• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Attempt to Add Amp to Yamaha AVR Thawrted

Brittainica

I'll start by outing myself as a noob who wants to learn. I received, according to the manufacturer's website, a "power amp" as a gift - or at this point, a practical joke. As I currently do not have a specific use for this "power amp", I attempted to use it with my AVR to power my front speakers and one sub.

I connected an RCA cable to my AVRs pre-out with the other end connected to Input 1 on my amp. I disconnected my front speakers and one sub from the AVR and connected them to the amp.

When I attempted to run YPRO, I received the dreaded error indicating that there were no front speakers. Similarly when I did a tone test, nothing doing from the front speakers.

I should add that although my AVR just splits the two subs, there are two separate pre-outs for the subs. I left one connected to the AVR and connected the other to the amp.

I attempted to turn off the internal AVR amp for the front speakers, but saw no option for this. The manual is either completely disinterested in explaining what you do after connecting an amp via the pre-out or I'm too thick to understand.

In my very amature opinion, I suspect: the below-listed "power amp" is not, in fact a power amp and cannot be used in the way I wanted, or, maybe by leaving a sub connected to the sub pre-out on the AVR the front pre-out is shut off?

I would be grateful for any assistance.

My so-so system:

Yamaha TSR-7850 AVR
SMSL A300 "Power" Amp
Front speakers and subs are Klipsch

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sounds like you need to set up the AVR to output to the pre outs, and not expect anything connecting to the speaker terminals.

There is also no point connecting the sub to the amp. The amp output has only rudimentary sub integration compared with the AVR (Can't output LFE for example)

Finally the amp in the AVR is better than the A300 in any case, so this is all pretty futile unless you are simply trying to test the amp.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, @tonycollinet is never wrong with his counsel... May I have the suspicious SMSL A300 "power amp" that you will have no use for?;)

OP
B

Brittainica

Unfortunately perhaps, though fortunately for me, I devised a plan to use the A300. It will serve as motivation to finish clearing out my garage and putting to use the extra speakers I have. If I run into additional problems with the A300, however, I'll let you know!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately perhaps, though fortunately for me, I devised a plan to use the A300. It will serve as motivation to finish clearing out my garage and putting to use the extra speakers I have. If I run into additional problems with the A300, however, I'll let you know!
That is a good use for it. And using currently unwanted speakers. :)

Top Bottom