• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audeze LCD-XC Review (Closed-back Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 12 6.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 76 40.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 94 50.3%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't do it then!
My headphone, my risk, my time.
Just trying to get you to see the light, and also being sensible about making sure other people know the problems associated with doing physical mods (especially when you don't have access to reliable (or any) headphone measurement gear).

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just trying to get you to see the light, and also being sensible about making sure other people know the problems associated with doing physical mods (especially when you don't have access to reliable (or any) headphone measurement gear).
Thank you. Consider me enlightened. :)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No problem doing mods on your own gear but Robbo is right to caution others about it. Also, if we're talking changes in bass, that tends to be measurable on headphones. And, as far as it goes, if you can get repeatable placement, relative measurements after mods are still useful even if your measurement jig isn't SOTA / standard.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No problem doing mods on your own gear but Robbo is right to caution others about it. Also, if we're talking changes in bass, that tends to be measurable on headphones. And, as far as it goes, if you can get repeatable placement, relative measurements after mods are still useful even if your measurement jig isn't SOTA / standard.
This is getting a bit tedious.
Let's keep things real, shall we.
If I wear my glasses, I create a far bigger gap on the ear side of the the diaphragms , than I would create removing one out of four of 3mm screws on the back side of the diaphragms .
So causing unbetold damage to the headphones is taking it a bit too far.
The experiment is completely reversable. Nobody's headphones is getting damaged.
I am not forcing anyone to do anything. Frankly, THIS argument, is a waste of time.
BTW, ofcourse the change (if any) would be detectable, I just find my ears, enough for myself.
If anyone does not want to remove one screw and listen for any changes, please don't .
But trust me it won't stop earth from rotating.

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's an interesting experiment, if it really does impact bass performance (nothing personal, I just don't trust ears-on reports very much in these situations, you understand) that would be pretty neat. And agree that it's a relatively safe mod. But I do admire your boldness in being willing to modify $1200 cans. :)

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's an interesting experiment, if it really does impact bass performance (nothing personal, I just don't trust ears-on reports very much in these situations, you understand) :)
Hence why I am asking others to verify it. if enough numbers can repeat an experiment and get same results, then ....
I posted on headfi to reach more people. Someone replied with a link to a similar post from 2 years ago. So I wasn't the first.

Post in thread 'AUDEZE LCD XC' https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-lcd-xc.691151/post-15481581

GaryH

Major Contributor
Hence why I am asking others to verify it. if enough numbers can repeat an experiment and get same results, then ....
Then...instead of your one uncontrolled, anectdotal report subject to innumerable cognitive biases you would have a load of uncontrolled, anecdotal reports subject to innumerable cognitive biases, plus now bias-primed by your anecdotal report. That's not a valid experiment. Could removing a screw create an audible-level Helmholtz resonance in the bass (potentially at the expense of reduced SPL between the Helmholtz and mechanical driver resonance and higher distortion) due to breaking the seal? Maybe. Only an actual experiment in the form of acoustic measurements and/or controlled blind listening tests would give you a valid answer.

Last edited:

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then...instead of your one uncontrolled, anectdotal report subject to innumerable cognitive biases you would have a load of uncontrolled, anecdotal reports subject to innumerable cognitive biases, plus now bias-primed by your anecdotal report. That's not a valid experiment. Could removing a screw create an audible Helmholtz resonance in the mid/upper bass (at the expense of decreasing the sub-bass) due to breaking the front-volume seal? Maybe. Only an actual experiment in the form of either acoustic measurements or controlled blind listening tests would give you a valid answer.
Wow, wow! how many anectdotal uncontrolled crimes have I committed ?
Why don't yiu wait and see if any results come in?
Oh I see, I have already muddied the waters with my uncontrolled anect-whatever biased unscientific suggestions.
Its just one screw, don't screw me over it.
Give over!
:)

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, wow! how many anectdotal uncontrolled crimes have I committed ?
Why don't yiu wait and see if any results come in?
Oh I see, I have already muddied the waters with my uncontrolled anect-whatever biased unscientific suggestions.
Its just one screw, don't screw me over it.
Give over!
:)
I was gonna give it a try but thankfully I have been informed to the fact that your experiment was not double blind tested and peer reviewed. How dare you play around with your own headphones and talk about them publicly on an internet forum, all the while very well knowing these so called experiementations do not meet the minimum standards of scientific method. Shame on you Sir, shame on you.

