• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Atoll M200 vs Hypex

bravehearTM

Hi guys ... I am hopping you can help me make a decision on my next amp purchase. I currently have a Primare I22 paired with a pair of Quad Z2 speakers and would like to improve on the amplifier. While my Primare plays really nice at loud volumes, I feel it struggles at low volume.

I got an offer for a new Atoll AM200 which I can buy for the same price as an amp based on Hypex NC500. How would the Hypex amp compare to Atoll AM200 and Primare i22?

Last edited:

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If it struggles at low volume, you amp is not the issue and changing it won’t make a difference. A loudness control or different speakers will.

OP
B

bravehearTM

Not so sure about that ... I've read the stereophile review on primare i22 where they also noticed that it struggles at lower volumes.
Anyway, might upgrade the amp anyway ... what is your take on the Atoll A200 vs hypex ?

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem is the subjective reviewers observations don't comport with reality. An amplifier takes a signal and amplifies it at a set multiplication. This occurs until the amplifier runs out of power (starts clipping). At any level below clipping the relationship between an input and output is linear, it doesn't change.

Personally, I would pick the NC500 amplifier over the Atoll, higher power, excellent measurements, less heat.

At the end of the day, I think you may be looking for someone to validate your subjective impressions and talk about nonexistent differences in the sound of amplifiers. If that is the case, there are plethora of sites that will give you the feedback your are looking for, but this isn't one of them. If you are looking for objective information and responses, then you are in the right place, but you should be prepared that the responses you receive may not be what you want to hear.

Geert

Major Contributor
I'm happy whith my Atoll IN200 Sig, that's the integrated amp. I often use it at low volumes, but my DRC target curve is also optimized for that. Regarding objective data; Atoll amps have a lot higher distortion than Hypex amps. The audible effect of that is another discussion.

OP
B

bravehearTM

I'm happy whith my Atoll IN200 Sig, that's the integrated amp. I often use it at low volumes, but my DRC target curve is also optimized for that. Regarding objective data; Atoll amps have a lot higher distortion than Hypex amps. The audible effect of that is another discussion.

Good to know ... thanks Geert. Have you had the chance to compare the two side-by-side? Is there an area where the Atoll would win over the Hypex?
How about my Primare I22 ... did anyone had a chance to compare it with Hypex or Atoll?

Geert

Major Contributor
No direct comparison with Hypex. Compared to other amps the Atoll seems to be pretty neutral.

OP
B

bravehearTM

It's crazy difficult to make a decision without auditioning. What do you think ... should I keep the Primare and play with DRC filters to tune the sound? May I know what do you use for DRC?

Geert

Major Contributor
I use Brutefir on a NUC with Ubuntu, and currently looking into switching to CamillaDSP. That's DIY, but nowadays there are lots of of the shelve solutions.

In a lot of cases DSP is one of the best upgrades you can do. If your room happens to have issues with bass (sounds boomy) than it would be a good investment anyway.

OP
B

bravehearTM

thanks for the advice, I will definitely check this out. You talked earlier about a target curve ... Could you suggest a few examples of target DRC curves?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Curious, how does this "struggling" manifest itself?

OP
B

bravehearTM

Thanks guys for all the help so far. I have decided to keep the primare for now ... I will focusing instead in replacing my player and setting up DRC

OP
B

bravehearTM

I love them. I did actually buy the Z1's first and 1 month later I bought the Z2's. I have kept both for 360 Reality Audio and Dolby Atmos Music

Top Bottom