC’s if they are buying a different revisions
Well these are early to mid 21 model but no idea when the change was then. I assume they sent him the new /upcoming model

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks Amir and Audeze. This is a pleasant surprise. I am really impressed by what Audeze has accomplished here in terms of raw frequency response and low distortion, as well as Amir's reports of good spatiality. Maybe I should sell my 2020 LCD-X and pick up a pair of these. I don't mind the weight of this style. Mine have the steel suspension headband, and I am happy with the feel. Focals, and especially HD800s are more comfortable to me, but I don't have a problem with heavy Audeze headphones per se.

Top Bottom