markanini

Major Contributor
I appreciate subjective impressions being shared. I'd be more concerned with buying premium headphone that needs modding to sound good. If it were me I'd request a fix or Audeze directly, alternatively request Audeze to green light replacements in case mod attempts go wrong. That should be a mutually beneficial arrangement considering the exposure of a possible successful mod will benefit Audeze. That's roughly analogous to the terms EVGA gave consumers that received a run of GPUs with underperforming cooling.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I appreciate subjective impressions being shared. I'd be more concerned with buying premium headphone that needs modding to sound good. If it were me I'd request a fix or Audeze directly, alternatively request Audeze to green light replacements in case mod attempts go wrong. That should be a mutually beneficial arrangement considering the exposure of a possible successful mod will benefit Audeze. That's roughly analogous to the terms EVGA gave consumers that received a run of GPUs with underperforming cooling.
For one, it is just a simple experiment to see if it is just me, or it can be repeated.
Taking one screw out is just a temporary test. it is not a mod. as such.
Modding is for fun. Audeze engineers know their stuff, they harfly need me.
What are the chances of a manufacturer to green-light tampering?
Besides, the XC is fine as is, that's why i bought one!
I am just trying to fine tune, not cure.
Call it physical a EQ, to suit ones ears.
The scientist members among us, have blown this thing out of proportion .
I told my wife the stew could do with a bit more salt, imagine she coming back, telling me
- have you done a PH test on it?
- did you taste it in a blind test and get 8 out of 10 right?
Its just a dash of salt to my liking, I am not deciding the faith of humanity.

markanini

Major Contributor
For one, it is just a simple experiment to see if it is just me, or it can be repeated.
Taking one screw out is just a temporary test. it is not a mod. as such.
Modding is for fun. Audeze engineers know their stuff, they harfly need me.
What are the chances of a manufacturer to green-light tampering?
Besides, the XC is fine as is, that's why i bought one!
I am just trying to fine tune, not cure.
Call it physical a EQ, to suit ones ears.
The scientist members among us, have blown this thing out of proportion .
I told my wife the stew could do with a bit more salt, imagine she coming back, telling me
- have you done a PH test on it?
- did you taste it in a blind test and get 8 out of 10 right?
Its just a dash of salt to my liking, I am not deciding the faith of humanity.
Just saying what I'd do, not telling you what to do. I don't think the engineers should take it as an insult or anything, there's factors they can't control between R&D and production. When consumers find a solution like the HD800 SDR mod it does end it being implemented in a revised product, so it can't be useless to reach out. They speak your language and probably appreciate your interest unlike bigger brands. It's just a request, not a demand, at worst they don't reply or decline, nothing is lost.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just saying what I'd do, not telling you what to do. I don't think the engineers should take it as an insult or anything, there's factors they can't control between R&D and production. When consumers find a solution like the HD800 SDR mod it does end it being implemented in a revised product, so it can't be useless to reach out. They speak your language and probably appreciate your interest unlike bigger brands. It's just a request, not a demand, at worst they don't reply or decline, nothing is lost.
I probably will take your suggestion if enough people come back with positive results.
So far, it is just a few of us.
Thanx.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I probably will take your suggestion if enough people come back with positive results.
So far, it is just a few of us.
Thanx.
Just measure the headphone on a rig that's reliable (repeatable results) both before & after mod if you're gonna bother to do this otherwise you're wasting everyone's time who might be persuaded to try your mod idea, or find someone with a measurement rig who owns the headphone so they can measure it & do the mod. Either way it's all a bit moot when you can use EQ at the drop of a hat. And in terms of the company listening to your findings for some kind of "fix", they won't take you seriously if you don't have measurements to show the difference - or they shouldn't anyway.

markanini

Major Contributor
And in terms of the company listening to your findings for some kind of "fix", they won't take you seriously if you don't have measurements to show the difference - or they shouldn't anyway.
Given the chance it might be difficult, if not impossible, to entertain that particular conversation. You would have to show them great humility and enthusiasm for their work from the outset. Basic social engineering tool set, it lead to some people receiving early production samples when reaching out to some brands.

