• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Atmos finally decoded in PC/Mac

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now for the good part. Purchase a license for the Dolby Media Encoder ($400 /yr).

nintchdbpict0003267145422.jpg

OP
retro

retro

Well, I think that's a small price to pay. Don't you?
And it's a one-time payment. U don't have to "subscribe".

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I think that's a small price to pay. Don't you?
And it's a one-time payment. U don't have to "subscribe".
Well considering that everything leading to that step is extremely illegal and most importantly extremely tedious it's a huge price to pay to be honest.

it's like asking some one to hold their left ear with their hands but they end up using the right hand to hold it.

OP
retro

retro

Illegal..? You think Dolby has laws made for them??
I think not.
You're extracting the audio from your own discs.
This is done using Dolby's software, which is paid for, so I see no real problem there..?

threni

Major Contributor
Not for your own use.

Come on, be positive instead. This is HUGE..:)
It's illegal to rip CDs for your own use in the UK. It's hard to imagine this is the only country with futile rules.

OP
retro

retro

It's illegal to rip CDs for your own use in the UK. It's hard to imagine this is the only country with futile rules.
Did a quick google and yeah, you're right. It's still illegal, to my surprise. But I hardly think anyone who has ripped their disc's to the harddrive has ever been charged or sentenced for such a major crime. Guess we're all criminals then..?!?

mkt

A minor note is that Apple Music and Apple TV on a Mac do atmos, which represents more content than I have on bluray. Still neat though.

OP
retro

retro

A minor note is that Apple Music and Apple TV on a Mac do atmos, which represents more content than I have on bluray. Still neat though.
They do, but only the lossy DD+ version. Full True HD Atmos is only found on BluRays. The article covers both.

HighImpactAV

This is only for the audio track so you can’t use it for movies.
Blu-rays aren’t the only source of lossless Atmos.

OP
retro

retro

For the moment, yes.
But solutions will come, I'm sure.

Which other sources do you mean..?

HighImpactAV

Kaleidescape has lossless Atmos.

I can currently record up to 24 channels of decoded Atmos as PCM, but have never felt the need even though I’ve primarily been an HTPC user. I do like to covert to multichannel flac the song during closing credits of movies for audio playback, but so far have only done 7.1. I’ll have to try an Atmos track.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Kaleidescape has lossless Atmos.

I can currently record up to 24 channels of decoded Atmos as PCM, but have never felt the need even though I’ve primarily been an HTPC user. I do like to covert to multichannel flac the song during closing credits of movies for audio playback, but so far have only done 7.1. I’ll have to try an Atmos track.
I absolutely hate with a purple passion brands that have all of this wonderful info about their gear, but don't tell you the price. Then you have to look for it or contact a dealer. Kaleidescape is even more expensive than I imagined once I found a price on it somewhere.

Katji

Major Contributor
Yes, SA.
...AKA "job creation."

The big thing now is sorting out legislation re data privacy and Google and Apple and so on. I'm keeping my eye on it every day, via EURACTIV RSS. UK busy with it parallel to EU and USA.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I usually like crazy schemes but you can't even watch effing Netflix in Dolby Atmos this way.
I don't know why you could not use it to watch Netflix inasmuch as you can get Netflix Atmos on their desktop app. The larger problem is how you get the decoded Dolby Atmos PCM to a multichannel DAC, and what DAC multi channel (other than a pair daisy-chained Octo DAC 8s) is able to decode 16 channels of the PCM digital stream? Can USB carry 16 PCM channels? I know that HDMI 2.0 will only carry 8 PCM channels.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know why you could not use it to watch Netflix inasmuch as you can get Netflix Atmos on their desktop app. The larger problem is how you get the decoded Dolby Atmos PCM to a multichannel DAC, and what DAC multi channel (other than a pair daisy-chained Octo DAC 8s) is able to decode 16 channels of the PCM digital stream? Can USB carry 16 PCM channels? I know that HDMI 2.0 will only carry 8 PCM channels.

I don't think 16 channels of PCM over USB 2.0 is too big of a hurdle, although as you note getting 16 channels of analog output in a single box can be a bit tough. For example the MOTU Ultralite Mk5 will do 18 channels at 96 kHz and 22 channels at 48 kHz.

If you can accept 48 kHz there are tons of pro audio options with 8-10 channels of analog output and ADAT I/O, ADAT can carry 8 channels at 48 kHz so sending 8 channels of ADAT from the first DAC to a second DAC gets you 16-18 channels pretty easy with no clock sync issues.

Michael

Top Bottom