• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Atoll Electronique AM400 Power amplifier.

Pjetrof

All,

Could someone give some information, measurements, experience about this power amp.
Apart from what is written by manufacturer them self cannot find anything sinad measurements objective if this is
boutique amplifier or a good class ab manufacture.
Can someone help pls.
https://www.atoll-electronique.com/en/power-amplifier-am400/

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Distortion at 1kHz : 0,05%

I don't know at what load that is, but at 200W (8ohm) my amplifier is at <0,001% at 1kHz and costs a fraction of the price.

OP
Pjetrof

Pjetrof

I don't know at what load that is, but at 200W (8ohm) my amplifier is at <0,001% at 1kHz and costs a fraction of the price.

so not very good?

OP
Pjetrof

Pjetrof

sorry maybe dumb question do you hear difference between 0,001 and 0,05 % both seems very low to me.

sabristol

Forum Donor
I would say that a single THD figure at a single freq isn't enough to determine if it's good. Need to know THD v.s. power, THD v.s. Freq. IMD too.

OP
Pjetrof

Pjetrof

I would say that a single THD figure at a single freq isn't enough to determine if it's good. Need to know THD v.s. power, THD v.s. Freq. IMD too.

thx thats why i asked the question here, I can’t find nothing objective on the net

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I agree, but Atoll doesn't share it. For my own amplifier I can look up everything. Regardless, having 0,05%THD at 1kHz is pretty high even if it is at maximum rated output. For my amp its <0,001% at its rated output.

OP
Pjetrof

Pjetrof

Thx everyone indeed the benchmark is the best measured amp, whatever that means or if it is audible yes or no.
I live in Belgium, Benchmark is made USA.
Atoll company in France apparently they use good components and source everything even the printboard out of europe.
I like the uniformity the look, like to buy there pre amp streamer dac st200, and combine that with their amp.
i could uf course combine it with the Benchmark. Just hoped someone on here could share some lights if this company especially their totl amp is any good and if the reviews are no lies. how the system look i like as well uf course it does do nothing to the sound. I like the benchmark as well and combine it with their dac, price simalar but which streamer then. I know cca 50 bucks sound same. But i like everything a bit in same price bracket. Any thoughts?

OP
Pjetrof

Pjetrof

Also i like companies who exist let say plus 20 years, and operate them selfs. Not big chinese companies, who owns several diffrent brands, in unknown factories etc etc. If you buy brand a or b or c its all the same just different case and name.
atoll got own company 12 people employed with normal work circumstances. From design to final product they make it themselves
or sourced in France. Owned by two brothers. Etc.
Indeed like Benchmark just if i go that route i need separate streamer.
As source i use only Tidal. Don’t use roon, cd or vinyl just Tidal.

sabristol

Forum Donor
The purpose of this site is audio science - i.e. to eradicate the subjectivism that pervades the hifi industry. However, I and I'm sure others accept there are more criteria to selecting anything that pure technical specifications. I mean do we buy a car because it has the highest top speed or largest boot? No of course not.

If the specification of the Atol is good enough for you, and it ticks your other criteria then go for it. At the end of the day it's a personal choice.

I'm currently happy with a 1970 Luxman amplifier that has not much more than good looks and nostalgia going for it when compared to what can be achieved today.

jae

Major Contributor
If you are after something like the Benchmark but don't want to spend the money, $900-1800 will get you Purifi-based amp. The modules are designed by the brilliant Bruno Putzeys, a countryman of yours from Belgium. French company https://www.audiophonics.fr has a few different amps using the Purifi modules. It will even give you more power than the Benchmark with comparable specs.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...ass-d-stereo-purifi-2x400w-4-ohm-p-14393.html

Edit: that site also has monoblocks and 4 channel versions

DSJR

Major Contributor
The car analogy is a good one in the basics, as in the UK market, you can have three makers selling basically the same car chassis and an identical floor pan, engine, suspension and so on but with styling and colour differences on top. Also, slight pricing differences and dealer locality would be the things to help dictate choice if the rest of the cars do the job for you.

This amp is a MOS-FET output design - are there still issues using these (matching the + and - halves for minimum crossover issues) or was the entire 'MOS-FET Sound' an audiophool nonsense? I have an HH amp here bit the lean tones are as much to so with its sub 20Hz brickwall filter than anything else I think, so not really fair to judge subjectively.

jae

Major Contributor
Dac/streamer suggestion for the purifi amp: https://www.oktoresearch.com/dac8stereo.htm

Has a raspberry pi in it so you can use tidal via software like moode/volumio that you can install on it yourself

It is slightly smaller width than the audiophonics amp, and would sit on top of it nicely.

Geert

Major Contributor

jae

Major Contributor

I've seen these around, didn't know they were at a comparable price range to some of the cheaper ones like audiophonics, vtv etc. I'm not a fan of the face plate branding but overall it's definitely one of the sleeker looking ones and the chassis is compact, too. I've seen some of these Purifi stereo builds go as high as €3000-5000, which is bordering on excess.

Top Bottom