• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Atmos finally decoded in PC/Mac

VoidX

The cards are generally not the problem. There are many cards pci-e or even USB dongles. The problem is actually getting the bitstream audio out. Most are locked to only accept LPCM. This should just be a software issue though (as well as a licensing thing).
HDMI audio is actually contained in the image. It could be extracted with their API.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
HDMI audio is actually contained in the image. It could be extracted with their API.
It’s not contained in the image ;). It’s just part of the data stream. The hardware does the deembedding for you. To receive bitstream audio you’ll need to offer the correct EDID to the source. This is however not something these capture cards expose as a configurable parameter. And then there is the HDCP to worry about.

Edit: this one seems to do it: https://www.magewell.com/kb/001030032/detail . The card is not cheap though.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Blackmagic.
Ah :) haven’t found any resources on that yet.

Don’t care too much for TrueHD personally. All streaming stuff is DD+ Atmos at best anyway.

VoidX

Ah :) haven’t found any resources on that yet.

Don’t care too much for TrueHD personally. All streaming stuff is DD+ Atmos at best anyway.
And if you just discard the DRC metadata, it's basically transparent. I honestly have no idea why anyone thought it was a good feature.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The old upmixer simply cut the signal to bands, and applied height by amplitude. The current upmixer is based on Spleeter for separating different kinds of sounds, and moves the ones marked as height to height channels.

What hardware did you use to test all these channels? It seems kind of difficult to find anything that works beyond 8 channels on Windows

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just tested with a subset of channels. I only have 8 channels, but I'm working on a player that supports multiple sound cards.
that would be excellent; any thoughts on how you'll sync their respective clocks? In my limited testing, OS X is great in that regard but I haven't seen anything as simple on Windows

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
so...decode to multichannel PCM in PC, then HDMI out to pre/amp (or AVR) HDMI in, then to speakers? Is that what we are talking about?

OP
retro

retro

so...decode to multichannel PCM in PC, then HDMI out to pre/amp (or AVR) HDMI in, then to speakers? Is that what we are talking about?
No. This is all about taking the HDMI restrictions and requirements out of the chain.
Read the thread from the start and also the articles on computeraudiophile.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, the point is to skip the AVR altogether :)

I wouldn't want to do that, given all the nice things I can do with my AVR.

So...you're talking about PC direct to powered speakers? Or with maybe some more DSP in between?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, but this about all the nice things it can’t do ;)
So...you're talking about PC direct to powered speakers? Or with maybe some more DSP in between?
Your PC is one massive DSP :) But sure, if you want an external one, that should be no problem.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I read that Google is trying to develop a open source multi channel codec

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, but this about all the nice things it can’t do ;)

Your PC is one massive DSP :) But sure, if you want an external one, that should be no problem.

Right, I mean applying e.g., room correction either in the PC downstream of decoding, or in a box between PC and speakers.

Axo1989

Major Contributor

I'm also in the 'skip the AVR' group.

But output to powered speaker, or amp then speakers, both ok. And DSP room EQ on the computer, or in a downstream device, also ok.

(As you say in the post above, exactly)

Digimaster

And if you just discard the DRC metadata, it's basically transparent. I honestly have no idea why anyone thought it was a good feature.
There are 2 reasons to prefer Atmos in TrueHD:
1) TrueHD is lossless, the difference when you listen in High quality HT is really big.
2) Streaming audio is Dynamic compressed to follow ITU 1770/1771 or EBU128 specs. Good for TV and soundbar, not for High quality HT listening.
So, please, don't discard Atmos in TrueHD: it's the only Atmos for HT ultimate experience.

Top Bottom