• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Attempting to reverse engineer the FX-Audio X6 USB interface!

InfinityWard

Hello. I have a FX Audio X6 DAC and I am looking to upgrade the USB interface card that comes installed in it. The SA9023 only offers 96khz max sample rate, and I would like to upgrade it to an XMOS chip.

The current SA9023 chip interfaces with the Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC.

As you can see in the picture the current board installed in the dac is modular and can be removed without soldering.

I dont know what pins go to where on the rest of the unit.

Has anyone done this before?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-05 at 14-21-22 14 1US $ 6% OFF DDC 01 DAC 03A Decoder USB Subcard SA9023 US...png
    Screenshot 2022-03-05 at 14-21-22 14 1US $ 6% OFF DDC 01 DAC 03A Decoder USB Subcard SA9023 US...png
    228.4 KB · Views: 118
  • Screenshot 2022-03-05 at 14-21-56 Hea62265b3da74f9483ec19d2abb24f421 jpg (WEBP Image, 1000 × 1...png
    Screenshot 2022-03-05 at 14-21-56 Hea62265b3da74f9483ec19d2abb24f421 jpg (WEBP Image, 1000 × 1...png
    178.6 KB · Views: 112

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
So my comments are not meant to discourage you from undertaking this project; could be fun and you could learn a few things along the way. But if you're primarily interested in upgrading the SQ of this DAC/amp by putting in an XMOS chip ... ehhh, there are better options for how you spend your time & money. Overall it's just not a great piece of kit.
It's a passable device given what it costs. I just know for myself I'd be uncomfortable putting more money into it. I think you're better off upgrading to a new DAC/amp that has the features you want. (e.g. 192kHz sample rate.)

OP
InfinityWard

InfinityWard

So my comments are not meant to discourage you from undertaking this project; could be fun and you could learn a few things along the way. But if you're primarily interested in upgrading the SQ of this DAC/amp by putting in an XMOS chip ... ehhh, there are better options for how you spend your time & money. Overall it's just not a great piece of kit.
It's a passable device given what it costs. I just know for myself I'd be uncomfortable putting more money into it. I think you're better off upgrading to a new DAC/amp that has the features you want. (e.g. 192kHz sample rate.)
Hi Rick.

I had a iFi Zen DAC V2, but I had to sell it due to financial issues. I bought this DAC/AMP combo for $15, so I havent spent a ton of money. I mean, if you can help me find a better DAC/AMP for around $60 USD, I would appreciate it. I havent seen any combo dac/amps for that price range that are better than the X6.

Thank you.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Yeah, that’s a tight budget. I just wouldn’t want you to throw good money after bad. Even in a well-designed DAC with solid measurements I don’t think you’d be able to hear an audible improvement by upping the sample rate beyond 96kHz.

If you spend some time on eBay or make a WTB post here on ASR you might find a Topping DX3 Pro+ (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pping-dx3-pro-review-dac-headphone-amp.27148/) or its older sibling (DX3 Pro) for ~$100 used? Both are solid performers. Other ASR folks may have other suggestions.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Everything Rick says is correct. This could be fun to do if you're an electrical engineer but it's probably not going to sound any better even if you manage to pull it off. Buy something better or just enjoy what you have.

Top Bottom