Frankly I don't think the engineers would enjoy discussing measurements. By all means seek ut measurements for your own use, and the community, if you can. For the engineer it could be an annoying reminder of how things change between R&D and production. OTOH management would be happy to know about moddig as long as it keeps the conversation going about their product, that's a more of a positive frame.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just measure the headphone on a rig that's reliable (repeatable results) both before & after mod if you're gonna bother to do this otherwise you're wasting everyone's time who might be persuaded to try your mod idea, or find someone with a measurement rig who owns the headphone so they can measure it & do the mod. Either way it's all a bit moot when you can use EQ at the drop of a hat. And in terms of the company listening to your findings for some kind of "fix", they won't take you seriously if you don't have measurements to show the difference - or they shouldn't anyway.
What mod?
it is not a mod! not yet.
As explained before, I do not have access to testing gear to keep measurement scientists such as yourself happy with colourful graphs.
Perhaps, an XC-21 owner with measuring gear, can supply one, just wait and see.
This is merely a first step experiment, removing one screw out of four is neither difficult nor irreversible, nor a mod.
I am just investigating to see if others can verify it.
it is a 30 second experiment + some auditioning.
Frankly, arguing with you, whom I believe does not even have an XC-21, is wasting everybody's time.
So you voiced your objection, now you need a graph or else!?
Once again, there is no mod - if results come in positive, i.e. others confirm a change, then we sit down and think of a mod. or forget about it.
BTW, measuring gear for headphone FR are mostly unreliable, as tiny gaps here or there would influence the bass response.
Just check the web. for this very headphones, FR graphs from different sources do not all agree, specially at bass.
You go ahead and EQ the living daylight out of yours, let me foolishly tamper with mine.
I am gonna stop arguing, you are correct, this is a waste of time.

1676639391274.png
1676640435921.png

49f6f5d0a33c45fcd12cb580afc6aeccfbcbae8e.jpeg
1676640618841.png

Attachments

• 1676640553612.png
    1676640553612.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Given the chance it might be difficult, if not impossible, to entertain that particular conversation. You would have to show them great humility and enthusiasm for their work from the outset. Basic social engineering tool set, it lead to some people receiving early production samples when reaching out to some brands.

Frankly I don't think the engineers would enjoy discussing measurements. By all means seek ut measurements for your own use, and the community, if you can. For the engineer it could be an annoying reminder of how things change between R&D and production. OTOH management would be happy to know about moddig as long as it keeps the conversation going about their product, that's a more of a positive frame.
(pointless tangential diversion combined with absurd arguments implying engineers are more likely to listen to subjective rumour rather than measurements)
What mod?
it is not a mod! not yet.
As explained before, I do not have access to testing gear to keep measurement scientists such as yourself happy with colourful graphs.
Perhaps, an XC-21 owner with measuring gear, can supply one, just wait and see.
This is merely a first step experiment, removing one screw out of four is neither difficult nor irreversible, nor a mod.
I am just investigating to see if others can verify it.
it is a 30 second experiment + some auditioning.
Frankly, arguing with you, whom I believe does not even have an XC-21, is wasting everybody's time.
So you voiced your objection, now you need a graph or else!?
Once again, there is no mod - if results come in positive, i.e. others confirm a change, then we sit down and think of a mod. or forget about it.
BTW, measuring gear for headphone FR are mostly unreliable, as tiny gaps here or there would influence the bass response.
Just check the web. for this very headphones, FR graphs from different sources do not all agree, specially at bass.
You go ahead and EQ the living daylight out of yours, let me foolishly tamper with mine.
I am gonna stop arguing, you are correct, this is a waste of time.

View attachment 265384 View attachment 265385

49f6f5d0a33c45fcd12cb580afc6aeccfbcbae8e.jpeg
View attachment 265387
I'll let you paddle around in the dark then. (just as long as everybody knows the drawbacks)

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Off the topic of mods and the wisdom of performing them, I have a practical question:

Does anyone know how to tell by looking whether a given LCD XC is the 2021 model or, the 2014 model? At some point I would like to buy some, but probably secondhand (save $300-400 this way) and not all listings provide the model year.

Top Bottom