• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audeze lcd 2F or Classic

W2S

Hi All

Just a quick question I already own a pair of Audeze lcd 2F in bamboo

But my go to headphones my Oppo PM-3 are starting to show signs of wear and tear and with spares had to get now with Oppo out the headphones business I feel this will be my franking mob as some point

So the question is which pair to take over from my oppos

Been offer the Audeze LCD2F 2016 model in aluminium with case for £522 Inc delivery A+ factory Refurbished with 3year warranty

Or get the

Audeze LCD Classic for £509 Inc delivery not heard the classic so if someone that has both

Could you please let me know your thoughts

Thanks

I

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'll recommend going with the Classic due to it having the new suspension headband.
The old headband creates a hotspot on top of your head that makes the headphones unbearable to wear for more than 30 minutes.

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I only own the LCD2C. From what I've read of other people's impressions and looking at measurements, the Classic is a bit more mid forward, darker and has a less even treble response than the fazored version.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
LCD2 Classic vs LCD2 fazor

lcd2f-vs-lcd2classic.png

The Classic is a tiny bit 'darker' and has +3dB hump in the mids making it slightly more forward sounding (as pwjazz already mentioned).

Don't have Oppo measurements to compare.

Kyle / MrHeeHo

I'll recommend going with the Classic due to it having the new suspension headband.
The old headband creates a hotspot on top of your head that makes the headphones unbearable to wear for more than 30 minutes.
All Audeze headphones come with the new headband by default now

OP
W

W2S

Thanks Everyone for your comments and Solderdude for the graph

Gone with the LCD2 Classic just waiting for delivery now

As I already own the LCD2F bit pointless in having two of the same headphones

Or if someone need a comparison let me know

Kyle / MrHeeHo

He said the LCD-2F were from 2016 though. If I remember correctly, the new headband arrived in 2017. Happy new year by the way ;)
he was pointing out that the LCD2C new comes with the new headband, all I did is that all NEW Audeze headphones come with it as well not just the 2C

artismo

The Oppo US site is offering the PM-2, refurbished for $399- same price as a PM-3 new. With parcel forwarding, it would probably come out to $450, not including customs. I love my PM-3s also. I dread the day the pads crap out and die.

I’m in the same boat as you, been eyeing the LCD2 pre-Fazor and Classics, as well as the Sundara.

Would you say that you personally can relax to your LCD2s? What are your impressions of the bamboo? I hear they have issues splitting sometimes.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find the Audeze LCD2C to be a superb headphone and not outlandishly pricey (certainly not in today's market full of expensive statement headphones). The thing that dissuaded me from buying is the weight, I found them a bit heavy and bulky and that I really felt it after a while. Terrific sound though.

OP
W

W2S

Hi All

Got the LCD2 Classic not had a chance to use them yet had nephew staying over

Great service and price from Home AV Direct order Thursday evening arrive Saturday

Still trying to decide on what amp & dac until them just me oppo HA 2 amp for now.

Did look at the Oppo pm-2 but with customs charges and having to ship back to the USA if any problems and oppo being out of the headphone business was a easy decision

My oppo pm-3 Headband is flaking which I've sorted out and the Earpads are fine at the moment

Some pics of the Audeze LCDs the classic has a more forward connection input

The LCD2F are from 2017 and shedua and not bamboo no cracking
IMAG0228.jpg
IMAG0227.jpg
IMAG0229.jpg
IMAG0231.jpg

Ntrax

Audio Company
Pad Roll for 2C, didnt have the privilege to measure them before on the stock pads.
Screenshot_20200420-195753.jpg
IMG_20200421_223231__01__01__01.jpg
IMG_20200420_164154__01.jpg
IMG_20191219_204522.jpg

Last edited:

Tachyon88

I have the LCD2C. Weight was never an issue, but I had to replace the strap because the metal would rest on my head. Now I can wear them for hour's.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Thanks Everyone for your comments and Solderdude for the graph
Gone with the LCD2 Classic just waiting for delivery now
As I already own the LCD2F bit pointless in having two of the same headphones
Or if someone need a comparison let me know
I had the LCD-2F 2014 drivers and upgraded them to the 2016 drivers. At the time I had a 2nd pair of LCD-2F with the 2014 drivers, so for a while I had both and could compare them back-to-back fast swtiching. It made a small but noticeable improvement in sound. Eventually I upgraded the second set and I still have 2 pair of LCD-2F with 2016 drivers - one at the office, one at home.

I prefer the "F" since it has flatter / more neutral frequency response. But they both have very low distortion and you can easily EQ either to sound close to the other.

Ntrax

Audio Company
I have the LCD2C. Weight was never an issue, but I had to replace the strap because the metal would rest on my head. Now I can wear them for hour's.
Normally I'll hang this way in my this photo
Normally I hang like this. So you give time for the strap to reshape and rest after each used.
FB_IMG_1586515276412.jpg

Ntrax

Audio Company
I had the LCD-2F 2014 drivers and upgraded them to the 2016 drivers. At the time I had a 2nd pair of LCD-2F with the 2014 drivers, so for a while I had both and could compare them back-to-back fast swtiching. It made a small but noticeable improvement in sound. Eventually I upgraded the second set and I still have 2 pair of LCD-2F with 2016 drivers - one at the office, one at home.

I prefer the "F" since it has flatter / more neutral frequency response. But they both have very low distortion and you can easily EQ either to sound close to the other.
It is, with the fazor on the sound really more precise, much better imaging, no more dead zone. More depth. Just some ppl like the blurry image. That's preference. No right no wrong. I prefer fazor, that's why I mod the 2C with it.

Tachyon88

@Ntrax The strap is stretchy, that's the problem. It need's to be much shorter in order to compensate for the stretch. The strap is very comfortable, but it took only a few minutes for the metal to touch my head. I was looking at their upgraded suspension strap, but it looked too close to the original and for the price, I wasn't going to risk it. I bought that lohb strap, but the one that is cut out of cow hide in the same shape as the stock strap, so it doesn't look all macgyverd.

That new mesh under the grills looks nice. Are they not using those pad's behind the grills anymore either ?

Ntrax

Audio Company
@Ntrax The strap is stretchy, that's the problem. It need's to be much shorter in order to compensate for the stretch. The strap is very comfortable, but it took only a few minutes for the metal to touch my head. I was looking at their upgraded suspension strap, but it looked too close to the original and for the price, I was going to risk it. I bought that lohb strap, but the one that is cut out of cow hide in the same shape as the stock strap, so it doesn't look all macgyverd.

That new mesh under the grills looks nice. Are they not using those pad's behind the grills anymore either ?
Hey man, first of all, I've gotten a replacement strep not long ago from Audeze because the strap previously was not in a good shape out of the box, so after a few months i decided to change them. To my surprise, they came thicker and not as soft and thin like the old ones. It does feel better. You may try to get from them if I'm not wrong is around 32bucks. Anyway since day 1 I've been hanging my 2C the way I showed you in the recent photo. As for the new mesh, I've search around and finally gotten some speakers dust cover mesh. They are fantastic. Open up the sound while keep dust from going in. I've seen those straps as well on eBay. Are they any better? And yes I've seen some new 2020 revision, they use mesh almost like mine but is close out completely. I have sure it give weird mids drop because as we listen to the 2C, you can try close it with your palm slowly towards the cups.. you will hear gradually muffled sound. So I assume it will only make it worst. Previous was foams which already bad imo. 2C are meant to be open.

Top Bottom