• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Atmos speakers should be vertically or horizontally aligned?

GabrielPhoto

I have been trying to think of pros and cons but cant make up my mind.
So I have Polk OWM3 as my Atmos speakers. I aim then at the MLP but I cant make up my mind if I want them horizontal or vertical. Which way do you feel it makes more sense since I expect the Polk to have bigger off-axis response than vertically as is usually the case?
Thanks

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

Vertical alignment. Aimed at your seating, if possible.
I guess that makes sense so that horizontal spread "connects" better with the other speakers? That was my initial thought but was not sure.
Thanks

This is a bit off topic, but I see the speaker topper atmos speakers pushed. Would that sound lousy? Seems like bizarre addition.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
This is a bit off topic, but I see the speaker topper atmos speakers pushed. Would that sound lousy? Seems like bizarre addition.
This is only opinion... as I have not used them.

I've heard some report great success. I've heard others not have success.
Looking at the design, I think you really need to pay careful attention the geometry so that the main axis is reflecting back down to your LP. So distance, height, angle of incidence (I think optics apply, here) all need to match up.
Many derisively call these "bouncy house speakers."
If you have sloped ceilings, I would not recommend trying these.

Top Bottom